PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Erik Larsen
11-Sep-2017, 10:11
Hi folks,
Our annual fly fishing trip to Wyoming looks to be a washout this year due to weather next week so we are looking for alternatives to spend a week. My travel companions haven't been to Yosemite but we don't like the crowds so thought maybe a day trip in to the valley just to look and then get out of the madness and back to a base camp that is less zoo like. We will be car camping not backpacking.

Are there any campgrounds on the eastern sierras that are in a nice location scenery wise that you could recommend. Fly fishing nearby would be a plus but not mandatory. In the mountains would be ideal. National forest or BLM campgrounds preferred as one of our companions needs her "real" bathroom and doesn't like to squat in the woods.

I would appreciate any advice!

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Sep-2017, 12:50
Erik, I'd recommend the Aspen campground off of highway 120 east of the valley. It is on power plant road. I think they close in mid to late October. Also, Lundy Lake has a campground. Give me time and I'll come up with more.

John Kasaian
11-Sep-2017, 12:55
Walker River--nice camp grounds outside of Markleeville

Saddlebag Resort, AFAIK, isn't opening on account of snow damage, but Saddlebag Lake and Roosevelt offer hungry trout.
I don't know if the camp grounds are open or not as the Resort is the concessionaire.

Then there's Virginia Lakes. I like to pitch my tent at Trumbull Lake, just across the dirt road from Virginia.

Then there's Twin lakes outside of Bridgeport. The Sawtooths are quite photogenic if you can find a way to get up as there isn't much of a view from the lake IIRC.

Check with the locals as smoke can be an issue (as well as the trout going on Weight Watchers :rolleyes: )

Eric Leppanen
11-Sep-2017, 14:50
Agnew Meadows campground is a good base location for hiking in the Devil's Postpile/Minarets wilderness area, although you should call ahead first as some web sites say it is currently closed due to storm damage. There are a variety of interesting day hikes in the area, my favorite is the hike to Shadow Lake or (if you are in really good condition) to Thousand Island Lake. Since we're past Labor Day now it hopefully won't be too crowded.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=20508

Leszek Vogt
11-Sep-2017, 17:38
Now, this one is closer to Bishop, but I got to like the place. It's a Horton Creek (BLM) campground and the price is right too = $5/night and if you have a gizer pass, the damage would be $2.50. Some places you can't even get coffee for that. What I liked was it was quite a distance from the Rte 395 and loved the open sky at night.

Les

Bill Burk
11-Sep-2017, 18:30
The cabins at Virginia Lakes are a lot of fun.

Erik Larsen
11-Sep-2017, 18:51
Thanks for the advice guys!
Jim, I've stayed at the aspen campground years ago. I think we're looking for a little more "in the mountains" if we can?

John, Virginia lakes looks beautiful. Do you think we'll have a hard time getting a campsite arriving early evening or are we past the tourist season. I like that the walker river is near if we want some river fishing!

Eric, thanks for the link. It appears to be closed if I'm reading correctly?

Les, we'll keep Horton creek in mind if we get too cold or move further south.

I appreciate the opinions guys!

Nodda Duma
11-Sep-2017, 19:07
If you go a little firther south, there's camping all up and down the Kern River north of Kernville, and the fishing is good, too.

McNally's has cabins and good steak.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Sep-2017, 19:23
Erik,check out the Lundy Lake campground. Its in the mountains.

Merg Ross
11-Sep-2017, 20:47
Agree with Jim, good choice. Close to the Valley via 120, and close to Mono Lake. A beautiful stretch of highway (395) and scenery on the eastside.

I've caught a lot of photographs along 395, never a fish. Hope you have a great trip!

John Kasaian
12-Sep-2017, 07:27
Erik, this time of year finding a space at Trumbull Lake shouldn't be a problem. there's even a website ---
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/Trumbull_Lake/r/campsiteCalendar.do?page=calendar&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70349

Preston
12-Sep-2017, 11:53
Trumbull is quite nice, I have camped there a couple of times. I'll also vote for Lundy.

If you are in the Virginia Lakes/Lundy area it is a short hop to Bridgeport. There is a reservoir there that is fed by the East Walker River. The fishing there is said to be excellent. Take Hwy 182 (Sweetwater Road) north out of Bridgeport. Of course, Bodie is in the same general area.
--P

civich
12-Sep-2017, 12:09
A fly fisherman? Walk to Golden Trout Creek and Volcanic Creek in the Golden Trout Wilderness Area. South of Lone Pine as I recall and a not too difficult hump over the front of the range to the Golden Trout Creek watershed - probably daytrip-able. Hold one of these jewel-like fish in the palm of your hand and admire it's beauty. Sure you can catch much larger versions stocked in high altitude lakes around the world but this is the source.

Erik Larsen
12-Sep-2017, 17:54
Thanks folks! I think we'll take the advice of Lundy or Virginia Lakes if we can get a spot. Seems like they check the right boxes for this trip. Perhaps try the golden trout wilderness, that sounds fun but I'm with others and my wishes aren't always granted! For sure gonna try the walker river. The 8x10 is coming along so I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me amused.
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions

chirsthelen
20-Sep-2017, 01:52
i would like to suggest Kerala.One of the best pace for outdoor shooting.

John Kasaian
20-Sep-2017, 07:05
If the trout aren't biting, you can go look for Edward Weston's tripod holes at Lake Ediza, but IIRC they closed the road to Ediza awhile back.

Erik Larsen
24-Sep-2017, 13:51
Had a good time at Virginia lakes except for the snow one night. Thanks for the suggestions!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/3f3dc381dcdf4c1e7d5204315e229657.jpg

My fishing buddy is still looking for the elusive golden trout!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/b9105d8d668ac8120bbb655f604282ab.jpg

Forrest Atkins
25-Sep-2017, 08:36
Good camping suggestions.
Time permitting try a caddis or hopper in Hot creek for brown trout.
http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=7375

Erik Larsen
25-Sep-2017, 09:56
Good camping suggestions.
Time permitting try a caddis or hopper in Hot creek for brown trout.
http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=7375

Back home now. We fished the east walker and the west walker river. The west walker was a beautiful river to fish but I swear there are no fish in there. We didn't even scare any fish didn't see any sign. The west walker was better for us. We also fished the lakes above Virginia lakes as well as Virginia creek. It was a good time but our fishing wasn't that productive unfortunately.

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2017, 14:56
Sorry about the fish, but that's symptomatic of being close to roads and campgrounds. There are lots of trout around, but you need some distance between you and the crowds. Now it's the start of deer season. There are plenty of deer too, but they're smart enough to keep well away from the roads. I think more hunters get shot in the Sierra than actual deer. Golden trout are beautiful and fight a line, but frankly don't taste that great. The Walker river drainage has native cutthroat trout. I rarely fish anymore because the best times of day - sunrise and sunset - conflict with favorite photo light. The legendary spot below Virginia Lks for huge rainbow trout is Hot Creek, but it's strictly catch n' release. Sorry I couldn't tell you that in advance, but I was deep in backcountry the last two weeks.

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2017, 15:21
The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom!

Erik Larsen
25-Sep-2017, 15:52
Sorry about the fish, but that's symptomatic of being close to roads and campgrounds. There are lots of trout around, but you need some distance between you and the crowds. Now it's the start of deer season. There are plenty of deer too, but they're smart enough to keep well away from the roads. I think more hunters get shot in the Sierra than actual deer. Golden trout are beautiful and fight a line, but frankly don't taste that great. The Walker river drainage has native cutthroat trout. I rarely fish anymore because the best times of day - sunrise and sunset - conflict with favorite photo light. The legendary spot below Virginia Lks for huge rainbow trout is Hot Creek, but it's strictly catch n' release. Sorry I couldn't tell you that in advance, but I was deep in backcountry the last two weeks.

It's all good Drew. We just didn't know our way around the good fishing spots yet. I've never caught a golden and was hoping too. We just catch and release anyway. Need a local with us next time for sure.

I was feeling sorry for the folks we saw heading off into the backcountry that had to deal with that snow. We were at 10,000 feet and had more than I would like to hike in. I can't imagine what it was like higher up!

Erik Larsen
25-Sep-2017, 15:53
The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom!

You ain't kidding, went to bed under cloudy skies and woke up with my three season tent collapsed on me with snow!

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2017, 19:10
Six out of the last seven years I've had snow on my "summer" vacations. I grew up in the Sierra, so am fully accustomed to it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any place with native golden trout near a road. They like to be pretty high up, just like me!