PDA

View Full Version : Using two different monolights

Naej
19-Feb-2017, 13:47
Hi folks.

I have two monolights: one Bowen Prolite 100 (500 w/s) and an Alien Bees B140 (140 w/s if I remember well).

Using them for black and whites is a very easily done, but I'm worry that if I use them for colors, I may have problem with white balance.

Am I wrong? Is using two different flashes makes difference or not?

Thank you in advance for your answer and have a nice day!!!
Jean-François aka Jeff (easier for English speaking persons :) )

Christopher Barrett
19-Feb-2017, 15:40
You'll likely have a little color variation due to the different flashtubes and electronics. Both will be balanced to daylight, though, and should be in ballpark proximity of each other.

-CB

Two23
19-Feb-2017, 16:22
The wattage is different, so there might be a very small difference. Just try it and see. I assume you're using a Passport Colorchecker?

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
19-Feb-2017, 16:47
You'll likely have a little color variation due to the different flashtubes and electronics. Both will be balanced to daylight, though, and should be in ballpark proximity of each other.

-CB
Depending on the power settings used. On basic moonlights color temperature will change with the selected power setting.
Best is to take a Macbeth color checker, shoot it with each flash unit individually at each power setting on the flash and then compare the results. Just be sure to do it at the same distance, same camera and lens.

Michael E
19-Feb-2017, 17:38
I used to work with two Multiblitz monolights and two Hensel heads on a separate generator. The former were on the warm side, the latter on the magenta side. It bothered me so much that I bought four new matching (Elinchrom) strobes. Good decision.

Two23
19-Feb-2017, 17:52
Also a chance that if flash are aimed at one spot, they could simply blend together. You'll have to test to see. Might be possible to gel one flash to make them match, but that can be a PITA.

Kent in SD

Naej
20-Feb-2017, 20:34
Thank you for all your answers.

I'll try with a pixels box before using them on films.

Have a nice day!!!

Martin Aislabie
22-Feb-2017, 10:55
Flash tubes colour change with age - the number of cycles

If colour balance is important to you then you need to run some tests with the equipment you have.

Martin