PDA

View Full Version : CZ Jena 180mm f/9 Apo-Tessar?

Phil_F_NM
30-Jun-2017, 14:00
I just found a CZ Jena 180/9 Apo-Tessar online and scored it for a whopping $35USD. Problem is, I can't find a dang thing online about this process lens. Only info is a writeup by Arne Croell about all the East-German lenses. I'm wondering if anyone has used this optic, if there were any issues front-mounting it to a shutter (thread pitch discrepancies were noted in Croell's article) and any other pertinent info. I'm wanting to reverse mount the lens for very close up photos of insects, leaves, etc.
Any info would be great.
Thanks all!
Phil Forrest

Dan Fromm
30-Jun-2017, 17:33
Phil, I just took a look at Arne's czj.pdf. Unless I'm blind he said nothing useful at all about these lenses' threading, either external mounting, cell mounting or filter.

Calm down, wait for the thing to come from Tbilisi and then you'll know what can be done with it.

I have more lenses set up for front mounting than some folks. With two exceptions that don't apply to your situation, the only ones that screw directly into a standard shutter were specifically made to do that. Tominons for the Polaroid MP-4 (and one other odd Tominon) and 35/4 Eurygons for the Polaroid MP-3. That's all.

All of the others needed adapters. Threaded bushings, internal threads to accept the lens, external to fit into the front of a shutter.

If you're lucky your new prize will be threaded front and rear enough smaller than M40 that a bushing to mount it in front of a #1 is possible. If that works, you'll want an MP-4 Copal Press #1. These have no diaphragm so are generally useless and, therefore, not very expensive. If not, you'll need a cup-shaped or stepped bushing. For what you have in mind an MP-4 shutter would still be a good choice.

SKGrimes has made many cup-shaped bushings for me.

About reversing the beast. If it is threaded at both ends the threads will be the same on both ends. The front mounting threads may be covered by a trim ring. Some of my process lenses are like that, and sometimes their little trim rings have been hard to remove.

Taija71A
30-Jun-2017, 18:43
http://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf

Table 3a. VEB Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessars and the related S-Tessar.
Note that Apo-Tessar mounts often have no filter threads, or uncommon ones.

... I'm wanting to reverse mount the lens for very close up photos of insects, leaves, etc...

If your Lens is optimized for a 1:1 reproduction ratio... There of course is no advantage in reverse mounting it.

Phil_F_NM
30-Jun-2017, 20:07

If your Lens is optimized for a 1:1 reproduction ratio... There of course is no advantage in reverse mounting it.

"Note that the outer front ring of all Apo-Tessar mounts unscrews to mount the lens in reverse for magnifications larger than 1:1."

I'm just going by the specs of the lens.

Phil Forrest

Taija71A
30-Jun-2017, 20:18
"Note that the outer front ring of all Apo-Tessar mounts unscrews to mount the lens in reverse for magnifications larger than 1:1."
I'm just going by the specs of the lens. Phil Forrest

Okay... I read that already.
Therefore, which version of the Lens do you have?

Phil_F_NM
30-Jun-2017, 20:45
We'll see when it arrives.

Phil Forrest

Phil_F_NM
13-Jul-2017, 22:42
The lens arrived Wednesday evening as I was walking out the door to a sculpture class.
I dug into it when I got home and found it was in far better condition than was described. I took out the rear group, blew out the barrel with a blower then put it back together.

Earlier yesterday (Thursday) I got that threaded collar loose from the front of the lens and it is definitely reversible. I made a board out of some plexiglass and when I got the lens onto the camera, I asked myself "why?" is it reversible? As Taija71A mentioned, it doesn't matter how the lens is oriented. I'm sure there is some tiny difference I may be able to see in a photo of a test chart but I don't do those. Anyway, at my full bellows draw, the lens gave me an image that was just a hair larger than life-size, regardless of lens orientation. So I fixed it in the board normal side out and will go make a few images with it at the Woodlands Cemetery here in Philly, when the heat wave breaks and the humidity drops. It's so hot, the water is coming out of the tap at 27 Celsius! I know because I just developed a dozen sheets I've shot over the last few months.

So, the rundown on the lens is it is a circa 1963 single coated model. On the aperture ring is R55 which I'm guessing is the diameter of the lens with the trim ring on and the R to denote it is reversible as-per Croell's description. One thing though, this lens didn't come with a ring to lock it into a lensboard. The diameter is 52.2mm and pitch is .5mm. I'm just going to have a machinist cut me a few rings for it. As for what to do about exposure times, I'm going to use the lens cap method until I get more advanced and stick some black felt onto a heavy card to use as a quicker cap.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does at infinity, regardless if it will good or not.
Thanks all for the advice and discussion. One of these days I need to get some images posted here. I just need to get these negatives scanned somehow.

Phil Forrest

Leszek Vogt
14-Jul-2017, 01:16
Phil, all these other accessories will cost more than the lens itself. I think you did well.

Les

Dan Fromm
14-Jul-2017, 01:22
Phil, Tim is mistaken. Tessars are asymmetric, you'll need to reverse the lens for work above 1:1. Why do you think CJZ put those front threads on?

Taija71A
14-Jul-2017, 01:58

Table 3a. VEB Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessars and the related S-Tessar.
Note that Apo-Tessar mounts often have no filter threads, or uncommon ones.

... I'm wanting to reverse mount the lens for very close up photos of insects, leaves, etc...

Phil, Tim is mistaken. Tessars are asymmetric, you'll need to reverse the lens for work above 1:1. Why do you think CJZ put those front threads on?

Phil, Dan is of course correct (for work above 1:1).

When, posting my 'original' comment...
I was only 'thinking' that you were wanting to mount the lens for very close up photos of insects, leaves, etc (Up to 1:1 Magnification).

I am very sorry, for any 'confusion' that I may have caused you (For your work above 1:1).
--
Thank-you, for that clarification Dan. Greatly appreciated! :)

-Tim.

Phil_F_NM
14-Jul-2017, 09:44
Tim, no worries. I know the Tessars are asymmetric so it makes sense that reversing the lens would show a difference. I would like to be able to see what the lens does when reversed though and right now there is no discernible difference.

Not to worry though, it looks like a nice optic that fits between my old Kodak meniscus and my very young CMW Fujinon. If I can find or make a lensboards with extension, I'll experiment with that ratio above 1:1.

Phil Forrest

Taija71A
14-Jul-2017, 11:27
Thanks for your understanding Phil. No worries here also.
Have fun experimenting with your new Tessar Lens! :)