PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 8x10 - Tripod Head?

Pawlowski6132
9-Apr-2017, 10:19
So, just picked up a Calumet 8x10. It's much heavier than I thought it would be (19# w/o lens).

No match for my Manfrotto 405 geared head which is rated at 11#.

I used to have Majestic heads in the past but, I don't think they will mate with my bogen/manfrotto tripods.

I would like, obviously to have a geared head but, even the Manfrotto 410 is only rated at around 16#.

What am I missing out there??

asf
9-Apr-2017, 10:45
Manfrotto 400

There are some models of Majestic that work with "regular" 3/8" screw tripods, others can be adapted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Shiu
9-Apr-2017, 10:48
Which Calumet is it? A monorail Cambo or C1 flatbed? I believe Majestic does have a mounting cylinder available with 3/8 thread on the bottom, don't know how stable that would be.

Jon

asf
9-Apr-2017, 10:49
Before anyone suggests it an Arca Cube will not be sufficient

Len Middleton
9-Apr-2017, 10:49
I had a green monster version of the Calumet 8x10, and my conventional Linhof pan tilt head on the twin shank Linhof tripod seemed it was not stiff enough to prevent it from vibrating when walking in the living room, so needed to go to something stiffer and with less distance between the camera and tripod (i.e. lower profile).

I went to a Linhof Kardan head which works on the same principle as the Reis Planohead. Other options would be the heavy duty Gitzo low profile heads.

Linhof Kardan head I currently use for the Deardorff V8, and Korona 8x20 Panoramic View: 163681

Hope that helps,

Len

Pawlowski6132
9-Apr-2017, 10:56
Whoa! the Man 400 looks awesome but is $upper.

Manfrotto 400

There are some models of Majestic that work with "regular" 3/8" screw tripods, others can be adapted

asf
9-Apr-2017, 10:57
Also Saltzmann made very strong geared heads (I believe only geared in one direction like the Majestic and very large)

If you want gearing in more than one axis the 400 may be your only choice

Pawlowski6132
9-Apr-2017, 10:57
Hi Jon. It's of the C1 variety.

Pawlowski6132
9-Apr-2017, 10:58
Thanx Len. Never would have thought about Linhof. That setup looks good. Thanx!

asf
9-Apr-2017, 10:58
Whoa! the Man 400 looks awesome but is $upper.

New they are ridiculously expensive but there are good deals on used ones out there

asf
9-Apr-2017, 11:00
Thanx Len. Never would have thought about Linhof. That setup looks good. Thanx!

That Linhof is fantastic but it can only tilt in one direction, you'd need 2 for a C1

asf
9-Apr-2017, 11:02
If you can do without gears there are many more options including the original gitzo 1570 (not the newer M version)

Jon Shiu
9-Apr-2017, 11:16
Re: Calumet C1, on the green one I had there is a small oval section in the middle of the base that is raised up. This makes it kind of unstable unless the tripod head is around 6 inches or larger and provides support to the outer frame of the base. Some people have compensated by mounting a metal plate to the camera base so that they can use smaller tripod heads.

Jon

tgtaylor
9-Apr-2017, 12:00
I use an Arca-Swiss z1-sp with 80mm universal plate mounted on a Gitzo G1348 (no center column) for my Toyo 810 MII (15#). This is a very stable set-up - especially since I added the Toyo anti-twist plate - that I have used in a variety of weather conditions even from an open bluff with gale force winds with the 610mm lens. A large wind-proof golf umbrella was used to block the wind.

For the Toyo 810-G I use a Gitzo G1500 tripod with G1570-M head using 2 mounting clamps instead of one. Before I got the 1500 I used the 1348 but it is not as stable with the G as with the MII.

Thomas

AuditorOne
9-Apr-2017, 14:38
The only head I could find that provided the necessary stability for my Calumet/Cambo 8x10 monorail was a Majestic 1007 geared head with a 4.5 inch round table and 3/8" tripod mount. It fits perfectly on my Gitzo Sytematic GT3541XLS. I bought mine from BHPhoto a few years back but they do not appear to stock it any longer.

If you can find one you will be well pleased since I haven't found a camera it doesn't handle. It has a 35 pound capacity and doesn't even shudder even when I have my Deardorff V8 fully extended. I haven't tried using it in gale force winds (the tripod assembly may not notice it but I certainly do). The tripod, geared head and camera are a bugger to carry very far, but once you get there you will almost certainly get a vibration free exposure. :)

Michael Kadillak
9-Apr-2017, 15:35
I have used three tripod heads under varying conditions with my black Calumet C1. Using long lenses (24" or 30") or when there are breezy conditions I go with the A250 head on my Ries A100 tripod or the 1200 head on my majestic tripod both of which have 6x6" platform with a 3/8" tripod make up screw. On occasion when things are calm and I am using a 19" lens or smaller, I have gotten away with using my Bogen 475B tripod with the quick release plate of the 3039 head cognizant of the fact that the contact area between camera and quick release plate is small and susceptible to lateral movement.

Mark Sampson
9-Apr-2017, 19:08
The C1 I used when I worked at Kodak lived on top of a Quick-Set 'Samson' tripod. I doubt if Q-S is still in business but that setup worked well. A Saltzman tripod would be very sturdy (I have one) but then you'll need an assistant to carry it.

B.S.Kumar
10-Apr-2017, 00:16
No match for my Manfrotto 405 geared head which is rated at 11#.

I would like, obviously to have a geared head but, even the Manfrotto 410 is only rated at around 16#.

Small error there - the 410 is the lower end model rated at 11 pounds, and the 405 for 16 pounds. The 400 is rated for 22 pounds, so it would just about fill your needs. But if you plan to use a heavy lens, it will be at its limit.

Kumar

Mkillmer
10-Apr-2017, 03:47
I use a manfrotto 400 head with my C-1. I've never had a problem, regardless of the lens, but I only use it in the studio because of the weight!!
For outdoors I have a heavy duty 3 axis manfrotto #160 head with a hex plate. It is sufficient but not nearly as nice as the 400.

Pawlowski6132
10-Apr-2017, 09:56
Yup good catch!

Small error there - the 410 is the lower end model rated at 11 pounds, and the 405 for 16 pounds. The 400 is rated for 22 pounds, so it would just about fill your needs. But if you plan to use a heavy lens, it will be at its limit.

Kumar

Pawlowski6132
10-Apr-2017, 10:00
Has anyone seen one of these before?

asf
10-Apr-2017, 10:06
If it's in good shape it's a very strong head

cowanw
10-Apr-2017, 11:59
that is a Foba alfae tripod. Many Gitzo Accessories fit. It is heavy and will definitely do the job. The head is a Rationelle Gitzo #4. It holds 17.6 pounds. The #5 holds 22 pounds.

asf
10-Apr-2017, 12:09
Are you sure that's an Alfae? Looks like an old Gitzo 509 to me

cowanw
10-Apr-2017, 12:28
Yep, could be from Google pictures. and here is the blow up
https://www.gitzospares.com/g509-parts.html

asf
10-Apr-2017, 12:42
Gitzo made the Alfae tripod for Foba, that's why most parts fit

I'm saying I believe the tripod in the photo is a Gitzo G509, not just the geared column is a gitzo accessory on a Foba tripod

I've used the G509 since the early 90's and am looking at one next to me right now, it's the same as the one pictured above
I used an Alfae once in the late 90's, don't remember it that well but the leg extensions were done differently than the Gitzo (it worked with the Foba CombiTube system and you had to screw in same diameter tubes rather than extend telescoping leg segments)

cowanw
10-Apr-2017, 13:30
I did mean to say you were correct. However, for posterities reference, my Foba has the same legs as this tripod.

asf
10-Apr-2017, 13:32
Interesting, yours has the telescoping legs (beyond the first extension)?

cowanw
10-Apr-2017, 13:40
Yes like the photo here with two tripods
http://products.hasselbladbron.com/s.nl/it.A/id.455/.f

asf
10-Apr-2017, 13:46
I see, nice, triple extension telescoping

The g509 has 5 extensions (2 extra leg sections)

Len Middleton
10-Apr-2017, 14:24
That Linhof is fantastic but it can only tilt in one direction, you'd need 2 for a C1

Could you please clarify, as I found it useful on my Deardorff V8 and Korona 8x20, but did not have it when I had the C1.

Are you suggesting that it is needed for leveling, or?

Thanks for any additional insight.

asf
10-Apr-2017, 14:32
Yes for leveling

One can always level with the tripod instead but it's generally more convenient with a flatbed to have a 2 or 3 way head

The Linhof rail cameras that match that head have round rails and can be leveled at the rail clamp.

cowanw
10-Apr-2017, 16:44
I see, nice, triple extension telescoping
The g509 has 5 extensions (2 extra leg sections)

Well seen!

Ries Tripod
16-Apr-2017, 09:19
The A250-2 will More than support your Calumet.

Eric Leppanen
16-Apr-2017, 10:35
I have recently been using a KPS T5D as a geared replacement for my Arca Swiss B1. So far it has been working well, although I have not put it through its paces with very heavy cameras (these days the largest format I shoot is 5x7). It's spec'd load capacity is 88 pounds. I preferred the KPS to the Arca cube due to its fully enclosed design (didn't want to deal with grit getting into the Cube). I have the screw knob version but they have a clamped version as well. The KPS is expensive but less so than the Cube.

https://www.legiophoto.com/products/kps-t5dv-geared-ball-head-with-lever-quick-release

Here are a couple reviews from the web, albeit with much lighter cameras:

https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/the-kps-t5-geared-ballhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/
http://www.ironcreekphotographyblog.com/2016/01/the-kps-t5-geared-ballhead.html

The ball diameter is smaller than that of the Arca B1, so I'm not sure how stable it would be with your Calumet. The dealer apparently has a loaner unit available in case you would like to test it:

https://www.legiophoto.com/pages/product-trial-program

Taija71A
17-Apr-2017, 08:15
... I would like, obviously to have a geared head but...

Look for a used Cambo SCH 3-D Gearhead.
--
It will 'Easily' support your Calumet 8x10 Camera and is...
Also, definitely compatible -- With your Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod (3/8" Camera Mount).

-Tim.

Robert Opheim
17-Apr-2017, 11:12
I have a black calumet c-1 that I use in the field. It's around 18 pounds and I have two lenses in #3 shutters. It is heavier that other cameras - but only by a couple of pound more that a Kodak Masterview. I use a Gitzo PL5 head on Gitzo series 4 giant legs. Ok its a heavy rig to move around. You can spend thousands of dollars more to reduce the weight by only a few pounds. I used an old wood camera for quite a while - but it moved too easy in the field (wind) - creating camera movement on the negatives. The C-1 on an appropriate tripod is steady and sturdy. I don't pack it in very far - if I have to pack it in I use my 4x5.

Pawlowski6132
26-Jul-2017, 20:03
So, I ended up getting the Manfrotto 400 and a Majestic.

For those who haven't seen the Manfrotto in-person, it's super impressive.