PDA

View Full Version : ARCA-SWISS Discovery-camera bag?

T. Farmer
16-Jul-2005, 09:35
Good Morning! Considering upgrading from an older speed graphic to an Arca Swiss Discovery for use in the field. I see it comes with a shoulder case but I would like to use a backpack. Preferable something like a Lowe Pro. The specifications look a little tight so I was wondering what type of backpack Discovery owners were using? Is the camera on its side or back? Do you use a long or short rail?

Pictures would help too. Thank you.

Tim

Lei Meng
16-Jul-2005, 11:07
http://paowang.com/blog/bozeman/upload/20050716ArcaDiscoveryinBag.jpg

I use Lowepro Pro Trekker backpack for Arca Discovery system. It works well. The camera is fully assembled and ready to use. A Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 lens is mounted on the camera. Two other lenses and two Fuji QuickLoads are also placed in the bag. There are still plenty of space to put in focusing cloth, film, and my jacket with lightmeter and focusing loupe in its pockets. :o)

T. Farmer
16-Jul-2005, 13:48
Lei,

Thanks!!! That was exactly what I was hoping to see. I really like the idea of being able to take out the camera and being ready to shoot really quickly. You have really made my day seeing that pic!

It looks like you have a Photo Trekker AW. Do you have any problems closing the bag or using the clear pockets?

Lei Meng
17-Jul-2005, 09:08
Tim: I dont have any problems closing the bag and I usually dont use the clear pockets.

Ben Diss
17-Jul-2005, 09:22
Here's how I carry mine. I have four lenses, a Quickload holder and a Lee filter system. I break it down to fit in a smaller case. This is a Lightware MF1420 case. It can fit into their BP1420 for field work. This is much more expensive than a regular backpack but it's a smaller package.

http://www.benodee.com/images/Lightware.jpg

Lei Meng
17-Jul-2005, 10:13
Ben: You made a really nice pack. I like those small lens boards. My 171x171 boards are too big but I don't want to spend $300 for an adapter. :o)

Ben Diss
19-Jul-2005, 04:29
Correction. I actually have a smaller bag than I thought. Its a MF1217. I just went out and bought a backpack for it last night. I picked up a Kelty Redwing 3100 and it fits perfectly inside it. I had to measure and discovered it was actually the smaller bag. The Kelty only costs $100 and is a true backpack. I think it will work out well in the field.

-Ben