PDA

View Full Version : chemical refridgeration

Gray Mitchell
9-Jun-2005, 19:03
Hello...does anyone know if the life of stock chemicals are extended in the fridge. My problem is that my apartment gets very warm during the day and i dont think that can be good for my chemicals. Any suggestions? thanks

Eric Woodbury
9-Jun-2005, 19:16
Refrigeration should help some, afterall, chemical reactions slow down with temperature. However, some concentrates may freeze or come out of solution. I think that oxygen is the biggest problem with most, if not all photo chemicals, so putting nitrogen or other inert gases in the container to displace the oxygen would be the biggest help.

If you put something in the frig, be sure to label carefully so that you or a guest don't consume it in the middle of the night.

Aaron van de Sande
9-Jun-2005, 20:08
Rule of thumb is that reaction speed doubles every 10 degrees celsius. So if your fridge is 5c the chemicals will last 4x as long.

Steve Clark
9-Jun-2005, 20:15
Ordinarily, 55 degrees or so is about as cool as would want to store your chemistry, as some of them may come out of solution. Try some small batches in clear glass containers so you can see whats going on.

Louis Jensen
9-Jun-2005, 20:25
I freeze small plastic bottles with 175 ml of stock dektol all of the time. Be sure to remove as much air as possible. It lasts many months. Some of the chemical come out of solution, but heating the developer in the microwave oven before use solves the problem.