PDA

View Full Version : U strap for Thomas Duplex safelight

Fred L
19-Mar-2017, 17:39
Just got a Thomas Duplex safelight and it seems I'm missing the U strap that supports one end of the SOX bulb. I installed the bulb just to see how it hangs and it *looks* ok but I don't want to have an issue down the road where the bulb stresses the socket, cuz the bulb is not exactly light.

So, does anyone have a photo of the strap they can share so I can figure out an alternative ? A description would probably do as well.

thanks all

Leigh
19-Mar-2017, 20:06
The installation instructions say:
"The free end of the lamp is then supported by the U-shaped support strap which hooks into the corresponding two holes on the top of the inside of the housing."

Google found several photos of the assembled unit.
One had a flat piece of metal supporting the bulb.
The word "strap" in the instructions suggests this is the proper item.

Another had a round wire. I doubt the specifics matter much.

My Thomas is hanging from the ceiling. It would be difficult to lower and examine it.

- Leigh

Fred L
20-Mar-2017, 05:31
thanks Leigh. I Googled but must have missed that photo. I was thinking more pipe strap vs wire as I wasn't sure if wire could lead to stress when the lamp is heated up. iIll look again and yeah, I wouldn't want to be going up on a ladder and pulling mine down too often ;)

edit- ok, just found the photo and it looks like rather heavy gauge wire. makes sense since there are two holes in the body but wasn't sure if those were for the wire or strap attachment bolts

Leigh
20-Mar-2017, 05:44
Hi Fred,

The lamp doesn't get particularly hot. It's only rated 35 watts.

So I'm not concerned about thermal stress to the glass envelope.

The Google search I used was: "thomas duplex lamp installation" without the quotes.
There are numerous extraneous images, but both types of hangers are shown.

- Leigh

Fred L
20-Mar-2017, 05:57
ah, I just googled thomas duplex safelight or u strap. wire seems like the easiest solution. cheers !

HMG
20-Mar-2017, 08:15
I was curious for future reference. Using Leigh's search terms, I found this (http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/safe-light-once-owned-by-flash-gordon.130077/print). Don't know if this is the same image, but seems to show the wire support.

Fred L
20-Mar-2017, 09:09
and this pic from another APUG post

Leigh
20-Mar-2017, 12:22
I was curious for future reference. Using Leigh's search terms, I found this (http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/safe-light-once-owned-by-flash-gordon.130077/print). Don't know if this is the same image, but seems to show the wire support.
Yes, that's the one I was referring to.

- Leigh

Duolab123
20-Mar-2017, 21:23
The straps are really soft pliable metal. It's only there to keep the weight of the lamp from breaking the phenolic socket. Any strapping will work . Each strap end goes into a slot and you just bend the end of the strap to hold in place. Tin snips and some light metal strapping from the hardware store will do the job
Mike
Best safelight ever made.

jk0592
21-Mar-2017, 07:21
I have used some metal strapping used to hold hot air ducts for home furnaces to hold the long bulb. Found it at a home hardware store. I cut it to length, including folds to get to the empty slots of original strap.

Fred L
21-Mar-2017, 07:49
so it seems Thomas Duplex safelights are very popular here ;)

Leigh
21-Mar-2017, 08:28
Yep.

Best thing since sliced film. :cool:

- Leigh

Duolab123
21-Mar-2017, 09:07

They are so bright you almost need a dark cloth to focus . The emission lines of low pressure sodium vapor lamps fall outside of paper spectral response . Absolutely the only way to go . Even with vanes closed and color filters in place if you wait 5 minutes for your eyes to adjust you can see what you are doing . With black and white you can read a newspaper .
Best Mike