PDA

View Full Version : Question About Picture Glass and The Epson V800 Scanner

IanBarber
24-Jan-2017, 13:58
When scanning my 4x5 negatives, I like to place them on the Epson Fluid Mount Holder and place a piece of Picture Anti-Reflectant glass on top of the negative to keep the negative perfectly flat.

I always place the emulsion side down so it faces the scanner optics and then place the glass on top of the negative, etched side down.

I have read that Anti-Newton Ring glass is the suggested method but its pretty hard to find here in the UK and I am wondering if using this picture anti-refectant glass is compromising the scan by not using Anti-Newton ring glass.

Not sure what the difference is to be honest.

Greg Davis
24-Jan-2017, 14:49
There is very little difference between the two.

Christopher Barrett
24-Jan-2017, 15:46
Also, is AN glass necessary if you're wet mounting? Instead of glass on top, I use Aztek scanner overlay film and never have rings with the wet mount process. Though I guess you didn't actually say you were wet mounting.... ???

-CB

Jim Andrada
24-Jan-2017, 17:44
Wet mounting is so simple and quick I totally recommend it. I actually timed it and mounting a 4 x 5 took all of 23 seconds.

IanBarber
25-Jan-2017, 01:25
Also, is AN glass necessary if you're wet mounting? Instead of glass on top, I use Aztek scanner overlay film and never have rings with the wet mount process. Though I guess you didn't actually say you were wet mounting.... ???

-CB

Initially, I just dry scan to get a feel of the overall exposure and development. If the photograph is for a sale or going out to print, then I will wet scan

koraks
25-Jan-2017, 06:41
There is very little difference between the two.

Some matte picture glass may have a relatively coarse structure that can end up within the depth of field of the sensor array of the scanner, resulting in artifacts across the entire image area and/degradation of fine details. If you don't experience these issues, then there's obviously no reason to revise your workflow.