PDA

View Full Version : Copal shutter

12pmc
17-Sep-2017, 05:37
Suggestions please;

I have recently purchased a Fujinon W 120mm 5.6 lens (lens description is written on the outside rim of the front element) The shutter is a Copal N°0 but an older one, the shutter speed adjustment ring is chrome with small rectangular knurling. The lens is in a Technika lens board. The back surface of the copal shutter has a small set screw proud of the surface which acts a locator into a small hole in the lens board.

I have to place the lens in a arca swiss lens board which does not have a small hole to receive a locator so the board and shutter do not sit correctly. Can anyone let me know if this small locator screw can be removed from the shutter without any issues, or must I drill a small hole into the lens board ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Peter

Luis-F-S
17-Sep-2017, 05:40
You can remove the alignment screw

xkaes
17-Sep-2017, 06:19
One reason to drill a hole for the pin -- instead of removing the pin -- is that it allows you to place the top of the shutter wherever you want, AND it will stay in place when you are adding or removing filters, removing or adding lens elements, etc.

12pmc
17-Sep-2017, 06:45
Thanks guys. The locator hole is a good idea. It's the first time I have ever seen these locator holes.

Peter

Neal Chaves
17-Sep-2017, 12:14
Drilling a hole in the correct location is somewhat tricky. Instead, you can use a small triangular file to cut a notch to allow for the screw. This will also prevent the shutter from turning.

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 12:26
Thanks guys. The locator hole is a good idea. It's the first time I have ever seen these locator holes.

Peter

No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens. Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.

xkaes
17-Sep-2017, 14:16
No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens. Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.

I can only think of one word for this -- BALONEY, or is that BOLOGNA?. First, I've never removed a lens, permanently, from its board, and if I did -- for some inextricable reason -- I could simply fill the locator hole with a small dab of black silicone sealant -- for some, other, inextricable reason.

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 14:24
I can only think of one word for this -- BALONEY. First, I've never removed a lens, permanently, from its board, and if I did -- for some inextricable reason -- I could simply fill the locator hole with black silicone sealant -- for some inextricable reason.

You have never replaced a lens by a new one, better one or just a different one. Therefore nobody else can? And filling a hole in a lens board is not really an attractive solution to the problem, is it?

xkaes
17-Sep-2017, 14:40
filling a hole in a lens board is not really an attractive solution to the problem, is it?

Since the hole is on the rear of the shutter, you will never see it. Plus it is not necessary to seal it -- plus it is so small, you can't see it with a magnifying glass! I hope you have something more important to worry about.

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 14:56
Since the hole is on the rear of the shutter, you will never see it. Plus it is not necessary to seal it -- plus it is so small, you can't see it with a magnnifying glass! I hope you have something more important to worry about.

Seems to me son, YOU worry about it too much. What about it the new shutter is smaller than the old one? Ever thought about different lens sizes? And small it is, but well visible by naked eye. I hope you have something valid to say and without being impolite in the process.

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 15:06

Peter

Many photographers use their lenses without pinning them to their lensboards. Try it yourself and you will see that the pin is not necessary if you fasten the retaining ring (best so with a lens spanner!) well. You will have an intact lens board and fully functioning lens too. Kill two birds with one stone and be happy.

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2017, 15:11
Many photographers use their lenses without pinning them to their lensboards. Try it yourself and you will see that the pin is not necessary if you fasten the retaining ring (best so with a lens spanner!) well. You will have an intact lens board and fully functioning lens too. Kill two birds with one stone and be happy.

Just as an aside, neither Linhof or Wista supply boards with the locating notch and since, at least 1986, Rodenstock lenses and Rodenstock supplied shutters do not have the locating screw. Linhof supplied lenses have not been supplied with the locating screw since, at least, 1980.

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 15:17
I know Bob, as I use Linhof/Wista lens boards with all my lenses that don't go to my Arca Swiss lensboards (without a lens pin them too). Cheers.

Leigh
17-Sep-2017, 16:16
No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens.
Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.
Nonsense.

The screw hole is bisected by the retaining ring clearance hole edge is properly drilled.
That area is completely covered by the retaining ring when the lens is installed.

There's no possibility of a light leak, so no reason to fill the hole if it's unused.

There's no way to "fasten" the retaining ring unless you glue it to the lensboard.
Doing so would not prevent the shutter from turning if it had no anti-rotation screw installed properly.

- Leigh

Pfsor
17-Sep-2017, 23:17
There's no way to "fasten" the retaining ring unless you glue it to the lensboard.
Doing so would not prevent the shutter from turning if it had no anti-rotation screw installed properly.

- Leigh

All photographers using lenses without locating pins must now be fully converted by your wisdom. You tried so hard.