PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the ground glass and fresnel?

l2oBiN
28-Jan-2017, 05:06
I suppose the ground glass is a plain soap and water procedure.

What about the fresnel? Especially if plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyowen
28-Jan-2017, 05:51
Mine I just immersed in soapy water and then rinsed off under tap water.
I do not have a separate Fresnel
regards

Tony

IanG
28-Jan-2017, 06:31
Plain screens I always clean with water and liquid detergent then glass cleaner that's OK for both Glass and Fresnel, however I take extra care with the fresnel to ensure it doesn't get scratched, the glass cleaner I use will drain dry leaving no marks.

With screens you need to be careful if they have a grid, washing can damage/remove the lines. With older plain glass screens I will often re-grind them as this usually greatly increases their brightness, that's true with all pre WWII GG screens and some post WWII particularly Graflex and MPP which have very dim screens even the last models.

Ian

mdarnton
28-Jan-2017, 06:33
I dry fresnels with compressed air to avoid drops forming spots.

LabRat
28-Jan-2017, 06:36
And a final rinse/dip in distilled water with a trace of Photo-Flo before drying...

Steve K

l2oBiN
28-Jan-2017, 16:39
Would using a paint brush damage the fresnel?

In terms or washing the grid off, I did this on my arca! Did not realise they were cotton(?) strings and they came off. I am planning to draw my own grid on. With pencil (?).

LabRat
28-Jan-2017, 18:47
Would using a paint brush damage the fresnel?

In terms or washing the grid off, I did this on my arca! Did not realise they were cotton(?) strings and they came off. I am planning to draw my own grid on. With pencil (?).

A soft nylon brush will not harm the fresnel... Liquid detergent is fine for cleaning it...

Many grids on GG's will wash off... You can use a hard lead drawing pencil with a sharp tip to draw any new lines you want... Draw on the GG matt side, and if you make a mistake, it washes all off easily...

You can also make clear sheet overlays with different grids to put over the back of your GG with different patterns...

Steve K