PDA

View Full Version : Copal 0 vs Copal N 0.0

Aender Brepsom
20-Jul-2005, 13:24
Hello,

can somebody please explain the difference between a Copal 0 and a Copal N 0.0 shutter? Is it a matter of age (Copal N 0.0 being a newer version of the Copal 0)?

Thank you very much.

Regards

Änder Brepsom

Larry Gebhardt
20-Jul-2005, 13:32
I will assume you are reffering to a Copal 00 not 0.0 which I have never heard of.

The Copal 00 has a smaller hole and is hard to find lensboards for. It is also lacking a preview lever/switch so you need a locking cable release and to use the B position. Also, I here parts are hard to get, though SK Grimes was able to fix one of mine. One advantage is they are nice and small for use with a recessed lensboard - if you can find one with the right sized hole.

Russell Autry
20-Jul-2005, 13:42
I think the copal no.o is really copal no. (as in number) 0

Aender Brepsom
20-Jul-2005, 15:54
Thanks for your answers Lary and Russell, but I am still a bit confused.

Maybe I should be more specific:

I have two Copal shutters looking absolutely identical, but on one of them it says Copal 0 and on the other one it says Copal N 0.0 . Both lenses are fitted on Copal 0 lens boards.

I was just curious to know why they were labeled differently.

Russell Autry
20-Jul-2005, 16:15
I believe the (no.) is an abbreviation of number so it,s like "copal number 0". So tey are both actually the same thing.

Michael S. Briggs
20-Jul-2005, 18:06
It should be upper-case letter "N", lower-case letter "o", digit "0" -- No. 0. It can be quite confusing depending on how well the font distinguishes between letter "o" and digit "0".

So Copal 0 and Copal No. 0 are the same. It is not "0.0". "No." is an abbreviation from the Latin word "numero". If Copal used an upper-case letter "O", it would be as easy mistake for someone who was using a word two languages removed from their own -- a Japanenese speaker using an English abbreviation based on a Latin spelling.