PDA

View Full Version : Repository for scans of f-scales ?

consummate_fritterer
22-Jul-2017, 08:45
Is there an image repository for scans of shutter f-scales? If not, then if someone wants to start one, I'll contribute.

Louis Pacilla
22-Jul-2017, 08:47
Is there an image repository for scans of shutter f-scales?

Not that I'm aware of as there are so many variables and loads of them but it sounds like a fine idea.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jul-2017, 10:34
Good idea. May I suggest that photos or scans include a description and a fine ruler to indicate dimensions?
I would reproduce scans in vector graphics for engineering drawings, CAD/CAM, etc.

consummate_fritterer
22-Jul-2017, 14:10
Good idea. May I suggest that photos or scans include a description and a fine ruler to indicate dimensions?
I would reproduce scans in vector graphics for engineering drawings, CAD/CAM, etc.

Good ideas but I don't think a fine ruler is necessary provided the scale is correct along with precise shutter and optics info.

Please post what you need. Maybe one of us has the correct scale for the lens cells and shutter.

consummate_fritterer
22-Jul-2017, 14:12
An example of what I need is the scale for a f-9 (f-6.8) 150mm Apo-Computar (or Apo-Kyvytar... or Graphic-Kowa) in Copal shutter with 7-leaf aperture.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jul-2017, 14:40
Good ideas but I don't think a fine ruler is necessary provided the scale is correct along with precise shutter and optics info.

I could not disagree more.

consummate_fritterer
22-Jul-2017, 16:16
I could not disagree more.

Point correct... any cells that fit modern #00, #0, #1 and #3 Copal/Compur/Seiko/Compur/Prontor shutters are the same, if cells are transplanted into similar shutters the scale will be correct.

The point is to have a repository for as many combinations as we can collect so we can make f-scales for which lenses are missing them. BUT... in most cases, cells are made for specific shutters.

We can do this. As Dr. John Nash would have said (paraphrased), "The best outcome results from each individual doing what's best for himself... and for the group".

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jul-2017, 16:42
Point correct... any cells that fit modern #00, #0, #1 and #3 Copal/Compur/Seiko/Compur/Prontor shutters are the same, if cells are transplanted into similar shutters the scale will be correct.

I have doubts. I hope Dan Fromm contributes to this thread.

consummate_fritterer
23-Jul-2017, 07:33
Probably the best thing would be to close this thread and someone better qualified start a new one on the same subject. I've already made too many errors.

Dan Fromm
23-Jul-2017, 09:23

The point is to have a repository for as many combinations as we can collect so we can make f-scales for which lenses are missing them. BUT... in most cases, cells are made for specific shutters.

We can do this. As Dr. John Nash would have said (paraphrased), "The best outcome results from each individual doing what's best for himself... and for the group".

Eh? Wot? Are you sure?

More exactly, do you mean to say that my 180/6.8 Beryl and my 80/2.8 Planar, both of whose cells fit a Compur/Copal #1 can use the same aperture scale? I've tried the experiment and they can't.

Re Nash equilibrium, are you sure about that too? I mean, in non-cooperative games -- not relevant here or to most situations -- each player looks out for itself without concern for what happens to the other players.