PDA

View Full Version : I am lost. Where should I sell at a public meet ...

Jac@stafford.net
9-Jul-2017, 16:20
I am lost. Where should I ask for advice for whole selling my gear, or selling it at a photo sale event, or meet, whatever they are called. I have never attended such and don't even know how to find them.

js in Minnesota

Luis-F-S
9-Jul-2017, 16:50
Can't help you there, I usually sell through this list, or rarely through the auction site. I think you'll reach a much wider audience that way.

Dan Fromm
9-Jul-2017, 17:37
How much and what do you have? If you or your heirs can manage it, selling via eBay will net you or them the most.

Time was when most of the good stuff offered at camera shows was purchased for resale by representatives/stringers of NYC used equipment dealers who offered their wares in the back pages of Modern and Popular Photography. Time was. Its been at least five years since I saw Tibor from Adorama at Second Sunday. Needless to say the reps/stringers paid wholesale or less.

I went to Second Sunday this morning. Practically no retail buyers, practically no LF (that's most of what you want to unload, isn't it?) gear on offer. A while ago Arnie Duren told he he was still making enough from sales there to justify the trouble of packing up and going. But he wasn't there today.

FWIW, when my late friend Charlie Barringer contemplated his impending death -- esophageal cancer, I don't recommend it -- he consulted with everyone who would talk with him about how/where to place his collection. Even me. The consensus was to offer it all to Westlicht. He died, his widow did a deal with Westlicht, Peter Koeln came by to supervise packing, ... She, my wife and I have discussed the outcome. Not as remunerative as she would have liked but she was spared the labor of selling it piece at a time.

I don't know whether your collection is as large or as valuable as Charlie's was, but you if have much that's valuable you should think about offering to Peter.

Now that I think of it, years ago Andrew Glover offered to sell my collection of lenses for quite a reasonable commission. You might want to talk things over with him, perhaps also with Jim Galli. The worst that will happen is that you'll be told to go away. Second worst is that you'll be told unwelcome truths about some of your treasures' values.

Jody_S
10-Jul-2017, 20:47
The last 2 Montreal camera fairs I went to (this year), most of what I sold was LF. A few leica lenses, a couple of old manual lenses for the mirrorless and the amateur movie-maker crowd, but I got decent money for lf gear mostly because I was the only seller. MF also sells reasonably well. I say you have little to lose trying a camera fair, it only takes a few hours to pack up some boxes and price things, and it's quite enjoyable to deal with anyone who has the lf bug face-to-face. Yes you can get 30% more selling on fleabay, but don't forget the ebay fees and returns, often damaged, and out of your control thanks to ebay's buyer-friendly policies. I have a number of broken items on a shelf that I can't resell, that ebay refunded and backcharged to me despite my complaints.

stawastawa
10-Jul-2017, 22:50
There are a few meets here in the portland / seattle area every year. I have been to two. they were fun, but I don't know that they were successful in moving inventory. I wish there were a more reliable portal for patient people to post wanted adds, then folks like you could potentially move their gear through that.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Jul-2017, 06:04
The last 2 Montreal camera fairs

Is there a customs hassle?

John Kasaian
11-Jul-2017, 09:37
Awww, Jac, say it ain't so. :(

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2017, 10:44
We have a camera show as it is called here in St. Louis. They have it twice a year at a Hotel. It's mostly 35mm cameras. Of course that is here and maybe there are better shows in larger cities like Chicago.

Like mentioned above, Ebay will reach your largest audience. This forum and APUG are good. You also might try Craigslist for any large items that are not worth much. Do not sell all your gear together for a one price deal if you want the most money for it. I can tell you stories about buying people's kits and then parting them out and the money I made.

I wish you well!

HMG
11-Jul-2017, 13:02
I would assume, for you in Winona, the logical locations for camera shows are Madison, Minneapolis, and Chicago. I can tell you from personal experience that Minneapolis is a bust as far as camera shows for selling equipment. Just very little activity and even less interest in LF.

As others have stated, this forum (especially since you're well known here), apug and ebay are your best bets.

National Camera in Minneapolis (actually, their Golden Valley location) would potentially buy entire lots, as would KEH. If you get 1/2 of what they would sell it for, consider yourself lucky.

This list (http://www.photorama.com/dates.html) includes Chicago shows.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Jul-2017, 14:27
I would assume, for you in Winona, the logical locations for camera shows are Madison, Minneapolis, and Chicago. I can tell you from personal experience that Minneapolis is a bust as far as camera shows for selling equipment. Just very little activity and even less interest in LF. [... snip good stuff ...]

Thanks so much. Madison (Mad Town) appeals to me for personal reasons. It is worth a trip! First I will put the large format stuff up here and maybe eBay.

Very Best,
Jac Stafford

jnantz
11-Jul-2017, 16:53
jac

if you make it bac east to NE
PHSNE has a show every april / spring
it might be worth looking into .. ( or not )
http://www.phsne.org/shows.html

Jac@stafford.net
11-Jul-2017, 17:08
jac

if you make it bac east to NE
PHSNE has a show every april / spring
it might be worth looking into .. ( or not )
http://www.phsne.org/shows.html

Oh, man, how I would love to revisit Warwick, Rhode Island. If I do, we must have a cup of coffee or something. I found that my birthplace had its address changed but I know where to find it now.

AtlantaTerry
11-Jul-2017, 17:55
Here in Atlanta, Georgia USA, both Wing's Camera and Quality Camera buy whole lots of photography equipment.

Wing's Camera
ask for Mike (the owner) and tell him I sent you
3100 Briarcliff Rd NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
(404) 636-4406
http://www.wingscamera.com/

Quality Camera Company
382 Trabert Avenue, NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30309
(404) 881-8700
https://www.qualitycamera.com/

I have done business with both and know them to be good people.

DrTang
12-Jul-2017, 07:18
how much time/effort you want to put into it?

if not much..sell as a lot to some big buyer or camera store like KEH

if you have the time.. do research and open a 'shop' on ebay and have at it

or..pack it all up and get a couple tables at a the biggest camera show/swap within driving distance - you still need to do the research upfront and will be probably left with a ton of odds and ends.. but it's kinda nice to get it done in one shot

morecfm
12-Jul-2017, 08:29
Here in Atlanta, Georgia USA, both Wing's Camera and Quality Camera buy whole lots of photography equipment.

I have done business with both and know them to be good people.

I've consigned some equipment at Wings Camera. Only problem is that when I went in last time to pick up my cash, I wound up with net payment to them after I bought several items from there during that visit. But they were items I "needed"
By consigning equipment, you can wind up getting somewhere between wholesale and retail for the equipment.