PDA

View Full Version : strange looking Componon lens

Andrea Gazzoni
8-Feb-2017, 03:00
Before I commit to buy it I'd like to ask.
Is this how a 180mm Componon-S should look or is it missing something?
what puzzles me is the two different threads.
thank you for any info

IanG
8-Feb-2017, 04:33
That's typical of the 180mm Componon S although the rear cell may not be fully screwed in to the barrel in that photo.

Ian

LabRat
8-Feb-2017, 05:01
The outer (rear) thread makes sense when using limited extension enlarger bellows, where the bellows might be set up for a shorter FL, but this design allows the lens to have max lens to film distance (like a built in extension for the 180mm) to allow a greater range of focus on smaller enlargers...

So a good thing!!!

Steve K

jose angel
8-Feb-2017, 06:01
There is also missing a light spreading diffuser to illuminate the aperture, something like a white translucent glass that fit in the rear element side. Nothing essential, I guess, I don`t know if it was included in all lens batches.

IanG
8-Feb-2017, 06:05
The 240mm & 300mm Componon S I use have a sort of collar that hides what you're seeing, this part was never there on all the 180mm Componon lenses. There is a version where the lens mounting thread is part of the composite barrel and not the rear element cell, this may not be a s secure.

There is also missing a light spreading diffuser to illuminate the aperture, something like a white translucent glass that fit in the rear element side. Nothing essential, I guess, I don`t know if it was included in all lens batches.

Two different versions of the same lens I think, different placement of the mounting threads.

Ian

Luis-F-S
8-Feb-2017, 07:18
My 240 Componon-S in Compur 3 shutter has the second set of threads on the rear cell. I had SKG custom drill a Lapla board to screw onto the rear cell. This way, I can mount it on my enlarger and use it as an enlarging lens while still shutter mounted. Some of the older enlarging lenses did not have illuminated apertures. L

ic-racer
8-Feb-2017, 07:31
If you want to mount this lens on a Durst turret, the mounting ring and trim ring are missing.

Luis-F-S
8-Feb-2017, 12:22

I've only seen this on the 150 Apo Componon. If you have a 180 Componon-S with the diffuser, pls post a photo of it!

Don Dudenbostel
11-Feb-2017, 18:53
I have a 150 componon S that I bought new that's exactly like this and had a 180 that I bought used that's just like this. I don't think anythings missing.