PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare to shoot a remote location before hand?

angusparker
18-Oct-2017, 09:05
So I’m in Spain for a while, and happened upon a great castle that was used in a Game of Thrones episode. It’s fairly remote (2.5 hour drive with a 5 mile dirt road access). From Madrid. On a recent visit with family in tow I took some pictures using my m43 camera which actually turned out OK even in the midday sun.

My question is what tools do you use to plan your shoots to get the best lighting, weather (clouds), location etc? I want to make the best use of my return trip with LF equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Drew Wiley
18-Oct-2017, 10:16
Dirt road? Double-wrap, first in plastic bags, then in bubble-wrap. Shoot well away from the road. Keep film in a cushioned picnic cooler.

tgtaylor
18-Oct-2017, 10:56
The weather bureau, topo maps, Google Earth, The Photographer's Ephemeris, images posted online.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
20-Oct-2017, 15:46
... and luck

John Kasaian
20-Oct-2017, 16:54
Comfortable shoes.
A hip flask or Bota bag & a sketch book, just in case you have to wait for the light or somethin'
Extra cable release (don't ask how I figured that one out)
Swiss Army Knife (the #2 Phillips just plain works better on camera stuff should anything need tightening)
A hat

Drew Wiley
20-Oct-2017, 18:44
Stetson cowboy hat? They stopped making XX once Super XX film was discontined.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Oct-2017, 20:03
I would ask for a donkey experienced for the area who cannot talk!
Oi! The last one would say, "No, this is a stale location. No, the light is not right..."
If I wanted all that I'd bring my wife who is probably stronger than the mule, donkey.
She is Irish after all.

(I don't think I can unlearn donkey talk. Like I said, my wife is Irish.)

Corran
20-Oct-2017, 21:18
Location scouting via satellite imagery: maps.google.com
Sun direction and angles: www.suncalc.com
Weather: www.weather.com and a live radar app on my phone
Images of the location by others to get "on the ground" views: Flickr, Instagram using search or hashtags

John Kasaian
20-Oct-2017, 22:41
Stetson cowboy hat? They stopped making XX once Super XX film was discontined.

If the OP has a beard the passing Spaniards might mistake him for Ansel Adams, Then he'll never get his shots,, LOL!

angusparker
21-Oct-2017, 00:44
Such excellent suggestions. Keep them coming! I’ll write them up in an organized blog post in a month. Spanish wives are perhaps not as hearty as Irish ones or donkeys. So I will have to improvise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Olsen
21-Oct-2017, 11:32
I was checking out a waterfall on Google maps yesterday and could actually see the falls facing toward the SE and the distance to a viewing point on the trail. I know what lens to take and what time to be there, for sure.

I the past I've even gotten historic photo books through interlibrary loan (how quaint) to scope out opportunities. One project included a trip to the National Archives in Mexico City to see a true one-of-a-kind book. The planning can be an essential and fruitful part of an expedition. Leave time to explore before going.

angusparker
24-Oct-2017, 12:59
I was checking out a waterfall on Google maps yesterday and could actually see the falls facing toward the SE and the distance to a viewing point on the trail. I know what lens to take and what time to be there, for sure.

I the past I've even gotten historic photo books through interlibrary loan (how quaint) to scope out opportunities. One project included a trip to the National Archives in Mexico City to see a true one-of-a-kind book. The planning can be an essential and fruitful part of an expedition. Leave time to explore before going.

Great advice. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro