PDA

View Full Version : July 9 Washington DC (Great Falls) meet-up

Tim Meisburger
28-Jun-2017, 13:01
We will have a pot-luck breakfast at Great Falls National Park (Virginia side) on Sunday, July 9. 2017. Park opens at 7:00 am, and breakfast will be around 9:00, to allow some time for shooting before. We can meet near the first or second overlook. I will bring sausages, some eggs, charcoal and a frying pan. Please post a note here if you plan to come, and help spread the word to any LFers you know in the area.

theschanz
29-Jun-2017, 04:39
See you on the 9th. I'll pick up some bagels and cream cheese.

Milton Tierney
29-Jun-2017, 12:50
Looks like breakfast is covered, I'll bring the coffee.
If I can bring anything else let me know.

Tim Meisburger
29-Jun-2017, 13:29
Great! Looking forward to it. Hopefully in the next week or so we will pick up a few more people.

geneg12
30-Jun-2017, 07:30
I plan to be there at 7am, I will be using an old press camera 4x5 but also will be bring my digital camera. Want to learn more about view cameras! Use up the rest of my B&W and Color slide film so I can get it processed.
Gene

Milton Tierney
30-Jun-2017, 12:37
Bring some work to show off. I always like to get other photographer views of my work and to see what others are doing. I do have a very thick skin, feel free to let me have it, this is how you grow as an artist.

Ulophot
30-Jun-2017, 15:40
Not sure I can get there by 7, but will try to be there to meet fellow photographers. May be able to find a few suitable prints, though I have done very little landscape work in any format.

Philip

Mark Sampson
4-Jul-2017, 10:25
I think I can get there... just have to wake up early enough.

Milton Tierney
4-Jul-2017, 11:42
Being retired don't like getting up early myself. Hope you make it, think it'll be fun.
I'll bring the coffee.

djdister
4-Jul-2017, 13:43
A few logistical questions - how much hiking with gear is required to get good shots of the falls? Is there any problem with setting a tripod up at the overlook areas? Can you walk on trails and get closer to the falls than the overlooks?

Mark Sampson
4-Jul-2017, 16:27
The overlook I'm thinking of is probably 200 yards of level ground from the parking lot. It's right in the middle of the public area of the park. Haven't been there in a year or two but it's easy... and there won't be any crowds at that time of day. When there last I carried my whole Sinar Norma kit and too-big tripod without trouble, but I'm used to that.

Tim Meisburger
4-Jul-2017, 18:01
You can get closer if you climb the fence. Although I don't think they can actually prevent you from going anywhere in the park, they discourage people from going down to the water by putting up rail fences. Its weird.

Anyway, the view from the overlook is nice. If you want to hike, you can follow the trail further down the gorge, where there are some nice cliffs.

djdister
5-Jul-2017, 09:00
Tim and Mark, thanks for the info. A couple more questions:

Is there a time of day after which it would be difficult to find a parking space? (I'm not a real early riser, especially on Sunday)

Any recommendations for the optimum time of day to shoot from the Overlook areas? (based on a sunny day and given the orientation of the subject)

Way back in the day I used to know of a "sun finder" where you could plug in the long/lat, time of day, and orientation of the subject to be able to calculate a reasonable window of time for shooting with "good light" - but that is long gone. Someone probably has an app for that now though...

Milton Tierney
5-Jul-2017, 09:11
Check out: http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=38.326377,-76.471503&center=38.3545,-76.6604&dt=20140806111700-0400&z=10&spn=0.58,1.83

djdister
5-Jul-2017, 09:15
Check out: http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=38.326377,-76.471503¢er=38.3545,-76.6604&dt=20140806111700-0400&z=10&spn=0.58,1.83

Very nice, thanks for the link!

Tim Meisburger
5-Jul-2017, 10:09
I would say that if you got there by nine parking would not be a problem. It does get quite full later in the day sometimes, but maybe not so much in mid-summer. As for the best time to shoot, because the falls are in a north/south gorge, there doesn't seem to be any time where you get raking shadows, as by the time the sun clears the trees its already pretty high. I think early and late for softer light, and maybe in the winter.

Milton Tierney
7-Jul-2017, 13:15
Sunday meetup, bring photos to show off.

Tim Meisburger
8-Jul-2017, 17:02
See you all in the morning!

geneg12
9-Jul-2017, 18:06
Thanks everyone, that was fun and I survived the rocks!! Now I have to get the Color loaded for development and I think I'll develop the B&W. Hope we can do it again. Gene

Mark Sampson
9-Jul-2017, 18:56
Somehow I missed y'all. Got there just before 9am and wandered the overlooks and river trail- thought I'd see somebody with a tripod set up. Never did- took a picture or two and departed around 10:30 as the light had gotten too high and the visitors were ever more numerous. Plus I had other commitments. There was a 1/4 mile tailback when I left, SUVs in line to enter. Glad I went though- it's a beautiful place and only 20 miles from home; perhaps we'll do that again and I'll get up earlier. It was a perfect day- hope everyone had fun!

Milton Tierney
10-Jul-2017, 04:37
Mark sorry you missed us. I'm hoping for another meetup soon and you will be able to join us. Yes the park did started to get thick with people starting about 9am.
It was a pleasure meeting and talking shop with fellow LFers from the other side of the computer screen. Many thanks for everyone who critiqued my photos. I find it most helpful when people tell me what they think of my work.
It was great fun, or what the Irish would say....Lots of craig.

Ulophot
13-Jul-2017, 12:31
Has anyone posted images from our outing? I'm the one who was only practicing composition and movements, sans film. Would love to see what anyone else discovered.

Philip

Tim Meisburger
14-Jul-2017, 04:36
Sorry we missed you Mark. By 9:00 we were setting up at the picnic tables across from overlook 2 for breakfast.

Sorry I haven't posted anything yet. I have yet to develop the negatives. Scrambling on the rocks, I pulled a muscle in my back, and have been laid up with that most of the week. I'll try to post some here this weekend.

geneg12
14-Jul-2017, 04:54
Well, I just organized my film holders and about to pull out the color slide film to send off for processing along with 5 roles of 120. I have to find my daylight tank that is brand new and figure out chemicals. If I run into trouble I will be asking for help!! I am sending the color stuff to Digital Silver Imaging in Belmont, MA the have a special this month for 5+ sheets at $3.50 each and 5+ roles at $18.95 each for development and scanning. I am going to Huntley Meadow Saturday morning to shot a role of 120 through my mamiya 645 so I have 5 roles to develop. My email is geneg12@aol.com

djdister
14-Jul-2017, 06:49
Well, I just organized my film holders and about to pull out the color slide film to send off for processing along with 5 roles of 120. I have to find my daylight tank that is brand new and figure out chemicals. If I run into trouble I will be asking for help!! I am sending the color stuff to Digital Silver Imaging in Belmont, MA the have a special this month for 5+ sheets at $3.50 each and 5+ roles at $18.95 each for development and scanning. I am going to Huntley Meadow Saturday morning to shot a role of 120 through my mamiya 645 so I have 5 roles to develop. My email is geneg12@aol.com

Since you are local to the DC area, I would recommend a local lab: DodgeChrome in Silver Spring, MD.

geneg12
14-Jul-2017, 09:09
The prices look simular so if I get time I will put together my color film and go to DodgeChrome in McLean Saturday after a photo shoot.

Pali K
14-Jul-2017, 11:18
Gene, another vote for DodgeChrome. I have toured their facility in Silver Spring, MD and you will not find a better lab anywhere on the east coast.

Pali

geneg12
14-Jul-2017, 17:05
I'll give DodgeChrome a shot for the color film. Maybe we could do a group meetup to do some film development. I have done a few roles 2 years ago and have the chemicals but would love someone with more experience to make sure I am doing everything right. I have like 5 roles of 120 film and maybe 10 exposed sheets of B&W. Gene

Tim Meisburger
16-Jul-2017, 06:27

Tim Meisburger
16-Jul-2017, 06:36
I didn't have anything from the trip I was particularly happy with, but one of the nice things about having this in my backyard is that I can keep going back and try again, and there were a few images that gave me ideas for future compositions. I definitely need to shoot this with a longer lens, and would like to have some clouds in the sky.

Cheers, Tim