PDA

View Full Version : Gear Review: Orvis Gale Force Boat Bag and the Stone Equipment Lens Wraps

Eric Biggerstaff
24-Jan-2017, 12:54
A while ago I posted a question regarding a need to protect single lenses, so I thought I would write a quick review of the products I ended up with.

Like many of you, I seem to always be searching for a photo gear bag that is tough, light and protective. I had purchased a Photo Backpacker set up which was great, but I really no longer backpack with my LF gear so it was overkill. If I do go more than a couple of miles from the car, then I take either medium format or DSLR so my needs were less than what that system was really designed for.

As a fly fisherman, I was aware of the excellent products on the market designed to protect reels and rods from the abuses of nature. Like cameras, some of those items are $$$$$$$$ so protection is important. I checked many different bags and decided that the Orvis Gale Force boat bag would be great. It is large, built like a tank, waterproof and the interior has partitions that can be moved around. Designed as a protective gear bag for use on drift boats, it is more than enough to handle my Deardorff 5X7 and all of the accessories for a day out photographing. In addition, it is currently 50% off at Orvis with a sell price of $125 so the price was right.

Now I needed to protect the lenses. While the idea of Tupperware style containers is great, and I have done that in the past, becuase the bag is waterproof and padded, I did not need those. I decided to go with the lens wraps that our friend Dan Stone makes. They are, without a doubt, the best lens wraps I have ever owned. The materials are tough on the outside and soft on the inside so my lenses stay nice and safe. The colors allow me to easily identify each lens and because most are bright I won't leave one on a rock late in the day when the light is fading. There is ample velcro to secure it and the craftsmanship is first rate. All that at a price which is less than others others on the market. If you need great lens protection, give Dan a call or drop him a note.

Andy Eads
24-Jan-2017, 12:58
Thanks for the review. This information will guide some of my future plans.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2017, 13:30
sweet!

Drew Bedo
25-Jan-2017, 05:50
Thanks for the follolw-up and review. So often someone asks a question, then gets tons of well-meant advice then never lets us know what they did about it.

David Schaller
25-Jan-2017, 12:25
Thanks Eric. That looks like a great system. Now can we see the second one you got for your reels?

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Jan-2017, 15:26
David,

I tell ya, reels are like lenses, one is never enough! Every year more seem to find their way into my home, and all live in a large reel case. I have another one of those for lenses as well!

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Jan-2017, 15:28
By the way, for anyone interested. That Orvis bag holds my camera, 8 5X7 holders, dark cloth, 8 lenses, plus all the other little crap that goes along with a day in the field.

Peter Collins
25-Jan-2017, 16:53
Thanks, Eric!

David Schaller
26-Jan-2017, 07:34
David,

I tell ya, reels are like lenses, one is never enough! Every year more seem to find their way into my home, and all live in a large reel case. I have another one of those for lenses as well!

It's nice to think about fly fishing at this time of the year. I may have to make the short trip up to the Orvis store in Manchester, VT to look at this bag ... and fishing gear.
Thanks agai,
Dave

srpirolt
26-Jan-2017, 09:13
I can certainly use a couple new lens wraps. Does Dan Stone have a website?

Thanks for the review. Now I have a much needed excuse to visit the Orvis store.

srpirolt
26-Jan-2017, 09:14
I can certainly use a couple new lens wraps. Does Dan Stone have a website?

Thanks for the review. Now I have a much needed excuse to visit the Orvis store.

Eric Biggerstaff
26-Jan-2017, 10:24
Dan has a Facebook page but I am not sure about a website, you can contact him directly from here - just send a private message.

Also, if you are going to the Park Meadows store, call first as they may not have the bag in stock. They can order and ship for free however.

srpirolt
26-Jan-2017, 12:04
Thanks Eric!

Alan Gales
26-Jan-2017, 12:14
There is no green lens wrap.

You need to buy another lens so you can get a green lens wrap.

Hey, any excuse to buy another lens, right? :)

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2017, 05:57
More and more I am finding that businesses I want to contact opnly have a web presence on FaceBook.

I am beginning to view myself the way I looked at my grandparents. All had immigrated from Europe at one or another time before WW-II. My most sophisticated grandmother had actually worked as a portrait photographer and darkroom technicians in Buda-Pest in the '20s and '30s . . .yet she viewed Polaroid instant technology as near magic.

Today I am comfortable with my flip phone; adesk-top computer and use e-mail. Viewing the new generation of websites is getting slightly confusing though as everything blinks and moves around. We do not do FaceBook, SnapChat Twitter Tumbler ReadIt or whatever is the newest way of being superficial in public.

And there it is . . I am becoming .my grumpy Italian grandfather who was devastated when his beloved dodgers left Brooklyn.

sepstein17
27-Jan-2017, 06:41
This seems terrific -- went on their site and noted the dimensions ---10.5h x22.25wx11.5d -- think it will fit in the overhead of an airline -- full-size jet...thanks again.

steve

Daniel Stone
27-Jan-2017, 09:30
Dan has a Facebook page but I am not sure about a website, you can contact him directly from here - just send a private message.

Also, if you are going to the Park Meadows store, call first as they may not have the bag in stock. They can order and ship for free however.

Hey all,

Yes, I am still working on the website, but if you(or your kids) use Instagram or Facebook, you can find me under "Stone Photo Gear".
Or send me a PM here with your email address and I'll send you a price sheet.

cheers,
Dan

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Jan-2017, 11:58
I like your moxie Alan! Yes, I better pick up another lens so I can get a nice bright green lens wrap! My wife would be so happy!

Alan Gales
27-Jan-2017, 18:35
I like your moxie Alan! Yes, I better pick up another lens so I can get a nice bright green lens wrap! My wife would be so happy!

Eric, your case and lens wraps look real nice!

I'm married too so I understand. :)