PDA

View Full Version : New bunch of lenses...

Capocheny
8-Jun-2005, 00:55
Greetings all,

Considering that I've just told CJ in an earlier post that she should have fun spending her hard-earned money (because that's why we bust our butts day-in, day-out) I thought I would post on my most recent acquisition.

I bought the following lenses (and don't know much about them... and still haven't used them yet (but will do so this coming weekend) ):

1. Nikkor-W 150 F5.6

2. Fujinon-SW 90 F8.0

3. Fujinon-T 300 F8.0

They're mounted on Wista lens boards (Copal shutters) and are pretty much in mint condition.

I'm sure some of the good folks here have owned/used these lenses. Can you tell me what your thoughts are on them? Are you happy with them in terms of movement capabilities, sharpness, contrast, etc? For focusing purposes... I'm wondering whether I shouldn't have gone with a 90 F5.6 instead... but the deal was just too good to pass up on!

My other lenses (for 4x5 Sinar X and Tachihara) include a 210 Rodenstock f5.6, 240 Symmar F5.6, and a huge 360 Symmar F6.8. I'm shooting mostly table-top and will be getting out to do some landscapes this summer (if it ever arrives!)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Michael Kadillak
8-Jun-2005, 02:42
Great acquisition as you have not only a fabulous group of focal lengths, but great lenses.

The 150 Nikon W is a regular with my Linhof. Light, compact and contrasty. The Fuji 90 f8 is also great. And the f8 version is not in any way harder to focus than the f5.6. I have this lens in the Nikon 90mm f9 and when I compared it to the heavier f4.5 in trial before I bought, it was only modestly better in focusing at max aperture (many scenes I could not tell the difference) and I actuall thought that the f8 was a bit sharper in the results department. Both lenses use the same "formula" as far as I can tell in their design. Since you stop down to check depth of field identically, I would opt for lower weight if this is the only compromise.

Many of my lenses I use are now f9 to f12.5 and larger and I do not feel that I have any difficulty in focusing in any normal lighting situation I encounter even without a fresnel.

I have not used the Fuji T 300, but I am sure that someone will chime in with direct experience with it.

Good Shooting!

Brian Ellis
8-Jun-2005, 04:59
You need to buy a couple more lenses for your closet. I'd say a 75mm would be the next logical acquisition unless a good 450 comes along (or in that event you could just buy both). If they won't work on your existing cameras so much the better, you'll then need to buy another camera. And by all means continue your practice of buying first and asking questions later, as I often do. It's so much more fun learning about the quality of your equipment when you already own it. Why waste time learning about stuff you may never buy?

Robert A. Zeichner
8-Jun-2005, 05:16
The Fuji 300T is a telephoto design. As such, it will be of limited value in any kind of close up situation as you will need to calculate exit pupil factors once the magnification exceeds 1:10. Also, because the primary nodal point of these lenses is typically somewhere in front of the front element, swings and tilts at the front standard of your camera will be a bit tricky. In addition to that, the coverage of this lens is not exactly generous. Other than those issues, it's a pretty good lens and I've made many sharp negatives with one just like it. It should be an excellent lens for landscape work.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
8-Jun-2005, 06:32
Henry, I am glad you can afford to buy nice stuff. I have never used any of those lenses but the first two have a good reputation around here. I only have three lenses and only use two of them. Oddly enough one of the two I use regularly is the Rodenstock you have. :-)

Capocheny
9-Jun-2005, 01:42
Michael,

Thank you for the comments (as usual)... great to know that I didn't "go wrong" on this purchase. I'm planning on using the gear this weekend, both indoors and out. :)

Brian,

Sounds like you and I would get along JUST fine! :) It's not often that I "jump off" like this and pick up gear I'm not too, too familiar with but, in this case, the deal was just toooooo good to pass up. A photographer who I just met (buying a Minolta Flashmeter III from him via Ebay) had all this gear that he was looking to sell. Included was some pretty amazing gear. The long and short of it was that, after some conversation, I found out that he was planning on selling the rest of his gear on that big auction site so that he could make a casg donation to the Park's Board. Why? Because he couldn't find a place to donate the gear to! All he knew was that he wanted to make a donation to a worthwhile charity (please, no wisenheimer cracks or requests! :)) and to the Park's Board.

After further discussions, he told me that he didn't think any organization would want this gear. And, frankly, he was quite surprised that people would pay so much for some of the equipment he had already sold via ebay (including color recording film, that was available only in Japan, by the 100 foot rolls.) I had a peek through the remaining gear and was simply amazed... everything was in mint- condition (if not better!) There was a LaserGraphics film recorder, a Acurus II flatbed scanner, a LeafScan 4x5 film scanner, a Besseler/Minolta 45XMT enlarger etc, etc. Amazing!

BTW... the fellow had some incredible images (he's sponsored by a major 35mm camera manufacturer) and has travelled all over the world shooting with this gear. He said that he's very careful with his equipment since it's his "bread and butter!"

To make a long story short...I helped him accomplish his donation to one of the local colleges that has a Photo Imaging Department and, at the end of the day, the donation was worth a little under CDN$35,000 (via an valuation by one of the local camera stores.) The college receiving this gear is looking forward to getting their mitts on it; the photographer is happy knowing that his gear is going to be used by a new generation of photographers, and the whole deal turns out to be a win-win situation.

I had my 35mm camera with me at the time and we talked about what gear I regularly used (Sinar X and Tachihara 4x5.) Well, out came a mint condition Wista and these three gorgeous lenses. Although I wasn't interested in the Wista... I was keen on the lenses. He offered them to me at CDN$800 during my next visit with him! I suspect part of the reason for such a generous offer (aside from him being a very nice man) was because I offered to help him with his donation. [The donation is being put-to-bed within the next week or so.]

Anyway, I certainly couldn't turn this generous offer down. There were also 5 mint Toyo holders that I purchased for $50. So, all in all... it really was a win-win-win situation! :)

As for more lenses and cameras.... I think I'll stop making more acquisitions and start SHOOTING a LOT more! :)

Robert,

Thank you for the input... yes, I had heard that the nodal point was different in these telephoto lens designs. I'll have to just go out and play with it to see how different it is. Most of what I've learned about shooting LF has predominantly come from all the great folks on this forum! :) So, a warm thanks to all.... I remembered reading about this at one time or another over the years! :) Maybe, the memory isn't going down the tubes afterall! :)

As for calculating exit pupil factors... YIKES, my math is bad enough with a calculator. So, I think I'll tend to stay away from using the lens under the condition you've mentioned! :) I was immensely relieved when the discussion of bellows factors (for close-ups) cropped up and someone said that Calumet made a device, which was simple and easy to use. [I have 6 of these little guys kicking around in my "studio."] :)

Edward,

As I said above... it truly was a deal I couldn't walk away from.

Frankly, that little 210 Rodenstock is a fine piece of glass and, prior to this, it was the one I'd use most often on my Tachihara. I also have a Nikkor 135 f5.6 that (originally) came with the Tachihara and I've never used it on either cameras. It's going to be one of the lenses I'll be selling to pay for the lenses I just purchased. :)

So, there you have it... the story of my bunch of new lenses! I kNOW someone "upstairs" was looking after me and decided to bless me with this great deal! :)

........... [I'll say my thanks again a little bit later on tonight. :)]

Cheers