PDA

View Full Version : Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

everettfitz
5-Sep-2017, 15:26
Hello,

I recently purchased an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4 enlarging lens for my boss off ebay and am seeking information on how this specific lens functions.

The lens was described as new and in box, so we figured it would come with all necessary accessories. Is there supposed to be a built in aperture to control f/stops?
I know there are plates that could be inserted into the center of the lens to control the f/stop; but can't find a way to purchase them.

I may be false, looking for any information on this lens. We are unsure if this is the correct lens.
I attached photos below

Thank you so much in advance,

Everett

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2017, 15:39
You did not buy the standard production 150 Apo Rodagon-N. instead you have an OEM lens made for a specific purpose other then for use in an enlarger.
This lens may have been designed for use in some type of scanning or duplicating system. It could be a relay optic but whatever it is it is not the photographic Apo Rodagon-N.

xkaes
5-Sep-2017, 17:34
I don't know what you bought, but I hope you didn't get screwed. The lens you want looks like this:

Luis-F-S
5-Sep-2017, 18:00
Looks like you bought a process type lens, not an enlarging lens. A process lens with an aperture, may still work within a limited enlarging range, but is likely optimized for a different range than a normal enlarging lens. Without an aperture, it's kind of useless. It looks like my process 240 Apo-Rodagon shown below which is optimized for 1:1 and usable in a range from 1:3 to 3:1, whereas enlarging lenses are normally optimized for a 4x to 10x enlargement. My 240 Apo has an aperture range from f5.6 to f128. If your lens does not have a built in aperture, I'd send it back if it was not disclosed. A slot in a process lens is for using filters for color separations, NOT for waterhouse stops for enlarging. I don't see a slot in your lens, and like Bob said, it was probably made for use in a specific machine.

Below is a shot of both a 240 Rodagon enlarging lens on left, and a process 240 Apo Rodagon on right, both mounted on DeVere boards for comparison. On the 240 Apo, I've put a piece of tape to keep the filter slot closed.

AtlantaTerry
5-Sep-2017, 22:35
Did the eBay seller specifically SAY that it was an enlarging lens? If so, you might be within your rights to return it for a refund.

EdSawyer
6-Sep-2017, 06:07
I saw that one on ebay, for that price, you can find the real enlarging version with some effort. contrary to the pic posted by xkaes, the 150 apo N looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/EuYAAOSwVJhZWl0E/s-l800.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i3/6000000004404/TB2Va_TzxxmpuFjSZFNXXXrRXXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i1/6000000006398/TB2mmpsvwxlpuFjy0FoXXa.lXXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i2/6000000000500/TB2QRzqzElnpuFjSZFjXXXTaVXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg

good luck with search, it's a great lens.

-Ed

jose angel
6-Sep-2017, 08:54
Not so long ago I searched for a similar lens on the web. I ended buying an expensive, perfect, "new looking" one; I knew I was scammed when I just received the lens. Thanks God I was insured. I finally didn`t found the lens I was looking for.

Funny, I found quite a few sellers trying to sell Apo Rodagons in a not so ethical manner. There were misleading images and descriptions like this one, which I think is as Bob mention an OEM lens, I think sold with another lens` box.

I even found some "frankenstein" lenses, where elements, cells or shutters were swapped between different vesions. Beware of it.

Ed images are funny, too. The linked lens looks like a real "Apo Rodagon N" (not sure to be a plain Apo Rodagon), the serial number could match, but it looks like the owner deliberately wanted to hide a possible "N" on the images... either in the lens or in the box... (?)
Everett lens looks to be any kind of "N" version, but the box is saying "I belong to a non "N" Apo Rodagon unit"... Who knows...

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2017, 09:13
Not so long ago I searched for a similar lens on the web. I ended buying an expensive, perfect, "new looking" one; I knew I was scammed when I just received the lens. Thanks God I was insured. I finally didn`t found the lens I was looking for.Funny,

I found quite a few sellers trying to sell Apo Rodagons in a not so ethical manner. There were misleading images and descriptions like this one, which I think is as Bob mention an OEM lens, I think sold with another lens` box.

I even found some "frankenstein" lenses, where elements, cells or shutters where swapped between different vesions. Beware of it.

Ed images are funny, too. The linked lens looks like an "Apo Rodagon N" (not sure to be a plain Apo Rodagon), the serial number could match, but it looks like the owner deliberately wanted to hide the "N" on the images... either in the lens or in the box...
Everett lens looks to be any kind of "N" version, but the box is saying "I belong to a non "N" Apo Rodagon version"...
There never was a 150 Apo Rodagon. The 150 Apo Rodagon N replaced the earlier 180 Apo Rodagon. So the label on that box was somehow doctored. In all the years that we were the Rodenstock USA distributor, 1986 till early 2015, we had never seen a box labeled 150 Apo Rodagon. And, we were the distributor before the N versions were introduced and until most were discontinued, including the entire production life of the 150 Apo Rodagon N.

There was a 150 Rodagon so that may have been the source of that box with the Apo added by someone.

consummate_fritterer
6-Sep-2017, 15:21
The first image of the lens clearly shows the text on the barrel, "Apo-Rodagon-N 1:4 f=150mm".

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2017, 15:27
The first image of the lens clearly shows the text on the barrel, "Apo-Rodagon-N 1:4 f=150mm".
But not on the box!

Luis-F-S
6-Sep-2017, 16:03
The plain 150 Rodagon is a fine lens. Never thought a need for the Apo, though my favorite in that range is the older 180 Apo, which Bob will tell you is not as good as the 150 Apo-N, but is certainly more than good enough for my work! I typically prefer the 135 over the 150 Rodagon for 4x5 work though I have both. L

Luis-F-S
6-Sep-2017, 20:06
If the seller represented the lens as: .........a discontinued super rate APO corrected enlarging lens for the 4X5 image circle film. I'd sure be returning it and asking for my money back because it is NOT an Enlarging Lens! You should also be able to put in a complaint with Ebay to cover your return shipping!

Drew Wiley
7-Sep-2017, 11:03
Reminds me of how some there was someone trying to sell funky old lenses as Gold Dot Dagors by painting the dot on it themselves. Lots of scams. One of my favorites was someone baiting conspicuously under-educated fossil collectors by listing a piece of Devonian rugosa coral as a priceless specimen of "Jurassic rhinoceros horn".

Luis-F-S
13-Sep-2017, 14:37
Hello,

I recently purchased an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4 enlarging lens for my boss off ebay and am seeking information on how this specific lens functions.

The lens was described as new and in box, so we figured it would come with all necessary accessories. Is there supposed to be a built in aperture to control f/stops?
I know there are plates that could be inserted into the center of the lens to control the f/stop; but can't find a way to purchase them.

I may be false, looking for any information on this lens. We are unsure if this is the correct lens.
I attached photos below

Thank you so much in advance,

Everett
So how did this end up?

Repko
25-Sep-2017, 08:46
Just like everettfitz, I also just recently purchased this lens. It came with the original box labeled "APO-RODAGON" and has Cat.No. 0703.050.000.20

Last week I made a phonecall to Rodenstock Photo (Qioptiq) in Germany and they did some research for me. I have asked them about the optical design of this lens compared to the enlarger versions and about the application of this lens. This is their answer:

Dear Mr. Van H.... ,

yes , your lens is the same Optical Design .
We have developed this version earlier for printers .

Best regards

D..... W.....
Manager Service Fotooptiken
Industrial Optics
Discover the Q
Qioptiq

Also, they told me by phone the lens is not designed for the 1:1 repoduction scale. For this range they have the Apo-Rodagon-D lenses only.
I am going to use it on my enlarger, and maybe I even mount it on my 4x5" viewcam for close-up portraits.
Nothing about this lens or box is doctored, it is 100% genuine.

Did you know SKGRIMES made a nice waterhouse stop modification for this lens? :D Rough price for the modification is $300 - $400 +s/h. This includes a set of waterhouse stops.
http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/2005-2/150mm-apo-rodagon-waterhouse-stop-modification

Luis-F-S
25-Sep-2017, 08:58
If it could be mounted on a 150 enlarging lens barrel the aperture would be correct and new adapter rings could be machined so you'd have an enlarging lens with an aperture and you would not have to use waterhouse stops. Seems it would be a lot cheaper to buy the correct lens in the first place unless this lens was very very cheap!

EdSawyer
26-Sep-2017, 05:42
Agreed with Luis.

consummate_fritterer
26-Sep-2017, 08:14
If there's already a slot in the barrel then I'd just make my own Waterhouse stops... only need a couple for enlarging.

Repko
26-Sep-2017, 22:28
If there's already a slot in the barrel then I'd just make my own Waterhouse stops.

There is no slot in the barrel (at least not in mine). A part of SKGRIMES's modification will probably be to make a slot in the barrel. At this moment you can probably only unscrew the front lens element from the rear lens element and add/remove/replace the aperture disk (if there is one in place). I would not choose for the waterhouse stops modification myself, but I'm just showing the option.

.. only need a couple for enlarging.

You can buy a rather expensive Durst Extended Lapla 72mm if you have a Durst enlarger. Or you can ask someone to machine an adapter.

Seems it would be a lot cheaper to buy the correct lens in the first place unless this lens was very very cheap!

Agreed as well, so this information is only useful for people who already have this lens and decide to use it. I am happy with a fixed focus version, but if anyone has a spare example of the enlarger version, please contact me.

Bob Salomon
27-Sep-2017, 02:13
There is no slot in the barrel (at least not in mine). A part of SKGRIMES's modification will probably be to make a slot in the barrel. At this moment you can probably only unscrew the front lens element from the rear lens element and add/remove/replace the aperture disk (if there is one in place). I would not choose for the waterhouse stops modification myself, but I'm just showing the option.

You can buy a rather expensive Durst Extended Lapla 72mm if you have a Durst enlarger. Or you can ask someone to machine an adapter.

Agreed as well, so this information is only useful for people who already have this lens and decide to use it. I am happy with a fixed focus version, but if anyone has a spare example of the enlarger version, please contact me.
You donít have a fixed focus version. You have a fixed aperture version, that is quite a different thing. Additionally, since your lens hits optimal aperture about 2 stops down, what aperture is your lens fixed at?

Repko
28-Sep-2017, 00:16
You are right, what I mean is fixed aperture. My apologies, but English is not my native language. I have a "fixed" aperture. I rated it F11. My lens looks exactly the same as the lens on the photos earlier in this topic. The front lensgroup can be unscrewed from the rear lensgroup and this is the location where my flimsy thin aperture disk is located. This is also where SKGRIMES makes the slot for the waterhouse stop adjustment. There is a small elevated rim to position the aperture disk and a metal ring to fill up a gap. I will take a picture later on and do some measurements on the aperture disk.

EdSawyer
28-Sep-2017, 05:31
You really shouldn't stop this lens down below f/5.6 if you want the best results. At f/11 you may as well be using any 150mm lens.

Luis-F-S
28-Sep-2017, 05:35
You really shouldn't stop this lens down below f/5.6 if you want the best results. At f/11 you may as well be using any 150mm lens.

+1! Maybe f/8. Hard to Focus at f/ 11. And just think they probably paid five times the price of a Rodagon.

Bob Salomon
28-Sep-2017, 05:56

Optimal aperture is 1 to 2 stops down! Not wide open!