PDA

View Full Version : fraud on paypal

Herb Cunningham
23-Jun-2005, 15:00
I got two notices that began: Dear Paypal user ... and then said they would require a debit card for security and to link up and give them that info. I don't think most would fall for that, just a warning--IT IS FRAUD- paypal will always address you by your name.

Hope this does not offend any LFers.

Darin Cozine
23-Jun-2005, 15:09
Dont forget that paypal and ebay will NEVER email you a request for verifacation info.

Jorge Gasteazoro
23-Jun-2005, 15:18
...and if they want information, they usually beguin the e mail with your name. Although this is not guaranteed the e mail is real, at least is another thing to look for.

I get at least 2 or 3 of these a week. In the past I would go into the web site and fill all the fields with insults and curses and false CC numbers, but they have wised up and the fake sites wont accept false CC numbers anymore. Just erase them or block them and dont worry about them.

jonathan smith
23-Jun-2005, 15:47
for what it's worth, forward the entire e-mail to "spoof@paypal.com" or "spoof@ebay.com" and they will take note of it. I'm not saying they will catch somebody, but maybe they are making lists of machines that are hosting these people.

paulr
23-Jun-2005, 23:13
"in the past I would go into the web site and fill all the fields with insults and curses and false CC numbers ..."

I did this once when i was annoyed by a clever looking piece of spam asking for personal information. About 2 months later i got a letter from my bank, politely explaining that all the notices they sent me at f**kyouyouf**kingspammersgoto@hell.com were bouncing for some reason.

Jorge Gasteazoro
23-Jun-2005, 23:17
LOL......men Paul, talk about bad luck! In my case I knew they were false e mails since they were going to my hotmail address, not my private address which I rarely give out.....

CXC
24-Jun-2005, 10:06
I get fraudulent paypal emails even though I don't have a paypal account. Beat that.

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Jun-2005, 10:09
I get fake e mails for banks I dont have an account on sent to my public e mail which is not used in any of my accounts....beat that... :-)

Doug Herta
24-Jun-2005, 12:33
I got $200 charged to my credit card for a paypal payment when I wasn't even a member. I reported the fraud to my credit card company and tried to report it to paypal. I was unable to contact paypal - because I was not registered as one of their members! Hopefully they have figured out how to speak to folks who are being defrauded though their service.

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Jun-2005, 12:41
Yeah, Pay Pal has some of the worst customer service I have ever seen, unfortunatelly they are the only game in town for quick payments. Bid Pay takes forever to send the MO, and the other services that are cropping up are either not well known with few members or are charging outrageous fees in Euros.

If anybody here has a better alternative I for one would love to hear it, between E bay and Pay Pal fees, both of which are owned by the same company, I have found out I am paying an average of 12% per sale, way too much!

Glenn Thoreson
24-Jun-2005, 22:22
It's called "phishing". That's a spammer's term for trying to catch suckers. NO bank, or other finacial institution, credit card company, etc will ever ask for personal information via email. Period. If you get any such requests, report them if possible, then delete them immediately. DO NOT EVER click on any links provided in these things, and please don't provide any information of any kind. Peace be with you ------------

kreig
26-Jun-2005, 11:53
Paypal, sucks, always a problem to deal with. All problems with paypal are always in their favor, never yours, and there is no customer service. I wont use paypal and never will!! I think they are just as bad the phishers . . . . . . . . . in fact I have lost more money to paypal . . . . . .