PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is Coming Up! What Are Some Good Books to Consider Asking Santa For?

Eric Biggerstaff
2-Dec-2016, 15:31
Well, it is that time of year and I need to send my list into Santa before his shop gets to busy.

Any suggestions on good photo books this year?

Amfooty
2-Dec-2016, 17:07
Larry Sultan:Here and Home
Alec Soth: Gathering Leaves
Ron Jude: Lago
Ben Huff: The Last Road North
Emmet Gowin: Changing the Earth
Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places
Joel Sternfeld: American Prospects
Sally Mann :Hold Still --one of my favorites. It turns out Sally Mann is an incredible writer as well as photographer.

Eric Woodbury
2-Dec-2016, 17:54
QT Luong: Treasured Lands
Must be loyal.

--ejw--

David Karp
2-Dec-2016, 18:28
And Austin Granger - Elegy From the Edge of a Continent.

angusparker
2-Dec-2016, 20:27
QT Luong: Treasured Lands
Must be loyal.

--ejw--

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Biggerstaff
3-Dec-2016, 19:19
Thanks, good suggestions!

Peter Lewin
3-Dec-2016, 20:28
I would like to suggest two books that many of you may have never seen, they are outside the usual "canon" of well-known photographers:
1) Whispered Prayers: Portraits and Prose of Tibetans in Exile by Stephen R. Harrison - the title is self-explanatory, but all the photographs were made with a Canham 7x17, hardly the usual travel camera for trips to exotic places, and
2) Three Gorges by Bill Zorn - a travelogue through the region of China eventually flooded by the Three Gorges Dam Project; again all of the photographs were taken in B&W with large format cameras

Do some googling to see if they may interest you, I have both and enjoy them very much.

Eric Biggerstaff
4-Dec-2016, 07:56
Thanks Peter, I have Three Gorges but I think most of those were made in medium format (not that it matters). I will check out the other one as that is new to me.

Mark Sampson
4-Dec-2016, 19:50
Literally anything from Lodima Press.

mathieu Bauwens
5-Dec-2016, 03:47
I would also add the last Sally Mann's book; Remembered Light; Cy Twombly in Lexington. Very nice and smooth book.

EdSawyer
5-Dec-2016, 07:25
Pretty much *any* Sally Mann book is worth having, IMNSHO. Agreed about Hold Still, and Treasured Lands (already have both of those)

mathieu Bauwens
6-Dec-2016, 12:14
Yes, sure !

pdmoylan
6-Dec-2016, 13:01
If you are not adverse to color work, Charles Cramer's "Yosemite" recently published by Triplekite in UK looks astonishing. A fine LF eye using mostly 4x5 (perhaps some recent digital).

Another from the same publisher which I enjoy is Hans Strand's aerial images of Iceland using Hasselblad digital, "Above and Below".

Both are well produced and high quality products.

Merry Xmas.

Darin Boville
8-Dec-2016, 01:16
Just stopping by to order QTs book as a gift....

Fantasia of Color in Early Cinema

Any Sugimoto book--I think one or two came out this year

The Meadow

Light of Coincidence

--Darin

Eric Biggerstaff
8-Dec-2016, 07:33
Thanks all!

Jim Jones
12-Dec-2016, 06:43
If you shoot B&W, Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse. If Santa doesn't deliver, buy it!

neil poulsen
12-Dec-2016, 08:34
I always give to me what I myself would like to have.:)

neil poulsen
12-Dec-2016, 08:45
If you shoot B&W, Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse. If Santa doesn't deliver, buy it!

2nd Ed.

neil poulsen
12-Dec-2016, 08:47
If any are still available, John Sexton is selling 1st Ed. signed copies of Places of Power for $50, plus shipping.

Tin Can
12-Dec-2016, 09:50
If any are still available, John Sexton is selling 1st Ed. signed copies of Places of Power for $50, plus shipping.

The book of the year for me. I just got it.

Not only are the images wonderful, but Walter Cronkite's with Mr. Sexton's words are prescient.

jaymus
22-Dec-2016, 07:30
Todd Hido just released his mid-career survey, Intimate Distance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The print & production quality of the book is very high, too.