PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 diy beginner questions..

chris77
21-May-2017, 08:36
hello lf community.

this is my first post on this forum. i haven't had the time to properly introduce myself yet, therefore just a few words to explain what i am doing. coming from medium format (rz67) i am about to take my first steps in large format.
i have got access to a metal workshop for another month or so, and the skills to work it, mostly aluminium in this case.
for the moment i bought the necessary parts to start building my first lf-camera. i would like to construct a camera that will be convertible into 8x10 later on, but for now i am thinking about 5x7. havent decided if it will be monorail, most likely, as i havent received the bellows yet. its a 23x23cm (inside) straight bellows of about 70cm..

i bought two fidelity deluxe holders. my main concern is the back part, and my question shows that i have no experience in the field yet.

where does the groundglass go, when the film holder is inserted?
i imagine that the gg is held in place (pressed tight against the back) by bent strips of metal, and that the film holder would be pushed in between?
does somebody here have construction plans? hints? what choices are there to be made?

any help is appreciated.

with very kind regards and open ears,
chris

David Karp
21-May-2017, 09:45
This series of posts might help: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117915-Just-made-an-8x10-back-Now-I-need-spring-shackles-and-glass

chris77
21-May-2017, 10:31
thanks a lot. i tried to use the search function, but it didnt really work out. interesting link.

dasBlute
21-May-2017, 11:05
The search on this site has never been great, however, try this:

google: "some text" site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info
google: 5x7 diy site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info
etc

Jim Jones
21-May-2017, 15:34
Here are one person's ideas on building a LF camera: https://jongrepstad.com/building-a-large-format-camera/. The most critical dimension is the distance between the ground glass and the back of the camera that it mates against. This must equal the corresponding distance in the film holder.

chris77
21-May-2017, 21:41
Here are one person's ideas on building a LF camera: https://jongrepstad.com/building-a-large-format-camera/. The most critical dimension is the distance between the ground glass and the back of the camera that it mates against. This must equal the corresponding distance in the film holder.
thank you. i just found this page yesterday. great, as there are photographs of metal cameras too.
about the back construction, especially the groundglass holder.. guess i will have to measure this as precisely as i can and do some test exposures using a ruler to fine tune.

Sean Mac
22-May-2017, 10:58
Hi,

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?124597-11x14-camera-build-attempt-Questions

Pali K did a great job with this one I think.

A little bigger than 5x7 but that makes the pictures easier to understand.:)

Good luck...

Steven Tribe
22-May-2017, 14:16
hello lf community.

.........i would like to construct a camera that will be convertible into 8x10 later on, but for now i am thinking about 5x7. havent decided if it will be monorail, most likely, as i havent received the bellows yet. its a 23x23cm (inside) straight bellows of about 70cm..

chris

Monorail - not a good idea! Making stable/adjustable mounts will take a lot more work than the camera!

The standard modern solution of using different formats is to have identical sized loose backs, each with its own GG/and mount for film holders. The mahogany camera era used insert adapter pieces.

The square bellows suggests you are planning a tailboard camera?

chris77
22-May-2017, 23:16
Hi,

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?124597-11x14-camera-build-attempt-Questions

Pali K did a great job with this one I think.

A little bigger than 5x7 but that makes the pictures easier to understand.:)

Good luck...

thank you. i am very happy to get so much response, good advice and helpful comments.
the link you posted is massive and really useful.
its gotta take me some time to read through carefully.
kind regards, chris

Bill_1856
23-May-2017, 08:45
I'd start by buying a standard 5x7 camera and us it for 6 months before building your own. There are lots of Eastman Kodak 2D camera available as a good place to start.

Jim Jones
23-May-2017, 12:25
Perhaps more plentiful and less expensive than a 2D is a Burke & James. It isn't as classy, but for anyone who prefers looking at photographs than the tools that make them, the B&J is just as productive. A 5x7 B&J was my main LF camera for decades.

chris77
24-May-2017, 01:06
Monorail - not a good idea! Making stable/adjustable mounts will take a lot more work than the camera!

The standard modern solution of using different formats is to have identical sized loose backs, each with its own GG/and mount for film holders. The mahogany camera era used insert adapter pieces.

The square bellows suggests you are planning a tailboard camera?

hello steven. I will construct a monorail camera. making the mounts is not a big issue for me. i am not looking for a certain aesthetic at the moment. solid and leightweight is what i aim for. the square bellows was cheap and its big enough to go 8x10 one day. thats why i bought it.

chris77
24-May-2017, 01:10
@bill and jim
Thanks for your comments. i have gathered all the material I need to construct a camera, so I will not stop now and buy something else to try out. your advice sounds reasonable though.

Sean Mac
24-May-2017, 18:58
Hi,

If you are determined to build your own camera there is the option of using a complete camera back and ground glass assembly from camera makers like Sinar, Plaubel or Arca Swiss.

I see suitable components on Ebay frequently.

It solves a lot of the difficult issues very quickly and easily.

The last page of this section of the forum has a build thread from jb7 that has sadly lost its images.

It was a very successful looking 8x10 build using a Cambo SC back.

Perhaps if he sees this post he might be able to restore the images.

Good luck..

chris77
25-Jun-2017, 00:45
hello. just a short update.
the bellows i had bought was full of pinholes, the shutter was a bit too vintage (1930s from russia, not only impressed me with its noise but also made my hand shake when firing..)... so... i didnt have enough time as well and stumbled across a pentacon panorama 2 in great shape and got it for a good price.

so, as some ppl here have suggested, i will take my first steps in lf photography with a professional camer. its a solid beast, love it already. being used to hiking with a full mamiya rz67 outfit its a very homy feeling. i got a set of lenses and am only waiting for the delivery of film (foma100)..

will post here again when im back in the metal workshop pursuing my own build..

cheers from france!
chris

Sean Mac
25-Jun-2017, 18:53
I think you made a wise choice.

There is a " Show off your Large Format camera!" thread if you would like to post a picture.

East German cameras are rare outside Europe.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

:)