PDA

View Full Version : The Story Behind Every Photograph and Interactive Blog

Steve Sherman
31-Dec-2016, 19:55

Please visit my new Blog www.PowerofProcessTips.com You can read the incredible Story Behind Every Photograph as well a short video clip related to the image you see here.

There is a provision to Subscribe to my Blog and receive free periodic Tips about my Process and other related techniques to Large Film and the Wet Silver Process.

Wishing All a Creative 2017 !!

climbabout
1-Jan-2017, 08:55
I would invite all of you to take a close look at this image - technical exposure details and development controls aside - the composition is breathtaking - notice the attention to detail of the alignment of the columns at various distances to the choice or cropping at the edges - I could go on and on, but just enjoy it as you discover the details. This is what happens when one has attained extreme technical proficiency - you are allowed to focus(no pun intended) on the compositional and artistic elements of the image as you visualize it in your mind and then on the ground glass. Very well done indeed!
Tim

Steve Sherman
1-Feb-2017, 17:48

If you have interest in the back story of this photograph please visit this free link: http://www.powerofprocesstips.com/2017/02/01/story-behind-every-photograph-feb-2017/

sanking
1-Feb-2017, 18:00
Hi Steve,

Just wanted to comment that I like your series of stories behind the photograph.

Though when you described walking out on a ledge to make the photography in the Hartford City Hall, while fascinated with the story, I suddenly understood that you are not nearly as smart as I thought you were!! What old man in his right mind would do such a thing, for a picture.

It was a really nice shot!! But hopefully with time you will cultivate some friends who prevent you from doing such foolhardy things.

Best,

Sandy

Steve Sherman
2-Feb-2017, 05:08
Hi Steve,

Just wanted to comment that I like your series of stories behind the photograph.

Though when you described walking out on a ledge to make the photography in the Hartford City Hall, while fascinated with the story, I suddenly understood that you are not nearly as smart as I thought you were!! What old man in his right mind would do such a thing, for a picture.

It was a really nice shot!! But hopefully with time you will cultivate some friends who prevent you from doing such foolhardy things.

Best,

Sandy

I would agree with you Sandy...and when I get old I will curtail those decisions !

Cheers, SS

Drew Bedo
2-Feb-2017, 07:53
While back-storys are interesting, I feel that each image offered for public viewing (say at a Show or Gallery) should be able to stand alolne without caption or even a title.

If the viewer is attracted to the image enough to walk across a larger room fopr a closer look and then spends a minuite or so exploring it, then maybe a short bit of back-story can add depth to that experience.

But if the image only has attention due toi some aspect of its creation not evedent in the image itself, its is much less effective in my view.

Dinesh
2-Feb-2017, 08:49
I have a print of this image hanging proudly in my living room and can attest that the image on your screen does not do it justice.

Thanks Steve.

Drew Bedo
3-Feb-2017, 10:24
Well I really like what I can see of it on my computer screen.

Wish I had the opportunity to photograph this scene. Does it need a back-story?

Peter Lewin
3-Feb-2017, 19:02
Mountain out of a mole hill? Steve posted the picture and a link for the back story. If you only want to look at the image, you can click on it for the larger version. No extra text. If you are interested in the back story, you click on the link. Choice is up to the viewer. Personally, I enjoy the back story.

Steve Sherman
14-Mar-2017, 07:17
Many times just the incidental information found in the The Story Behind Every Photograph is very informative, see here:
http://www.powerofprocesstips.com/20...ph-march-2017/

Steve Sherman
31-Mar-2017, 21:27
The Story Behind Every Photograph see details here:

http://www.powerofprocesstips.com/2017/03/29/the-story-behind-every-photograph-april-2017/

Thalmees
3-Apr-2017, 12:07
"photo should be able to stand alolne without caption or even a title".
The previous phrase could be the worst interpretation of what Ansel Adams said.
Hello all,
My apology in advance if this post does not conform with anybody ideas.
Unfortunately, lots of what Ansel Adams said/wrote, has been severely misinterpreted, deliberately been tailored(during the last 10 years), to involve(and accommodate) any and every form of practices(creating) of making any and every photo.
While the man was strict formal genuine artist, needed to confirm that the moon in one of his photographs is not the devil "double exposure", I find unfortunately some people talking about Ansel Adams practices as it was loose(simple, silly, not deep, casual practices, free, unthoughtful, inaccurate, personal rules, not referential), not as a meticulous handcraft with deliberately tight rules as it is truly(as any classical art), as most members here practice today.
They unfortunately digitalize every thing AA was doing, translating everything to just Photoshop tricks.
Back to the above phrase,
Ansel Adams wrote(and said) a lot about his own photography outside the zone of aesthetics. The "Examples, The Making Of 40 Photographs" book, is a clear statement to the history and to the art of photography. IMO(no "H", sorry), the best book ever about artistic(not functional) photography, though does not include much aesthetics and specially never about his work.
As far as I remember, AA was abstaining from talking about his photographs in the aesthetic aspects, only. He was encouraging others to do so(abstain), and he was considering talking about self work aesthetics, as a weakness.
Because they are not hiding Photoshop tricks;)(they do not use it), every photography artist should be free to talk or represent whatever he/she wish, outside the aesthetics. Adams, Weston, White and Karsh are just examples.
Of course, nobody can prevent anybody from talking about aesthetics of others photos or others oil paintings.
In this digitalis:Dera, everything can do picturing, everywhere and every time, including Xerox machines. No craftsmanship. Era of undefined meaning of practice, and unknown message of photo!
Public, most of them, could not differentiate between an inkjet print from downtown lab, and an optical photographic baryta print, leave alone just imagining how each was produced. Also, museum curators are not concerned about discussing the differences between a vivid inkjet print and a long scale optical B&W photographic baryta print, to the public. They are concerned more about money underneath.
Of course, a group of photographers(LFPF), is not public in any meaning of the word, specially when talking about photography.
The Story Behind Every Photograph IMHO, is just another "Examples, Of Making Photographs", but in multimedia.
Thanks so much.