PDA

View Full Version : Grottos Trail, Aspen CO

John Kasaian
16-Jul-2017, 20:39
I was wondering what, if any, imitations are there for LF photography? Will a tripod be practical (or allowed on the trail?) If not is there enough natural light to allow handheld (Speed Graphic) Photography?
The place looks fascinating on my 'puter screen but I haven't found much in the way of practical info for location photography

David Lobato
17-Jul-2017, 05:54
It's on US Forest Service land, which normally does not restrict normal activities. Its popularity may cause problems with using a tripod though. Going when visitors are sparse is a good idea. A friend was there some 25 years ago and saw a bear walk past him as he was setting up his camera.

stawastawa
17-Jul-2017, 06:41
a sweet spot. and a nice river too. for tripod use nimble feet may be required to navigate to some locations. A lot of what is to be seen is 'off trail'. I reccomend hiking for a while without the gear to pick locations.

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2017, 06:46
It's on US Forest Service land, which normally does not restrict normal activities. Its popularity may cause problems with using a tripod though. Going when visitors are sparse is a good idea. A friend was there some 25 years ago and saw a bear walk past him as he was setting up his camera.
From what I've gleaned, mid day has the best light inside the grotto. I'm guessing that's also going to be the most crowded time as well:(

stawastawa
17-Jul-2017, 06:51
I dont recall the grotto itself being that crowded, then again maybe I missed the really cool place =)
There were many people at the trail-head but at 2pm mid September it was nice. Here what the light was like:

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2017, 07:43
Beautiful! I can't wait to give it try!

Eric Biggerstaff
17-Jul-2017, 10:26
Just be careful, the entrance into the cave is tricky and unless you are nimble a ladder may be needed. I have been there many many times over the years, best light inside the cave is basically anytime there is sun. I like evening light for the water.