PDA

View Full Version : Source for small piece of white plexiglass

Ulophot
31-Jul-2017, 16:35
The plastics companies that I can dig up which carry 1/16-inch white Plexiglass (2447) sell large sheets. All I need is a piece for my neg carrier, 3.75 x 4.75, for Alan Ross's dodge-burn masking technique. I thought I might find a 4x6 sample, but only in clear. I have a request in at one company for a piece of scrap from any larger job using the stuff, but thought I'd ask if anyone happens to know a U.S. source that deals in small pieces. I am not going to buy a 2x4-ft sheet.

Thanks.

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Jul-2017, 17:03
Alan will sell you a piece and cut it to size, just contact him.

Erik Larsen
31-Jul-2017, 17:35
Might ask a sign company for a scrap or if they will cut you a piece?

Steve Goldstein
31-Jul-2017, 19:15
Have you had a look on ebay? I bought a piece of 2447 there a couple of years ago..

Leigh
31-Jul-2017, 20:48
McMaster-Carr has 1/16" Plexiglass for $1.51 a foot in 2-foot lengths.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#clear-impact-resistant-plastic/=18qu84e

No minimum order and they only charge actual shipping.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
31-Jul-2017, 21:15
The plastics companies that I can dig up which carry 1/16-inch white Plexiglass (2447) sell large sheets. All I need is a piece for my neg carrier, 3.75 x 4.75, for Alan Ross's dodge-burn masking technique. I thought I might find a 4x6 sample, but only in clear. I have a request in at one company for a piece of scrap from any larger job using the stuff, but thought I'd ask if anyone happens to know a U.S. source that deals in small pieces. I am not going to buy a 2x4-ft sheet.

Thanks.

Is it milled absoluteifpy flat or are the edges thinner then the centre or vice versa?

Paul Cunningham
31-Jul-2017, 23:47
Locally in Oregon we have a store called TAP Plastics. They supply and cut sheets in any size to order.

Ulophot
1-Aug-2017, 10:35
Alan will sell you a piece and cut it to size, just contact him.

Oh, my goodness! I just realized -- Alan is the very Alan Ross I mentioned. It didn't cross my mind to contact him. Thanks, Eric, and by the way, exceptionally fine work on your site!

Philip

Doremus Scudder
1-Aug-2017, 11:11
Any sign company usually has a piece of scrap sitting around that they will give you free or for a nominal charge. I recently got a piece for a Chromega-to-Beseler lighthead conversion I did from a local sign company (Mulit-Craft Plastics in Eugene, OR). They even cut me a six-inch square from a larger scrap piece and charged me nothing.

Search Yellow Pages or online for plastic suppliers and you should be able to find a source near you.

Best,

Doremus

Jerry Bodine
1-Aug-2017, 12:17
+1 for TAP Plastics, a west coast chain. Will cut to size specified; check for their cutting tolerances. They've always cut mine close enough while I waited for just a few minutes.
Home page: https://www.tapplastics.com/

I searched their site for "white plexiglass 2447" and came up with this pdf:
https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/arch_glaze.pdf
It's available as an Acrylite product in .060" thickness; Acrylite's color code equivalent to 2447 is 020-4. Tech data for Acrylite GP and Acrylite FF shows they'll transmit about 50% (one stop).

Ulophot
1-Aug-2017, 19:13
Thanks to one and all! I will surely find what I need soon.

AtlantaTerry
1-Aug-2017, 22:30
Not quite the same thing... but I need a sheet of milk white plastic for a sweep table (for product shots). The one that came with the sweep table got damaged in storage and now I have to retouch every product shot to clean up the defects.