PDA

View Full Version : Legs For A Camera Bag?

Drew Bedo
16-Mar-2017, 13:59
As I gety older the desire and ability to bend, stoop and squat declines exponentially.

This morning I had a coffeer fueled idea to put legs on a camera bag. By squeezing my eyes tightly shut and breathing deeply, I thought about rigging up something from sections of PVC pipe and fittings. The leg sections would come apart and self-assemble with bungee cord.

Does not have to be really tall . . .only waist high or a little lower.

A refined model would involve a bag or pack designed and built for the legs. The legs would be CF sections repurposed from mono-pod designs.

Another variation would be an after-market add-on for Pelican hard cases, much like the pulling handle is an add-on to the wheeled models . . .or the after market backpack straps.

Am I nuts?

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2017, 14:16
Begin by Googling 'tripod camping chair'.

lab black
16-Mar-2017, 17:01
When working out of either a medium camera bag or backpack, in order raise them up from ground level, I have had success using a Coleman Rambler camping stool.

http://www.coleman.com/rambler-ii-stool/2000020261.html?cgid=coleman-furniture-chairs#pmax=25&pmin=0&start=7

stawastawa
16-Mar-2017, 22:43
Reminds me of The Trunk Bucket, maybe you could add some legs to this sides to telescope out. Or have two nested buckets and sit on one while you work our of the main bucket.
n

The Trunk Bucket - [by]David Bardes

162669One of the aspects of photography that I really enjoy is the DIY projects. DIY projects are still part of the game, even with the advent of digital image capture and a thousand gizmos that are available at your favorite photography emporium. A quick project for a rainy afternoon is the creation of the Trunk Bucket. I was inspired by a recent outing shooting large format with the camera set too low to bend over, and nothing but mud and gravel to kneel in.

A Trunk Bucket is a place to store your infrequently used but important photography supplies that can weigh down your camera bag. And it doubles as a seat or stool when you need to change your viewing elevation. Contractors have been improvising with 5 gallon buckets for quite a while, so a stop at Lowe's or Home Depot is all you need to get the basics.

The bare minimum configuration is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. The challenge is that the lid is stubborn to remove without some leverage. Bucket lids that are designed to double as seats don't have that tight fit and can be easily removed. There are also dividers that drop into the bucket. I was going to try to fabricate some dividers, but for a few dollars one can have the work done for you. I purchased the bucket and divider/tray at Team Blue (Lowe's) and the seat/lid at Team Orange (Home Depot). Total cost was under $15.

Bucket List
Here are a few items you might consider to place inside:
A change bag and a few boxes to place exposed film in
Heavy duty lens/body/sensor cleaning supplies: canned air, sensor cleaning fluid, lens cloths etc.
A spare light meter
A heavy duty garbage bag
Several gallon sized re-sealable plastic bags
A terrycloth towel
Extra batteries
A couple sheets of black wrap
A Sharpie, pen and note pad
Focusing board/gray card
Clamp mount, mini tripod or a small sand bag.
Knee pads or garden kneeling pad
Gaffer's tape
Multi tool
Flashlight
Bungee cords and several clothes pins
50 ft. of Paracord (Hey, if it's good enough for Baer Grylls, then it's good enough for me!)

Assemble your items, and place them in the bucket. Put the lid on and place the bucket in your trunk. Now whenever you are shooting, regardless of which camera you are using, those supplies will be handy!

editor's Note: that bucket can come in real handy - with the addition of a purchased seat from a river outfit supplier and insert disposable bag, it becomes a great porta-potty! We used these on several week-long raft trips in Utah. Nothing like sitting by the river.

Bob Mann
17-Mar-2017, 02:08
Why not consider a stroller - bag is at waist height and you don't have to carry it.

Drew Bedo
17-Mar-2017, 06:18
Stool, Stroller, Bucket . . .so far the consensus seems to be anything but legs on a bag.

Have I read that right?

Luis-F-S
17-Mar-2017, 09:58
I use a small table. L

Pfsor
17-Mar-2017, 10:50
Stool, Stroller, Bucket . . .so far the consensus seems to be anything but legs on a bag.

Have I read that right?

How about putting the bag on a hook attached to your tripod? Like that you don't need another set of legs.

Drew Bedo
17-Mar-2017, 11:54
How about putting the bag on a hook attached to your tripod? Like that you don't need another set of legs.

You bring up a good p;oint about extra legs and weight.

I have done just that at times: Does not eliminate bending, stooping and squatting.

Vaughn
17-Mar-2017, 12:54
I have seen several photos of a photographer names JB Harlin (I do not feel comfortable posting someone else's images http://www.jbhphoto.com/ ). He hangs his camera pack on his Ries just under the 8x10. It looks to rest against two of the legs. No squatting seems to be needed to access the pack.

It probably would have been good for me to do also this past two weeks in the desert. Keeping the pack off the ground would have kept things cleaner. I will need a couple days to go through and clean all the desert dust out of my stuff.

I did break a leg on a Gitzo tripod this way, though (Studex, aluminum), back in 1984, I think. I used it to keep two packbacks off the ground at night (and away from rodents) during a week hike in the Grand Canyon with a friend. The leg cracked at a weak point where the threads of the leg adjusters thin the amount of metal left from cutting the threads. Still usable for the rest of the backpack trip, but I had to be set up the 4x5 lower than was comfortable! I was eventually sent a new (free) leg and they tossed in a set of bushings for all the leg tighteners.

Michael Clark
17-Mar-2017, 18:19
With a bucket your able to stand on it, if camera is high, but don't think it would be easy carrying it around with all the other gear.

Drew Bedo
18-Mar-2017, 06:31
Vaughn: Thanks for a positive, real-world example.

I would point out that JB looks to be in his physical prime and fit. I am not. I am sure that hanging the pack off the tripod works well folr him. Bruce's videos from his PhotoBacker days showed much the same thing. In either case, the photographer must at times bend at the waist and/or knees to access equipment. I avoid doing that. I admire and envy their ability to get that gear out to the back country and do the work they do. This is not a quibble over technique or working style.

The genesis for the camera-bag-with-legs concept came while watching a landscape artist painting "en pleinair" (pardon my bad French) —that is working with a portable easel outdoors. All supplies were contained in a wooden case. The case stood on self-storing collapsible legs and the easel folded up from the case. When done, everythiong folded into an easily hand carried wooden case. Later at Hobby Lobby, I saw similar painter's cases up close and imagined a camera case with similarly designed folding legs. At a camera club meeting, someone showed a vintage Wisner case made from fine woods with a fitted interior. Looking like fine furnature, it is too nice to take anywhere, but that really got me thinking about the artist's easel concept again.

My crrent 4x5 kit travels in an older LowePro "Magnum-35" shoulder bag that weighs as much as 25 p;ounds if I bring everything. I am always looking for a waist-high rock or stump to set it on. I would trade out the weight of selected items for folur carbon fiber legs . In a purpose built bag a set of sleeves sewed onto each corner would be a simple solution for holding monopod like legs or some DIY combination of PVC plumbing parts and elastic cords.

Drew Bedo
18-Mar-2017, 06:57
Sorry about the long posts . . .my wife just doesn't want to hear it.

Graham Patterson
18-Mar-2017, 08:39
Second tripod (without a head) with an 'X' or '+' platform on the top? It seems to me that to get something like 3'/1m high with legs that fit inside the pack would be difficult mechanically (too many sections). I also think four legs will not be stable in the field, while three adjustable ones should be. The platform arms could swivel to make it more compact. I would anticipate strapping it to the bag for transport.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Mar-2017, 09:42
Something like this but with aluminum legs.

chassis
18-Mar-2017, 11:25
Agree with the second tripod idea. I have a cheapo tripod that would serve well in this role. Fully extended with the bag hanging on the tripod head, I don't envision stooping or squatting.

For transportation, the second tripod could be lashed to the outside of the camera bag, along with the primary (camera) tripod.

Vaughn
18-Mar-2017, 11:39
Drew, if you do facebook, he and his wife just posted a recent image -- he's no spring chicken!

But with 4x5 and 5x7, I can carry the camera on the tripod (older Gitzo Reporter performance and a Bogan 3-way head) over my shoulder, and work out of a shoulder bag -- nothing to set down. One lens, perhaps 5 holders and light meter. I watched Richard Misrach work his 8x10 this way, but that is a bit beyond me and my present 8x10 equipment weight (and my age!)

Drew Bedo
18-Mar-2017, 11:51
We don't have FacedBook. Anyway, agealolne isn't the issue. It is the ability to bend and squat; issues with lumbar disks and hips that need new hardware. In some ways, my 92 year-old mother-in-law is in better shape than me in hearing and eyesight. Working over the shoulders is not an option for me anymore. BTW, I have seen video of Ansal Adams working that way withheavy looking wooden tripod and an 8cx10( master view?)

A second tripod could be aviable start. I am always running across cheap aluminum tripods in thrift stores. Usually without a QR plate. Just the legs to hang the bagh on might work out.

I usually shoot within sight of the car and hauling the gear around on a set of folding luggage wheels (a flimsy little dolly) . . .so another tripod might not be too much extra weight.

Now while all these practical work-arounds are well meant I guess that like my wife, no one has been grabbed by my vision. If I can put something together I will revisite this thread with pictures.

Thank you everyone .

Vaughn
18-Mar-2017, 15:06
Some of these would be lighter than another tripod.

https://jet.com/product/detail/f63f56e026fb4e7e94e097f17e58a340?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_dur_gen_furniture_a2:tables_folding_tables_a2_other:na:PLA_697491351_37326782598_pla-161665739820:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&gclid=CIag2baH4dICFQaewAodQ5cEog

http://www.kmart.com/northwest-territory-portable-fold-up-table/p-089W006955660001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&gclid=CJmLs8yH4dICFQgcaQod-R8AWA&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81840?feat=500192-plalander

Maris Rusis
18-Mar-2017, 15:52
How about a Manfrotto 458B NeoTec Pro tripod fixed to a rigid bottom camera bag? The easy leg extension feature makes for a quick support set-up ... in theory.

Phil_F_NM
18-Mar-2017, 17:53
I'm Phil, I'm new to the forum but have been a lurker for a few months.
Anyway, I've been involved with the cycling industry for several decades and recently have been concentrating on cycling for transport.
Look up "decaleur" for handlebar bags and supports for seat mounted true saddle bags like the spring steel supports by Bagman.
This is a relatively easy and creative problem to tackle, where it gets difficult is light weight. That said, I'd fashion up a folding shelf out of a 3 1/2" door hinge and an aluminum plate which is 75% the area of your bag. Make a stop on the bottom of the hinge to stay the movement against to the leg of the tripod. For heavier weight you could use two of the tripod legs.
Optimally, you could get a single piece of spring steel bent and tempered to support the bag against the tripod legs at just above waist height.
Fashion up a little clip to prevent the bag from tipping over towards you.

Hope this helps and I'll post schematics and a photo if I come up with something.

Regards to all,
Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Drew Bedo
19-Mar-2017, 08:02
Phill: Thanks. The most creative suggestion so far. The fabrication sounds simple but is a little out of my legue. Shaping and tempering spring steel and whipping up up a simple clip are not in my bag ofDIY skill sets. Yet there may actually be a viable product idea there. I have seen shelving that clips ontyo a pohotographic tripos intyended for a tablet. Lightweight sure, but much too flimsy for a 20 pound camera bag. . . .but the idea is there to exploit. With the right information though, someone could make up something for me.

The initial examples mentioned PVC pipe and fittings because cutting and glueing plastic is something that I can do.

Richard Wasserman
19-Mar-2017, 08:27
I just want to weigh in quickly here. I don't understand the desire to carry even more equipment than one does already. Why not, as I believe was suggested, simply hang your bag from a hook under the tripod head. I have done this 100's, probably 1000's of times and it is easy and adds mass to the tripod which I think is beneficial. I make sure the bag is not swinging when I make the exposure and I have never detected an issue with doing this. KISS...

Drew Bedo
19-Mar-2017, 09:40
I just want to weigh in quickly here. I don't understand the desire to carry even more equipment than one does already. Why not, as I believe was suggested, simply hang your bag from a hook under the tripod head. I have done this 100's, probably 1000's of times and it is easy and adds mass to the tripod which I think is beneficial. I make sure the bag is not swinging when I make the exposure and I have never detected an issue with doing this. KISS...

Hi Richard: I will re-cap and re-state my thoughts from a couple of my posts on this thread.

You are 100% right . . .for maybe 98% of LF outdoors shooters the bag-on-a-tripod-hook method is probably the simplest practical thing to do. Many of them bring LF gear into the back country on extended day hikes. Some stay out for several days at a time, bringing camping equipment as well as their LF kit. I admire and envy them for their physical ability. I have a deteriorating lumbar disk problem that may not br easily resolvable. A different condition will eventually require bilateral hip replacement surgery. For these reasons I avoid stooping and bending over. Hanging the pack on a rtripod set up for a camera still leaves it low enough to require knee-hip-lumbar flexing ranging from some to significant when accessing the bag.

I can always work a scene a bit longer when the bag is set down on a waist-high boulder, stump or pic-nik table. I have seen just this sort of product made for outdoor painters and thought to bring that concept to the LF-landscape world.

At some point this year, I intend to amalgamate some of the suggestions posted here and modify a LowePro Trekker back pack probably with eith bits of PVC plumbing or sections if tent poles to support the bag horizontally at table height.

Your observations about simplicity and weight are spot-on. Wish it was something that worked for me.

Cheers.

Richard Wasserman
19-Mar-2017, 09:45
Hi Richard: I WILL RECAP AND RE-STATE A PREVIOUS POST IN THIS THREAD.

You are 100% right . . .for maybe 98% of LF outdoors shooters the bag-on-a-tripod-hook method is probably the simplest practical thing to do. Many of them bring LF gear into the back country on extended day hikes. Some stay out for several days at a time, bringing camping equipment as well as their LF kit. I admire and envy them for their physical ability. I have a deteriorating lumbar disk problem that may not br easily resolvable. A different condition will eventually require bilateral hip replacement surgery. For these reasons I avoid stooping and bending over. Hanging the pack on a rtripod set up for a camera still leaves it low enough to require knee-hip-lumbar flexing ranging from some to significant when accessing the bag.

Sorry, I don't know how I missed that. Anything you can do to make your life easier is certainly a good and desirable goal.

I can always work a scene a bit longer when the bag is set down on a waist-high boulder, stump or pic-nik table. I have seen just this sort of product made for outdoor painters and thought to bring that concept to the LF-landscape world.

At some point this year, I intend to amalgamate some of the suggestions posted here and modify a LowePro Trekker back pack eith PVC piling or sections tent poles to support the bag horizontally at table height.

Your observations about simplicity and weight are spot-on. Wish it was something that worked for me.

Cheers.

Drew Bedo
19-Mar-2017, 10:00
Found it!

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Mark-Sketchbox-Palette-Shoulder/dp/B0049UZFB6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489942643&sr=8-7&keywords=French+Easel

This is designed for painting and it is built from wood . . . but that is the general concept; a camera bag with self storing legs that hold the bag at a convenient height.

Now imagine that it is acammera case or bag with dedicated or optional CF legs that can be extended. It could be a wilderness backpack(or a Pelican type hard case.

chassis
19-Mar-2017, 10:21
I'm thinking a light stand (strobe stand). The legs are foldable and the column is adjustable in height, and will reach table height. For the table there needs to be more creative thinking applied. A flange that fits a 1/2" round lighting fitting is needed, and the flange can be screwed to an 8" (approximately) square piece of wood, which is the actual table surface. The table surface can be removed from the light stand, and stored in the shoulder bag. The light stand collapses normally and can be lashed to the outside of the shoulder bag. Badda boom.

Colin Graham
19-Mar-2017, 13:58
Neat ideal, but most modern camera bags and back packs don't have a rigid core that you could use for leg attachment points. The plein air easels are built around a plywood box, so they are structural enough for legs. Painting gear is also considerably lighter. An external frame pack could probably be modified with some ball end posts to attach legs that can be swiveled out of the way. But depending on your height, the legs would have to be pretty long to be waist-high. But maybe you could use some telescoping legs from a old tripod.

When I get to the point I can no longer carry gear on my back, an idea I've always had in mind is to make or modify something like the Bosch "Gravity Rise" saw dolly for a camera pack-

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/ocsmedia/optimized/full/Bosch_Table_Saw_Stand_Table_Saw_Attachments_Table_Saw_Stands_TS2000_(EN).png

Jac@stafford.net
19-Mar-2017, 14:55
Colin, that is very interesting! Among my workshop gear is a Bosh table saw, and unfortunately I find it deficient, however their carrier is very interesting! Thanks for that.

Drew Bedo
19-Mar-2017, 18:53
I have often thought about a modified golf bag pull cart. But I don't have the work space, tools or skills.

That idea should be a natural for Phill_F_NM though (see post #21 in this thread).

The lack of rigidity is another reason that hanging my shoulder bag on a tripod is sub-optimal. Didn't want to quibble in earlier posts. I am still thinking about PVC as a sort of exo- skeleton.

Drew Bedo
20-Mar-2017, 14:48
Peter: Check your PMs.

jim10219
25-Mar-2017, 16:27
Here's a walking stick stool. Depending on how big your camera bag is, this could work. And it's cheap!

http://https://www.macsports-store.com/Folding-Cane-Chair-Walking-Stick-with-Stool-p/cc-bl.htm?gclid=CKCT9fTm8tICFUuVfgoddU0Lig&Click=28421&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&gdfms=24BB6E2210E149D685F44913A36FD7B2&gdffi=f540bcf33b0b474ba14cc880f8e5a82e (https://www.macsports-store.com/Folding-Cane-Chair-Walking-Stick-with-Stool-p/cc-bl.htm?gclid=CKCT9fTm8tICFUuVfgoddU0Lig&Click=28421&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&gdfms=24BB6E2210E149D685F44913A36FD7B2&gdffi=f540bcf33b0b474ba14cc880f8e5a82e)

el french
25-Mar-2017, 16:35
The easy way would be to get a gym membership and use it :cool:

John Layton
26-Mar-2017, 00:20
I've often thought about designing a pack frame which would also double as a camera tripod - where the camera is already mounted on the "tripod" head...positioned just behind the users head at just above the rest of the pack with lens looking forward, so that when a location and position are reached, the user just reaches back to two flip-locks and allows two back legs to slide down by gravity until they contact the ground. Locks are then secured while the user simultaneously unclips the fasted-clip secured shoulder straps (easier than struggling out of fixed straps while trying to spin around while holding up the rig), and then turning around while holding up the camera on two legs prior to folding forward a third leg and allowing its bottom tube to drop by way of its flip lock...then securing this. So now, without bending over or even needing to put anything on the ground, the camera is in position (well, maybe some slight final adjustment would be needed), plus the pack is still attached with all the associated goodies (lenses, holders, etc.) all accessible from the back and just below the camera...not to mention that the pack also serves as a tripod weight to stabilize everything. Gotta finally make a concept drawing of this!

Sorry if the above sounds confusing...but its 3:00am and I woke up a few minutes ago (I do this with some frequency now that I'm in my 60's), and just thought I'd try to be useful/helpful before I hopefully get back to sleep!

Drew Bedo
26-Mar-2017, 06:39
I've often thought about designing a pack frame which would also double as a camera tripod - where the camera is already mounted on the "tripod" head...positioned just behind the users head at just above the rest of the pack with lens looking forward, so that when a location and position are reached, the user just reaches back to two flip-locks and allows two back legs to slide down by gravity until they contact the ground. Locks are then secured while the user simultaneously unclips the fasted-clip secured shoulder straps (easier than struggling out of fixed straps while trying to spin around while holding up the rig), and then turning around while holding up the camera on two legs prior to folding forward a third leg and allowing its bottom tube to drop by way of its flip lock...then securing this. So now, without bending over or even needing to put anything on the ground, the camera is in position (well, maybe some slight final adjustment would be needed), plus the pack is still attached with all the associated goodies (lenses, holders, etc.) all accessible from the back and just below the camera...not to mention that the pack also serves as a tripod weight to stabilize everything. Gotta finally make a concept drawing of this!

Sorry if the above sounds confusing...but its 3:00am and I woke up a few minutes ago (I do this with some frequency now that I'm in my 60's), and just thought I'd try to be useful/helpful before I hopefully get back to sleep!

Hi John. yeah at 66 I do 3AM sometimes too.

Sounds like an idea that could develop into a workable solution. The description reads as a more complex operation than it would actually be. Thuink of all rthe n manipulations that go into assembling everything out of a pack. Again, weight will be an issue. This idea could be demonstrated with bits of gear and a couple of monop[ods. How many of us already have an unused monopod and a tripos with only two functioning legs?

John Layton
26-Mar-2017, 11:27
I'm thinking that without a center column...the tripod/packframes third leg would fold inwards enough to allow for a shoulder strap/suspension system to cover this third leg, and thus make the whole package more comfortable to carry. At the time of setup, and after the two rearward facing legs are securely on the ground, the user would, as I've described above, unclip the straps and "rotate" out of the rig - and after this swing the third leg forward...either with the suspension system still in place as it would have enough "give" for this, or after unclipping one side of the suspension so that it could then swing out of the way of the third leg. Finally, the user would extend the third leg to reach the ground prior to attending to the camera, already having been mounted on the tripod head prior to shouldering the pack in the first place...is now facing basically in the right direction...awaiting final adjustments.

The above would save so much time and logistical hassle - with the camera being set up in one fairly quick operation, with the backpack ending up suspended off the ground, weighing down the tripod appropriately, with everything easily accessible to the user without a lot of bending to the ground and moving stuff around. Furthermore...if the user wanted, for some reason (like needing to splay the tripod legs out for a low angle), to move the camera and tripod independently of the backpack - the pack itself would unclip and be easily removable.

Gotta think more about this!

Drew Bedo
28-Mar-2017, 05:46
Maybe something like the "Ben-bo" configuration with a long bolt that tightens all the parts together through the top cross tube of the pack frame . . .

Phil_F_NM
28-Mar-2017, 06:11
I think a tripod/pack might be a little too large but could be done. The pack itself could be constructed like a flower with 3 or 4 "petals" that wrap up around the camera itself. This would only be really workable if the unit used a leveling head instead of a larger tripod head. The problem is where do the legs go? Unless the legs folded up around the pack as well in which case this is an invention of a completely new tripod with several more pivots per-leg.
I'm thinking a better solution would be to modify an old baby carrier backpack. I believe the type that had a folding strut which would stand up as the child was placed in, have been taken off the market but I'm not sure. I'm not shopping for those nor any other baby related items. Anyway, the pack frame could be attached to a camera bag quite easily and the bag or backpack would be about 2 feet off the ground.

Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk