PDA

View Full Version : Second-Hand Ries Model C?

dpn
1-Dec-2016, 09:01
I'm shopping for tripod legs for a new Sinar P, and found a reasonably priced Ries Model C tripod that I'm considering buying: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pho/5899339579.html

Given the reputation for long-lasting quality that Ries tripods have, and with an appropriate head, how useable would these legs be? Put differently, other than smoothness, aesthetics, and warranty, what would I be losing going with this used tripod instead of a new set of legs?

Thanks for the feedback,

Dan

Edit: I found this information, which I should have considered before posting. Sorry about that.

"The C series uses the same legs as the H series (which are a slightly lighter build of the J series) but uses a cost reduced yoke where the Tri Lock clamps are replaced with sliding metal plates which do a vastly inferior job of locking the shoulder joint where the legs attach to the yoke."

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2016, 10:13
Never used the Cs, but the As and Js rock!
I'd call up Ries and ask them about the C and see what they can tell you. Inferior and Ries just don't belong in the same sentence.
If you're looking for a wood tripod you may also want to consider the Berlebach.

Jan Pietrzak
1-Dec-2016, 11:50
Dan,

The model 'C' that is on their site is not the same as the one on Craig's list.....the CL model is much lighter and smaller.....the smallest Ries I would use would be a 'J' or if you can find a old model 'B'....Jan

dpn
1-Dec-2016, 12:35
Thanks all. I'm holding out for a J. I use (and love) a Tiltall now, so I can wait a little bit before upgrading.

Alan Gales
1-Dec-2016, 12:52
Dan, I used to own a Sinar P. I own both the Ries A100 and J100. Both with double tilt heads. Like Jan says, I wouldn't go smaller than the J100 with the Sinar P.

For a head you might want to keep your eye out for a Sinar head. I've never used one but it is highly recommended for the Sinar monorails. The Sinar head has a pin which keeps the camera mount from spinning on the head. I had to really tighten down my Sinar to prevent it from spinning on my Ries heads.

dpn
1-Dec-2016, 13:32
For a head you might want to keep your eye out for a Sinar head. I've never used one but it is highly recommended for the Sinar monorails. The Sinar head has a pin which keeps the camera mount from spinning on the head. I had to really tighten down my Sinar to prevent it from spinning on my Ries heads.

I've already got a WTB post up. I've never read about any piece of photographic equipment as universally beloved as the Sinar Pan Tilt head.

Luis-F-S
1-Dec-2016, 13:46
The leg lock system for the Craiglist tripod is not the current and is not as good. You're smart to hold out for a J. L

David Lindquist
2-Dec-2016, 13:30
It sounds like you've decided against this but I'll make a comment anyway. The method used on this model to clamp the lower leg makes switching between the spike end and the rubber bumper end rather fiddly. Referring to the sixth picture in, you have to remove the outer knob, push that square head bolt though and remove the clamping plate thingy before you can remove the leg. Then once the leg is removed, reversed and reinserted you have to reassemble the bolt-clamping thingy-knob at the rubber bumper end (now in the upper position). In picture 7 you can see the hole at the rubber bumper end that the bolt would go through. And of course you have to do this three times while watching the setting sun slowly fade off the crosses in that little church yard out there in New Mexico... Some Otto tripods used a similar arrangement.

David

dpn
2-Dec-2016, 15:07
Yeah, I have a well loved Ries Junior on the way. Glad I passed on this one!