PDA

View Full Version : post limitations

esearing
20-Jan-2018, 09:31
In many of the post threads there are tit for tat personal arguments that do not add any value to the topic. Would it be possible to limit the number of times a user can post/reply in a given period? example 5 entries per day.

It seems to be more commons among those with high post counts and people who have pissed each other off over the years so maybe ramp it up for high volume users.

Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.

Sal Santamaura
20-Jan-2018, 10:36
...Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.Yeah, that's what this forum needs, mob rule. I think the probability of Tuan even considering such a mechanism is lower than my chance of winning Powerball. And I don't buy tickets. :)

I believe Sean is working on a 'ban from thread' function...You appear to be confused. This is the Large Format Photography Forum, not PHOTRIO. :D

Dan Fromm
20-Jan-2018, 13:39
Eric, further on reporting posts that you find, for whatever reason, obnoxious. We have some posters who I view as, um, deranged. I try not to respond to their, um, rants. When I see a rant as obnoxious and adding nothing to the discussion I report it. The moderators sometimes delete them. Consider doing the same. Cost little, sometimes yields the desired result.

So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.

LabRat
20-Jan-2018, 14:27
Eric, further on reporting posts that you find, for whatever reason, obnoxious. We have some posters who I view as, um, deranged. I try not to respond to their, um, rants. When I see a rant as obnoxious and adding nothing to the discussion I report it. The moderators sometimes delete them. Consider doing the same. Cost little, sometimes yields the desired result.

So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.

Like they say about cops; Where is a moderator when you need 'em!?!!! :/0

Steve K

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jan-2018, 14:46
[...] So you'll know, the moderators have deleted some of my posts. That's their job. Moderating.

It might be interesting if Mods could orphan objectionable posts along with the Mods' comments. Read only. No reply allowed. :)

(I'm studying Blockchain orphans. Forgive.)

Dan Fromm
20-Jan-2018, 15:47
It might be interesting if Mods could orphan objectionable posts along with the Mods' comments. Read only. No reply allowed. :)

(I'm studying Blockchain orphans. Forgive.)

One of the moderators' jobs is to cut off interminable pointless wrangles. At the risk of resurrecting one, an example is discussions about the true meaning of medium format. For a while, as fast as one thread was locked another arose, often as a comment on a post in the locked thread. I'm not sure we need more of that.

Jim Jones
20-Jan-2018, 20:07
Some members make valuable contributions to this site. Limiting their number of posts per day might prevent them from sharing their expertise.

Doremus Scudder
21-Jan-2018, 05:57
In many of the post threads there are tit for tat personal arguments that do not add any value to the topic. Would it be possible to limit the number of times a user can post/reply in a given period? example 5 entries per day.

It seems to be more commons among those with high post counts and people who have pissed each other off over the years so maybe ramp it up for high volume users.

Or even a method for other users to vote down replies in such a way that once they hit a threshold the content is removed.

Sure, there are back-and-forth exchanges in many threads that sometimes get out of hand. IM-HO, the moderators have done an exemplary job judiciously deleting when things went too far. Other than that, I don't see the need for any kind of arbitrary limitations on posts or participation in the fora here. After all, these are conversations and lively exchanges are to be desired, not censured.

If you don't want to read specific posts or exchanges that you think add no value to the topic, just scroll past them. It takes a small fraction of a second to do so. But do leave them for the others who may find them interesting, enlightening or simply entertaining unless they violate the forum rules on decorum.

(BTW, being off-topic doesn't violate the forum rules as far as I understand.)

Best,

Doremus

BrianShaw
21-Jan-2018, 06:26
Self-control is often a better solution than more rules and harsher policing. Stop looking if it’s annoying.

Bruce Watson
21-Jan-2018, 06:59

You're looking at this the wrong way. The only person here who is responsible for your comfort in reading the forum posts... is you. It's not the fault of the posters, even the insanely frequent posters. It's your fault for reading their posts, and it's absolutely your fault for responding to them (don't feed the trolls!).

That's why the forum has this nifty tool called the Ignore List. You get to it from Settings...Edit Ignore List. I've got a number of people who's posts I just don't care to read on my Ignore List. Really, I'm just here to learn, and to help. Other people who appear to be here to assert their (real or imagined) authority or to argue with others, aren't helping my mission (it's *my* mission, not theirs). So I just ignore them. Do not feed the trolls, etc.

Without this feature most forums would be intolerable. For me anyway.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2018, 07:09
You may also block anyone.

I tried that but didn't like it, so now I always read my posts and all responses. :)

Ralph Barker
21-Jan-2018, 07:37

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. The Guidelines are intended to foster polite conversation within the scope of the forum (or not within our scope in The Lounge). The best way to deal with posts that you feel violate the Guidelines is to use the reporting mechanism. Moderators will then look at the post and deal with it accordingly. We don't always agree with the assessment of the members who report posts, and may opt to take no action, but that is the best method to deal with offensive posts. As other have mentioned, the Ignore List is another option for dealing with people whose posts consistently rub you the wrong way. Once you place a person on your Ignore List, you won't see any of their posts.

In general, however, we have no plans to throttle discussion. If a person repeatedly violates the Guidelines, however, the moderators may end up banning them after "counseling" them.

jnantz
21-Jan-2018, 09:44

hi esearing
having been here for a little while
and realize this place is like anyplace else
there are people that aggravate and annoy
and others that are like a electric koolaid acid trip...
and there are people wicked stressed out and sometimes
come off as abrasive and insulting on some days and pussycats others.
full moons, new moons mercury retrograde and bad juju all feed this..
its best ( i guess ) to roll with it ...
sometimes the ignore function is useful, unless you get bored
or realize the people you might be ignoring for whatever reasons
are the spice that makes the subject of large format photography
less than technicans talking technical jargon ( where is tribby (lungre-thurd) anyways ? )

BrianShaw
21-Jan-2018, 10:04
I wonder when Ralph Barker will chime in on this discussion.

Louis Pacilla
21-Jan-2018, 10:12
I wonder when Ralph Barker will chime in on this discussion.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. The Guidelines are intended to foster polite conversation within the scope of the forum (or not within our scope in The Lounge). The best way to deal with posts that you feel violate the Guidelines is to use the reporting mechanism. Moderators will then look at the post and deal with it accordingly. We don't always agree with the assessment of the members who report posts, and may opt to take no action, but that is the best method to deal with offensive posts. As other have mentioned, the Ignore List is another option for dealing with people whose posts consistently rub you the wrong way. Once you place a person on your Ignore List, you won't see any of their posts.

In general, however, we have no plans to throttle discussion. If a person repeatedly violates the Guidelines, however, the moderators may end up banning them after "counseling" them.

? :confused:

BrianShaw
21-Jan-2018, 10:32
It was intended as a joke... as if I had Ralph on “ignore”. I guess it was only funny to me. Sorry, Ralph.

Louis Pacilla
21-Jan-2018, 10:34
It was intended as a joke... as if I had Ralph on “ignore”. I guess it was only funny to me. Sorry, Ralph.

I get it now thanks Brian!:)

bob carnie
21-Jan-2018, 10:45
Good one Brian, I thought you were just a bit slow on the post button...

consummate_fritterer
21-Jan-2018, 13:16
Hello?? Is anybody in here??

BrianShaw
21-Jan-2018, 13:26
Yup.

But I’m leaving soon to do some plumbing repairs.

Not that you’ll either see this reply, or care what it says. Ha ha.