PDA

View Full Version : Harrison changing tent issues with dust?

Serge S
9-Jun-2017, 08:18
I'm considering the Harrison standard size changing tent (4x5 & 5x7 sheet film) and was wondering if dust can be an issue and if so any tips on keeping it free of dust.

Thanks!

Serge

Jac@stafford.net
9-Jun-2017, 08:32
I'm considering the Harrison standard size changing tent (4x5 & 5x7 sheet film) and was wondering if dust can be an issue and if so any tips on keeping it free of dust.

There are disposable duster rags. Swiffer is one brand. You can put two or three in the tent and shake it about to trap dust, then discard, then keep a new one in the tent when loading film. Also, wash your hands before using the tent. Human skin sheds dust like crazy. (Wearing photographic clean gloves are to expensive to use just once. Your call.)

I use Swiffers to dust film holders, the enlarger, interior camera bellows.

Do not choose a disposable duster with scenting or polish embedded.

Alan Gales
9-Jun-2017, 09:21
I went to the UPS store and bought a big cardboard box to keep my Jumbo tent in. It was a lot to pay for a cardboard box but it sure keeps the dust off my Harrison tent.

David Karp
9-Jun-2017, 09:30
I just wipe mine out with a damp cloth once in a while. Then I dry it. Obviously, don't use a cloth that leaves lint everywhere. :-)

The tent is a real luxury. I really like mine.

Michael Clark
9-Jun-2017, 09:33
Those Swiffer things sound good for when camping, but I have always used a damp cloth to wipe the inside walls.

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jun-2017, 10:08
Damp cloth. Never had dust issues, and I've used it in dry dusty places. No worries.

Serge S
9-Jun-2017, 10:37
I feel confident now that I can keep the dust at bay:)

I will try the swiffers on my holders. Can only help!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Serge

JMO
9-Jun-2017, 11:06
I keep my medium-size Harrison tent in an XXL size plastic Ziploc bag kept inside a large, tightly-sealed tote box at all times, except when I am using it during a road trip (I have a darkroom at home). I also use a clean, shiny surface table cloth that I put on top of the motel room desk, and below the tent when it is set-up (and also use this table cloth in my darkroom when working with film holders). Other various gear items associated with handling of film holders, careful storing of exposed films, and camera/lens cleaning and maintenance while on road trips are kept in Ziploc bags within the tote. Since the tent has almost never been exposed to much dust (I don't camp), my routine of shaking it out before each use and occasional damp cloth wipe downs (inside tent) means I have not noticed many issues with dust and specks on films that I could associate with the tent itself. However, in the last year or so my collection of film holders has grown to over 50, so I don't foresee needing to use the tent too much on future road trips (though it will always go along and I used it a bit on a month long trip this past March/April).

Net/net, I like my Harrison film changing tent, and, with care, feel it can be used without compromising your films due to dust and specs.

Daniel Stone
9-Jun-2017, 20:23
Just use a slightly damp cloth to wipe down all surfaces, inside and out. Use water only. I vacuum the inside out around once a year. The outside silver material is sensitive to cleaning agents, it's a well documented issue.

Just use water

biedron
9-Jun-2017, 23:32
Occasional vacuum and wipe with damp cloth

Arne Croell
12-Jun-2017, 06:54
I use one of those sticky lint rollers on the inside surfaces before using it.

Jim Andrada
13-Jun-2017, 01:24
My biggest issue with the Harrison tent is that the cat thinks it's hers. Damp cloth seems to fix the problem. Maybe I'm not a purr-fectionist

Pfsor
13-Jun-2017, 06:34
Jim, as a cat lover I'm deeply touched by your selfishness. I beg you, in the name of your cat, to go and buy her her own Harrison tent, a cheap one from Ebay, not even in good shape, doesn't need to be light tight.
You will have good conscience, a happy cat and my appreciation.

Jim Andrada
13-Jun-2017, 15:23
And maybe I can teach her to load film holders while she's in there.

Pfsor
13-Jun-2017, 16:05
I'm slightly worried it could be asking too much. On the contrary, she could surely help with dusting them.

stawastawa
17-Jun-2017, 21:08
My biggest issue with the Harrison tent is that the cat thinks it's hers. Damp cloth seems to fix the problem. Maybe I'm not a purr-fectionist

boxes and paper sacks I would hope make cheap alternatives for the cat.

Thanks all for the tent upkeep tips.
One other that the makers stress is storage - don't stuff it all up, give it space to relax - they recommend a cardboard box, I prefer a plastic tub with vent holes in it.

LabRat
17-Jun-2017, 21:45
boxes and paper sacks I would hope make cheap alternatives for the cat.

Thanks all for the tent upkeep tips.
One other that the makers stress is storage - don't stuff it all up, give it space to relax - they recommend a cardboard box, I prefer a plastic tub with vent holes in it.

And keep it relaxed because over time, the material out-gasses, and the gases can further attack itself, making it sticky, and slowly melt the coatings... (I had some older softboxes, and rain jackets stored up tight, and over time the coatings ate themselves...)

And make sure the tent is bone dry before storage, as they can mildew and smell too ripe when you next use 'em... And if you use them when you are sweaty, the salts of you can leave a residue...

Steve K

Serge S
22-Jun-2017, 10:31
And keep it relaxed because over time, the material out-gasses, and the gases can further attack itself, making it sticky, and slowly melt the coatings... (I had some older softboxes, and rain jackets stored up tight, and over time the coatings ate themselves...)

And make sure the tent is bone dry before storage, as they can mildew and smell too ripe when you next use 'em... And if you use them when you are sweaty, the salts of you can leave a residue...

Steve K

Heat can be an issue with these type of coated fabric's. I ruined a good tent by leaving it in a hot car.

Serge