PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 Lens Position Question

IanBarber
28-Aug-2017, 12:12
Can anyone explain why on the Chamonix 045N-2 we have to put different focal length lens say (150mm and 90mm) in the different holes.

Is there a reason why we cannot use one standard hole and move the rear standard back and forth ?

martinf5
28-Aug-2017, 12:33
Well, do we?

I think you can take the hole you want, there's no difference between front standard focusing and back standard focusing.

You have to feel comfortable with focusing in the way you decide to do.

Probably it's much easier to take the hole which gives you the most way of focusing with the front standard moving.

djdister
28-Aug-2017, 12:38
Are you asking why we would ever need to change the focal length of the lens?

IanBarber
28-Aug-2017, 12:47
Well, do we?

I think you can take the hole you want, there's no difference between front standard focusing and back standard focusing.

You have to feel comfortable with focusing in the way you decide to do.

Probably it's much easier to take the hole which gives you the most way of focusing with the front standard moving.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, just need to make sure i was on the right track

Peter Collins
28-Aug-2017, 13:37
I have a Chamonix 45N-2 and the only consideration I have for placing the front standard is focusing on an object, e.g., whose distance is the focal length of the lens. In that case I want to have the REAR standard as far forward as I can so that I can crank back the standard to focus. Then the hole that I use depends on the focal length of the lens. I also have the 140mm "bed extension" which gives me lots of flexibility. I purchased the extension because I have a 300mm lens.

Two23
28-Aug-2017, 17:20
By having different holes, the camera can be smaller and still take a wide range of lenses. The Chamonix 045n is the most versatile camera I've owned.

Kent in SD

esearing
31-Aug-2017, 04:13
If you carry several focal lengths you will find that you have to not only pick the correct hole but also have to move the rear standard forward/backward. I carry 65, 90, 135, 180, and 250mm lenses. I pretty much use all the holes from back to front in that order. I first focus with rear standard, then refine with the front focus knob. When you focus on a close object back extension may not provide enough focus, so you have to move forward a hole or two for the front standard.

IanBarber
31-Aug-2017, 04:24
If you carry several focal lengths you will find that you have to not only pick the correct hole but also have to move the rear standard forward/backward. I carry 65, 90, 135, 180, and 250mm lenses. I pretty much use all the holes from back to front in that order. I first focus with rear standard, then refine with the front focus knob. When you focus on a close object back extension may not provide enough focus, so you have to move forward a hole or two for the front standard.

The Chamonix is the only LF camera I have owned or used for that matter.

Compared to the traditional fine focusing on the outside of the camera at the front, do you find the Chamonix easier or harder to use with the focus knob at the rear.

I personally can and do get tied up sometimes especially as I cannot find a reasonable place to to anchor the dark cloth

ndwgolf
30-Oct-2017, 14:15
On my Chamonix 8x10 I only have one lens which has a focal length of 360mm if I place the front standard on the very front hole (which is ~360mm from the rear standard) I sometimes find it hard to nail focus at infinity. What I tend to do is set the camera up having the front standard back one hole and that gives me room to move the front standard back and forwards to focus..............I have three lenses for the Chamonix 45n2 90 210 and 360.............Ive yet to figure out where to place each of the lenses as I haven't received the camera yet............its on a delivery van :) :) But I will probably do the same as what I do on the 8x10

Neil

Greg
30-Oct-2017, 15:01
I have an 8x10 and simply labeled into which hole each of my lenses should be mounted in with the rear standard in its "home" position. No second guessing and very convenient.

Alan Gales
30-Oct-2017, 15:32
I have an 8x10 and simply labeled into which hole each of my lenses should be mounted in with the rear standard in its "home" position. No second guessing and very convenient.

That's a very intelligent solution.

Chamonix cameras are a little slower than some to set up but this makes it faster. Of course speed isn't something I often think of when shooting my 8x10 (Wehman). :)