PDA

View Full Version : PARTIAL SALTZMAN ENLARGER, where can total ignoramus sell?

SALTZMAN
6-Aug-2017, 21:11
I inherited a number of items from an uncle. While cleaning out one of his spaces, I came across part (the horizontal part, from what I could tell) of a Saltzman enlarger. It consists of the horizontal frame (a triangular, hinged holder), bellows (dusty but intact), and some other parts that I can't name. Also two separate pieces: a matte black metal rectangular tray with a circular top edge that seems to be made to fit around some sort of corresponding circular piece (it's maybe a foot or so in diameter); and then also the tray shown in the Saltzman catalog picture below (nevermind, I tried to upload it but ran out of picture options). I do not have the vertical slide/frame that the contraption travels up and down upon.

I don't really know how I should go about selling it. I saw from a search on this forum that sometimes it's better to sell the parts, but am unsure which (or if any) of these parts has any value to anyone. I suppose I could try eBay but this thing is heavy (maybe 50-70 pounds) and unwieldy, so that would be a last resort.

It's in Manhattan, so it's maybe easier to find someone locally, but I'm open to ideas about where to look for a buyer. I'd like it to find a home with someone who'll put it to good use.

Thank you very much for any insight or guidance.

SALTZMAN
6-Aug-2017, 21:13
Here are some more pictures.

Peter De Smidt
6-Aug-2017, 21:30
That looks like the parts from a vertical enlarger.

SALTZMAN
6-Aug-2017, 21:34
That looks like the parts from a vertical enlarger.

Yes. I think it's the horizontal portion of a vertical enlarger.

Again, thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

SM

Duolab123
15-Aug-2017, 10:20
Yes. I think it's the horizontal portion of a vertical enlarger.

Again, thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

SM

You might try googling Glennview in Chicago , he deals with this stuff .

djdister
15-Aug-2017, 10:34
Your two most likely venues to sell this are through this forum and through Craigslist. You should also be aware that people have given these things away because there aren't many likely buyers who are also close-by enough to pick them up. In any event, don't expect any sort of big payday for the enlarger...

Jac@stafford.net
15-Aug-2017, 10:58
A complete Saltzman enlarger can weigh 1,400 pounds.

For more information, here is a catalog in PDF format. (http://www.digoliardi.net/saltzman_sm.pdf)

aeleggett
25-Oct-2018, 16:12
You have the negative stage and bellows for the vertical enlarger. Most valuable item you have would be the negative carrier.

jnantz
26-Oct-2018, 09:15
do you have a light source?
there was someone who was
a regular here who picked up
a behemouth like yours and he
was missing a light source ..
and was mulling over the idea
of putting a monsterous unvented movie flood
in there .. no clue if he did or not, but
if you have the light source and are parting it out
i can' give you his username &c to make sure
he doensn't burn down his house from his hot work
getting even hotter... and then his enlarger turning into a
molten metal mess on his floor...

joem
26-Oct-2018, 16:26
i'm a bit interested do you have more pics?

Jac@stafford.net
26-Oct-2018, 16:34
My plan so far is to put the Saltzman enlarger, part by part over several months to be picked up and discarded by our local, most excellent trash disposal people. Of course with advance notice.

Bob Salomon
26-Oct-2018, 16:50
My plan so far is to put the Saltzman enlarger, part by part over several months to be picked up and discarded by our local, most excellent trash disposal people. Of course with advance notice.

Way back when in 1983 we came to the decision to discontinue the Combina 35mm and roll film developing tanks.
We had all of the molds in the front part of our warehouse and set up a line to discard them in our dumpster. So we rolled the dumpster to a loading dock door. I would take a mold down and roll it to the warehouse manager who would give it an additional push to the dock door where our president would pick it up and toss it into the dumpster.

We had lots of molds and after they were all in the dumpster the three of us rolled it back to where it would normally be.

A couple of days later the garbage truck came, picked up the dumpster and emptied it into the truck, with a tremendously loud crash!

The driver got out and looked in the back of his truck, then he knocked on our dock entrance and looked in the warehouse. He told the warehouse manager that we should be careful as since we obviously did not have molding machines and what he could see were just cartons of photo equipment he wanted to warn us that someone had loaded our dumpster up with steel molds and almost broke the lift mechanism on his truck!

We told him that we would keep an eye out!