PDA

View Full Version : Omega D2 for 35mm and 4x5 what is needed

Misty
27-Jul-2005, 11:02
Hi:) I am new to Omega D2 enlarger and the equipment needed to do both 4x5 and 35mm. I have the 6 1/2 condesner head/ housing ? for 4x5--to do 35mm do I need the appropriate condenser head or will the 6 1/2 condenser head/ housing ? work for the 35mm film enlarging also.

I guess what I am asking is what equipment/ accessories do I need to do enlargements with both 4x5 film and 35mm film on the Omega D2 enlarger (and it is not a variable condesner) . Thanks:)

Jerry Flynn
27-Jul-2005, 11:16
The answer depends upon the model. Other may have more information, but if it is a model DII (Roman numerals) there is no way that I know of to change condensers. If it is a D2V, there is a drawer that should have supplimentary condenser lens in it. You remove this lens for 4X5 or place it at the appropriate level for other formats as indicated on the inside of the door. The position is not indicated by film format, but by the focal length of the lens you are using.

There are lots of variations on Omega D's. Try Classic Enlargers on line as a source of information and parts.

Vick Vickery
27-Jul-2005, 11:32
At a minimum you will need a 35mm & 4x5 negative carriers, enlarging lenses on appropriate boards of somewhere in the range of 50mm (35mm negs) and 150 or longer (4x5 negs). On my old D2 I used a flat lensboard for the 50mm lens and a "top-hat" or extended board with a 210mm lens for 4x5 with good results. The standard condenser worked well for the full range of sizes. Of course, you will need a light timer and an easel of some type, too. These are good old enlargers.

Brian Schall
27-Jul-2005, 12:01
I have a DII and it is simple to replace the condensers. Loosen 3 thumbs screws remove one condenser set and replace with another, tighten screws back.

You can probably get by with using the 6 1/2" condenser set for 35mm but there must be a reason Omega made different condensers for different formats. For 35mm, there is a 3 1/2" condenser set. Obviously it focuses the light properly for a 50mm lens. I converted my unit to a variable condenser head; a movable third condenser lens to change to different formats. I do have a 3 1/2" set that I don't need.

For 4x5 enlarging, you will need either a 135mm lens on the 2 1/2" cone or a 150mm lens on the 4" cone. The 50mm lens for 35mm film fits a flat board.

This site is one of the most informative I've found concerning Omega enlargers.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Good luck and enjoy. The D2 is a work horse. Mine was built around 1950 plus or minus and still works fine.

Misty
27-Jul-2005, 12:20
To help out...I think this model is a D2 not DII. It is not of the variable condenser type also--in other words, it is not a D2V thanks:)

Bill_1856
27-Jul-2005, 12:33
You'll need a different set of condensors for each focal length of enlarging lens. As mentioned above, they are easy to change, just loosen the three set screws, rotate the conden sor housing a few drereed and slide it out, reversing the process for the other set. You will get really bad vignetting without doing this. Better is you can find a set with the variable condensors which interchanges with the fixed ones. The 50mm lens with be on a flat board, while a 135-150 will require one with a snoot. Great enlarger!

ronald moravec
27-Jul-2005, 21:26
There are condensers for 35mm, one or two for 120 roll, and one for 4x6.

Change the aluminum can with them inside.

Neg carriers appropiate for each format.

Flat plate for 50mm lens. 135 uses a 3 in extension cone. A 150 the five or six in one, but it is the largest one. 100 mm lenses work with the 2 in cone. A 75 or 80 can go on the 2 in or a short extension tube.

Not having the proper cone will limit the min or max size print you can make depending how far off you are. For instance, an 80mm on the flat plate will make large prints, but small prints could not be made. Conversly the 135 on a long cone could make small prints, but not large.

Brian C. Miller
27-Jul-2005, 22:17
You can also get a cold light head, i.e., flourescent lamp unit. They occasionally come up on Ebay, along with Aristo lamp units. If you feel really artsy-craftsy, you can make one yourself with foam core, Lexan, tape, and a screw-in compact flourescent bulb. Many people prefer the cold light heads over condensers. Then you don't worry about changing the glass.