PDA

View Full Version : National Park Service photographer documents human touch on America

ghostcount
1-Feb-2017, 11:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGflkToY4ro

The National Park Service hired a photographer this year to document the human touch on the American landscape. One of his first assignments is a little known part of Ellis Island. The Baggage and Dormitory Building is tucked behind the famous great hall. For this installment of our "America the Beautiful" series, Jim Axelrod met a man who hopes his work will reveal more of the fabric of our nation.

EdSawyer
1-Feb-2017, 13:00
double post removed

EdSawyer
1-Feb-2017, 13:08
I'll have to watch this and see what it's about. The Baggage building has long been on the list for needing attention / renovation / restoration (along with the whole south side of the island). Christopher Barnes did some nice LF work on Ellis Island back in the 80s, it's worth seeing his prints (which include some of the Baggage building.) Also there was another guy who did some LF work on Ellis Island later on in the 90s-2000s, I forget his name, he published a book (ignore all the text though, it's rubbish and uneducated blather), and also includes some good shots of the Baggage building.

Ok, watched it... not that impressed. props to him for shooting LF and understanding why it's better but his work seems pretty mundane and derivative. There's frankly, many many better photos that have been taken of Ellis Island than what they are showing he's done so far (seems like every shot is just a wide-angle overview with a 47 or 58xl). Meh. They should have gotten someone better to do that job.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2017, 14:41
I'll have to watch this and see what it's about. The Baggage building has long been on the list for needing attention / renovation / restoration (along with the whole south side of the island). Christopher Barnes did some nice LF work on Ellis Island back in the 80s, it's worth seeing his prints (which include some of the Baggage building.) Also there was another guy who did some LF work on Ellis Island later on in the 90s-2000s, I forget his name, he published a book (ignore all the text though, it's rubbish and uneducated blather), and also includes some good shots of the Baggage building.

Ok, watched it... not that impressed. props to him for shooting LF and understanding why it's better but his work seems pretty mundane and derivative. There's frankly, many many better photos that have been taken of Ellis Island than what they are showing he's done so far (seems like every shot is just a wide-angle overview with a 47 or 58xl). Meh. They should have gotten someone better to do that job.

Or maybe that was what they wanted him to shoot for documentation of the site rather then artistic rendition of the site.