PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wet plate lens

Michael Raymond
2-Jul-2017, 13:52
Hello I am new to the forum and I purchased a Dallmeyer 15x12 Lens today at my local flea market, the glass appears to be clear, I do not have much information about it. I wanted to put it on my wet plate Camera. My camera is capable of 8 x 10. I am new to this, does anyone have any information about it? I know it uses water house stops, however I do not know if I can purchase them? Also, a lens cap? And possibly a screw on sun shield may be missing. Can I clean up the lens so it is shiny brass again? It says it was made in 1868. any Information would be helpful

Mark Sawyer
2-Jul-2017, 14:23
Welcome to the forum! Most likely what you have is a Dallmeyer Rapid Rectilinear, a design introduced by Dallmeyer in 1866. You can confirm this if it has any sign of cement separation around the edges of the rear element, (the rear element in a RR is a cemented doublet). It's a very nice English lens, though perhaps slightly dark for wet plate portraiture at f/6 or f/8. Or there's a more remote chance that it's a 5A or 5D Petzval.

Here's a link to an 1896 Dallmeyer catalog that lists their lenses:
http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/Records/catalogues/1896Dallmeyer%20Catalogue.pdf

With the serial number, you might find more detailed information about your lens here:

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/index2.html

Steven Tribe
2-Jul-2017, 15:10
Another possibility is the Triple Achromat which was also engraved with the size it covered. 15x12" was a quite common format and these do appear quite often for both RRs and TAs.

Michael Raymond
2-Jul-2017, 15:15
Hello, thank you for the reply ! it is engraved Dallmeyer rapid rectilinear 1868

Is this not a wet plate lens? I only paid about $100 for it I figured that was a good deal. Along with it I picked up a camera, Ill post pictures. I wanted to see if anybody knew exactly what it was, it has double Bellows and is very large. Please see my photo bucket link to check out the lens and camera.

Also, Do I need Waterhouse stops to use the lens? Any idea where to find a " sun shield" for the lens or a lens cap? can I polish the lens?

Sorry for all the questions, Im trying to get some info so I can re-finish the camera and get shooting.

Mark Sawyer
2-Jul-2017, 15:57
If you click on "reply (rather than just use the "quick reply that's pre-loaded) and then click on "go advanced", there's a "manage attachments" button that allows you to upload images.

It sounds as though you got a very good deal. The lens is appropriate for wet plate, and came from that era. You'll only need Waterhouse stops if you intend to use the lens stopped down, which most wet plate users don't.

Michael Raymond
2-Jul-2017, 16:10
Thank you

I posted a link in the post above to photo bucket for the lens and camera. Thanks for the information. Its apprecieated.

Steven Tribe
3-Jul-2017, 01:53
Your photobucket link is almost impossible for me to use (Ipad) due to long and lost loads! Close -up images posted here would help. Although it looks like a black painted Ansco/Century style studio camera, it has probably had use in the printing/reproduction industry. The RR is a typical lens used there in the era before lenses were designed specifically for this purpose. The lens is very good for general photographic use, but would be considered slow by most wet platers who are interested in portraits - due to lengthy exposure times.

Michael Raymond
3-Jul-2017, 04:58

Michael Raymond
3-Jul-2017, 05:00

Steven Tribe
3-Jul-2017, 06:48
The date engraving is very, very unusual. Is there no serial number? The only other date I can remember on UK lenses was the day of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee (Ross lens?).

The lack of rear movements suggests a process camera, but basically a simplified version of Studio designs like Anthony, who were active before Century Cameras came along in 1899/1900.

Michael Raymond
3-Jul-2017, 18:42
The date engraving is very, very unusual. Is there no serial number? The only other date I can remember on UK lenses was the day of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee (Ross lens?).

The lack of rear movements suggests a process camera, but basically a simplified version of Studio designs like Anthony, who were active before Century Cameras came along in 1899/1900.

The serial number is 15999 its engraved on the lens, just not in the photo.

Fr. Mark
3-Jul-2017, 22:54
It's your lens but I'd vote against polishing it. Historical patina and all that.
If you want them Waterhouse stops can be made from brass, aluminum and plastic sheets, even card stock. It takes a little math to know the exact f-stop you get from a given hole size v focal length. I've made a couple portraits with rapid rectilinear lenses. If you have a good set up it can work even at f11. I was using ~64 speed film but it was indoors and multi second exposures.

Steven Tribe
4-Jul-2017, 00:50
On Monday, the 16th of March 1868, Mr Longstaff, a very experienced staff member at Dallmeyers (He made lots of Patent Portrait lenses) finished 5 of these 15x12" Rapid Rectilinear lenses. They were given the serial numbers 15,996 to 16,000.
No buyer was indicated, but it is likely all 5 went to the same purchaser - who perhaps engraved the later 1868 date on them when he received them.

Michael Raymond
4-Jul-2017, 18:42
On Monday, the 16th of March 1868, Mr Longstaff, a very experienced staff member at Dallmeyers (He made lots of Patent Portrait lenses) finished 5 of these 15x12" Rapid Rectilinear lenses. They were given the serial numbers 15,996 to 16,000.
No buyer was indicated, but it is likely all 5 went to the same purchaser - who perhaps engraved the later 1868 date on them when he received them.

WOW. Where did you find out that information? That is pretty cool considering my lens is one of the five that was ordered. I'd love to know who purchased them that would be pretty amazing.

Steven Tribe
5-Jul-2017, 01:05
There is an on line historical archive of most of Dallmeyer' production through to the late 19th Century. Photos of ledgers/stock books made by Dallmeyer Sean about 10 years ago.
Link to "Your" page is here:

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/Records/Volumes/stockbook3/Rectilinear%20Settings/Rapid%20Rectilinear%20Settings/15x12.pdf

The links are not 100% reliable, so try again later if necessary!