PDA

View Full Version : Show and panel discussion -- East SF Bay, CA (PhotoCentral Hayward)

Vaughn
15-Sep-2017, 19:07
Hello! I am in a group show with some great folks -- opens Sept 30th.

Quite exciting -- also involved with putting up the show, which is quite an education. Fantastic work -- check out the link. Title is "Made by Hand". Thanks!

http://www.photocentral.org/shows.html

sanking
27-Sep-2017, 21:05
Hello! I am in a group show with some great folks -- opens Sept 30th.

Quite exciting -- also involved with putting up the show, which is quite an education. Fantastic work -- check out the link. Title is "Made by Hand". Thanks!

http://www.photocentral.org/shows.html

I look forward to seeing those in attendance for Vaughn's workshop and others who show up for the panel discussion and exhibition at PhotoCentral in Hayward, CA this weekend. I will be at PhotoCentral Friday evening for the beginning of Vaughn's workshop, most of the day on Saturday, and part of the day on Sunday. Plan to leave on Sunday before the end of the day for a short trip to Yosemite, before I return home on Tuesday.

In addition to the prints I contributed to the exhibition I will also have some larger monochrome carbon prints that will be available for viewing. This will include both prints on sized art papers as well as prints on fixed out silver papers of various types so it will be a good opportunity for those interested to see carbon prints of various subject matter on different final substrates.

If you are in the area and have carbon prints so share hope you will find time to make it to Hayward during the event.

Sandy

Leszek Vogt
28-Sep-2017, 00:39
V. cool, Vaughn. Congrats.

Les

Thom Bennett
28-Sep-2017, 07:07
Congrats! Looks like a very interesting exhibition.

Hugo Zhang
28-Sep-2017, 07:23
Congratulations!

Vaughn
3-Oct-2017, 14:53
What a great workshop experience. I love it when I learn as much as my participants in a workshop!

We had 8 students and what ended up to be 4 instructors. Sandy was a wealth of knowledge and experience -- which he shared freely during most of the workshop...plus laying out a score or more carbon prints made in different ways to show the participants. Jim Fitzerald and John Thacker lent their expertise as well.

We had both digital negatives and film -- and some wonderful prints were made. There were enough mistakes made to be instructive for everyone. The workshop space was top notch and was surrounded by the show that was up -- Made by Hand, with prints by Linda Conner, me , Jerry Uelsmann, Brian Taylor, Sandy King, Kerik Kouklis and others -- was inspiring.

A very productive weekend!

Thanks again, Sandy, for adding so much to the workshop!

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Oct-2017, 15:45
Vaughn, thanks for letting me stand off to the side and lend a hand. It was wonderful for me to finally meet Sandy and see his work. He brought many nice large carbon prints to share and was a great help to the students. They did get the bonus of your expertise as well as John's and Sandy's and mine. This was by far the best workshop I've ever been to. The space was awesome and the enthusiasm was awesome. Everyone went home with some amazing prints and they all said how much they learned in a very welcoming environment. Congratulations on a job well done and being in a wonderful show.

tomjohnson
3-Oct-2017, 19:38
Great to see the show and Vaughn is as wonderful can be. Jim also makes some killer images.

tomjohnson
3-Oct-2017, 19:40
..and I should mention Sandy is wonderful also.

sanking
4-Oct-2017, 08:56
As Jim mentions this was a great workshop. John Thacker did a great job in planning the activity, as did Vaughn in hanging the work of the exhibition and in teaching the carbon workshop, and Jim in being there and sharing his knowledge of carbon with the group. And a great group of enthusiastic and hard working students! Also, a well attended panel directed by Geir Jordal on various aspects of the meaning and relevance of hand made photography.

Geir and Kate Jordal, the founders/directors of PhotoCentral, organized a great event that clearly demonstrates the importance and relevance of hand made photographs produced with vintage historical processes, contact printed with both large format film negatives and digital negatives.

After the workshop I spent a couple of days in Yosemite. I forgot my guide to the location of Ansel Adams' tripod holes and probably missed out on many good shots, but just being there gave me a much better understanding of the beauty of the place and of the obstacles that would have been faced by early landscape workers like Carleton Watkins in working with the Mammoth format (18"X22") in this beautiful but rugged terrain.
http://www.donnersummithistoricalsociety.org/pages/bookreviews/CarletonWatkinsMammothPhotos.html

Sandy

nbagno
4-Oct-2017, 09:02
I stopped by and sat in the over flow section but couldn’t stay for the whole panel. I wanted to say hi to Sandy... Sandy I bought the leaf scan sapphire glass from you a few years ago. Sold it and moved up to a drum scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanking
4-Oct-2017, 10:01
I stopped by and sat in the over flow section but couldn’t stay for the whole panel. I wanted to say hi to Sandy... Sandy I bought the leaf scan sapphire glass from you a few years ago. Sold it and moved up to a drum scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sorry that I did not get to meet you in person. The period of time just before and after the panel discussion was rather hectic.

I do remember that you purchased the Leafscan sapphire glass from me a few years ago and still follow the scan forum so am aware that you have moved to drum scanners. I had moved to a drum scanner shortly before that time, a Howtek D4000, and later acquired a Howtek 7500. But the Leafscan 45 was a great scanner for small and medium format film with the sapphire glass as one could get real resolution of very close to 5000 dpi with two-pass stitching. I get better smoothness with the drum scanners, but actual resolution is not as great.

Sandy

Jim Graves
5-Oct-2017, 19:40
I hope PhotoCentral makes this a yearly affair. The show and pop-up show were fabulous. The panel discussion was excellent and even had an overflow audience.

The workshop was booked full instantly and was outstanding ... I have done 3 of Vaughn's workshops (and 1 of Jim's) and the preparation and pre-made tissues are always excellent ... and the participant/instructor connection is low key and very effective. The whole carbon process ... including having the students make and print on their own tissues is covered. Having Vaughn and John for the prep and full workshop made it doubly good. Having Sandy and Jim there as well was like Christmas for a carbon printer.

I attended the workshop as 4th bottle washer and was amazed at the amount of very nice final images produced by the students. With all the extra hands and insights the students could spend all their time producing. Hopefully some of the images will get posted in this thread.

And what a treat to have 4 carbon gurus there to bounce questions off and to listen to as they answered participant's questions. This will be a hard one to repeat but I sure hope they can do it again next year.

Luis-F-S
6-Oct-2017, 05:53
It was a great experience and workshop. Thanks to all who helped and gave of their time!!!!!

Vaughn
15-Oct-2017, 00:54
What a motley crew we made! Thanks for posting the image!

I spent today preparing for and then giving a carbon printing demonstration to some members of a SF Bay Area LF group and some delightfully assorted other folks...including my nephew and his son, coming up from San Jose. So, a great group, perhaps a dozen including me. And they actually got to see a print made -- despite a mal-functioning timer on the UV unit (5000W). The exposures should have been about 15 minutes. After about 30 minutes, I manually stopped the exposure. After fiddling with the timer, next exposure was accidently 90 to 120 minutes long...I had forgot to look to see if it had turned itself off. Too much over-exposure (plus other possible problems), but it served its purpose for demonstrating the transfer part of the process -- and the first exposure was developed and came out as expected...a little bit richer, actually, but I am afraid dry-down will dull it a little. A 11x14 image of redwoods.

I ended up developing the second print later -- stripped the emulsion from the print and stuck it on some glass. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

QT Luong
23-Nov-2017, 14:59
LAST DAY: "Made By Hand" is SPECIAL CLOSING HOURS AND BOOK RELEASE: Sunday, November 26 from 12-4 pm

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102093017145&ca=af12190b-e759-47e4-bcec-660b19e8bdc2

bob carnie
23-Nov-2017, 15:10
One of my clients is hanging a show at Photo Central in March, large prints , Carissa is going out there to meet with people and see possibilities.

Vaughn
23-Nov-2017, 15:11
Thanks!!! I'll be there (and making some last-minute carbon prints to end my Artist-in-Residence!)

tomjohnson
23-Nov-2017, 16:35
One of my clients is hanging a show at Photo Central in March, large prints , Carissa is going out there to meet with people and see possibilities.

I'm glad the introduction worked! Kate and Geir are fine folks.