PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC area LF users?

Scott Davis
14-Jun-2005, 10:51
Does anyone know if there is an active Washington DC area large format users group? If there isn't, would there be some folks interested in coming together to start one?

Sammy_4293
14-Jun-2005, 13:24
Davis,

There was one listed LF homepage, but I don't think it is active now since Gregory Black's email no longer works.

Jim_3565
14-Jun-2005, 19:56
I'm game. Any time, any place within a 50 mile radius of the Ellispse. I live in Gaithersburg.

Steven Buczkowski
15-Jun-2005, 07:57
I'm still low on the LF learning curve, but I will be relocating to Columbia, MD in a couple weeks. I'd be happy to head out with people for an excursion, or two.

Steven

Julio Barros
15-Jun-2005, 09:07
I'm new to LF but am interested in getting together and learning from each other. I would be happy to help organize a meeting or excursion. I live in Arlington, VA.

Julio

Jim_3565
15-Jun-2005, 10:03
I'm planning to go out this Saturday with my view cameras. Anyone is welcome to come along.

Scott Davis
15-Jun-2005, 10:33
Jim- I'd love to join you this weekend but I know I have work to do on the house on Saturday. Where are you planning to go, and at what time of day?

This weekend may also be either another scorcher or rather rainy. Perhaps we could plan sometime in the next couple weeks a get-together for people to share prints and talk about their gear and interests.

What day(s) of the week are good for people? Most weekday evenings work for me. What locations would work for folks - in DC, a Maryland suburb, or a Virginia suburb? I can probably find us meeting space in downtown DC, or out in Bethesda. Both locations would be (relatively) convenient to Metro and/or other public transportation. After we all get to meet and greet, we could plan an outing.

Jim_3565
15-Jun-2005, 12:04
Scott:

Actually, this weekend is forecast to be mid 70's with plenty of sun and low humidity. Of course, around here I believe that when I see it.

I was thinking of either going down to the Franciscan monastery at 14th and Quincy in Northeast, or to the Tschiffely Mill ruin near Riley's Lock on the C&O NHP towpath. The former has the advantage of a robust air conditioner in case of oppressive heat, and the latter the advantage of being about 10 minutes drive from my house. I was thinking early afternoon (since you have to be out of the monastery by about 4:45 on Saturday).

On the other hand, I'm always looking for new places around here. What are some of your favorite haunts? I'm a half hour from Bethesda, 45 minutes from downtown DC.

Sammy_4293
15-Jun-2005, 12:53
Could you please post your plan so I can join you?

Jim_3565
15-Jun-2005, 14:08
Sure. For now let's make it the monastery grotto at 1:00 PM Saturday, but let's be flexible. 1400 Quincy St. NE, Washington, DC. Need directions? It's about 2 minutes drive from the Basilica of the National Shrine. Email me if you've never been there.

Scott Davis
15-Jun-2005, 14:15
I wish I could join y'all this Saturday. Let me know how it goes and we can plan another date/time/location. If folks don't mind a bit of driving, perhaps in a week or two we could do some stuff along the C&O Canal - I've got several spots that are worth visiting. Swain's Lock up in Potomac is a good entry point, or the Monocacy River Viaduct (newly re-opened after a multi-year restoration), and the Maryland side of Great Falls also has some interesting ruins of the old Gold Mine.

Jim_3565
15-Jun-2005, 15:07
There's always the Catoctins, too.

Where, precisely are these old Gold Mine ruins? (i.e. near which mile marker or Lock Number?)

Scott Davis
16-Jun-2005, 11:01
The mines are on a trail that starts by the Great Falls Tavern. Reading up on it there isn't a whole lot left, but there are some collapsed mine buildings that might be interesting. Heck, just a hike through the park could be worth an afternoon, as I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.

Jim_3565
18-Jun-2005, 08:37
I stopped there on my way home from work yesterday. Couldn't see much, especially since the mines and water tanks are fenced off.

I've got a lot of better places along the towpath. If we want to do the towpath, let's start at the Old Angler's Inn and hike to Great Falls Tavern. Better still, half the group park at the main lot, half at the other parking lot and meet in the middle. Then we'd have cars at both ends to give collapsing photographers rides back to their cars.

Scott Davis
18-Jun-2005, 11:37
Jim- sounds like a plan - want to aim for next weekend, say Saturday morning bright and early?

Jim_3565
18-Jun-2005, 17:15
Ok, I'll inform my household minion. How early is 'bright and early'? 8? 9?

I went down to the monastery today and made 4 nice 8 x 10 negatives in the garden and grotto. The place is just lousy with flowers. I think I'll go back tomorrow afternoon and work inside with the 4 x 5.

Scott Davis
18-Jun-2005, 20:07
wanna say 8:30, by the Great Falls Tavern?

Jim_3565
19-Jun-2005, 12:01
cya there.

tjhaefner
25-Jul-2006, 08:39
Any late developments on a DC area LF group? I'm a newbie from the digital side and want to learn.

Jack

jshanesy
26-Jul-2006, 14:51
Any late developments on a DC area LF group?

More than a year's worth but it's all over on APUG. Community\Regional Groups\MidAtlantic (http://www.apug.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191). Since there haven't been any posts for more than 7 days you'll have to do a little digging, but the group was active this past weekend. They went to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens and to the National Arboretum.

tjhaefner
26-Jul-2006, 17:22
More than a year's worth but it's all over on APUG. Community\Regional Groups\MidAtlantic (http://www.apug.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191). Since there haven't been any posts for more than 7 days you'll have to do a little digging, but the group was active this past weekend. They went to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens and to the National Arboretum.

Thanks!