PDA

View Full Version : a DIY simple VIEWFINDER ...............................

sinutay
9-Jul-2017, 05:41
in case your glass viewfinder is broken, try this:
take a thin paper. I use paper found in notepads, with a printed grid of 5 mm ...
a drop of oil. remove excess oil, using cotton. I use olive oil , known for stability, but any oil will do.
fix the oiled paper on glass or plexiglass .
That's it .

Steven Tribe
10-Jul-2017, 14:32
To make sense, the OP must be talking about a temporary fix for the ground glass. I would have thought that cutting glass is more than 50% of the work of making a new ground glass.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Jul-2017, 15:18
To make sense, the OP must be talking about a temporary fix for the ground glass. I would have thought that cutting glass is more than 50% of the work of making a new ground glass.

True, and cutting ground glass is not a difficult task for anyone with about $3. It is worth reminding folks that glass edges are also very easy to sand down to fit.

Mark Sawyer
10-Jul-2017, 15:30
If you're out on the road and can't make or buy a "real" replacement, the spray-on glass frosting from a hardware store works well enough on window glass til you get a new ground glass.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Jul-2017, 15:34
If you're out on the road and can't make or buy a "real" replacement, the spray-on glass frosting from a hardware store works well enough on window glass til you get a new ground glass.

I forgot about that! Yep! Thanks.

jim10219
12-Jul-2017, 18:32
I've also used scotch tape. Not on a LF camera, because thankfully I haven't had to deal with that. But it works great for calibrating rangefinders. Get the cheap stuff that is a bit hazy. The glue diffuses the light perfectly and hold it in place. It's not a long term solution, due to the crap it'll pick up, but it's a simple and effective temporary one.

Reinhold Schable
13-Jul-2017, 10:10
Find a piece of clear plexiglass. (1/8" thick, or so, it doesn't matter)
Hardware store, frame shop, (Michaels's, etc).
Find a piece of #200 grit or finer sandpaper.
Scuff up one side.
Face the frosted side to the lens.
Go back to taking pictures.

Reinhold
www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Jim Noel
13-Jul-2017, 11:16
A very temporary but bright substitute is a piece of toilet tissue. When I was 9 or 10 years old I broke he GG on my filmpack camera and had to use this substitute for a couple of weeks.