PDA

View Full Version : Hello from smalltown Southern Georgia

morecfm
29-Nov-2016, 19:01
Hello, I'm new to large format. I took a photography class in high school many years ago and got hooked. Over the years, life and a growing family got in the way and my camera collected dust. So a few years ago I purchased a DSLR and sold my film gear. Later, I went to purchase an additional lens for my DSLR and the owner of the shop had a Bronica ETRS camera and I thought "wouldn't this be cool to use?" so I bought it and was hooked again. More medium format cameras later (TLR, Folders) I came across a Mamiya press camera bundled with an ancient Speed Graphic and Calumet monorail.

Now I was hooked on large format! I used the Speed Graphic but he monorail was too burdensome, for me, to lug around so I consigned that camera and acquired Horseman HF which I foresee getting a lot of use. I shoot mostly outdoors with my other cameras and this package will be used in the same way.

I look forward to perusing the forums here and reading up on various topics.

Two23
29-Nov-2016, 21:20
Nice start. You should be hitting 8x10 in about a year & half.:D

kent in SD

morecfm
29-Nov-2016, 22:13

kent in SD

This disease progresses?

Two23
29-Nov-2016, 22:19
This disease progresses?

:D:D:D

Kent in SD

Alan Gales
29-Nov-2016, 22:42
This disease progresses?

Yep! I started with 35mm and then digital, and medium format and then 4x5. I have an 8x10 now but I doubt I'll go larger. Still, 11x14 contact prints are pretty nice!

Welcome to the forum!

Leszek Vogt
30-Nov-2016, 00:58
Looks like Kent's cat picked up some of that too. Anyway, nice rig. Welcome to LF forum. Gees, haven't been to your neck of the woods (Okefenokee) and Folkston since....wow, that was 42yrs ago....when I ripped from Vegas to the Keys, NJ, PA and back....only 9100 miles in 30 days.

Les

Randy
1-Dec-2016, 11:22
Kent, I see you have the same problem I have...with cats and cameras...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/tippy8x10.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/IMG_0020a.jpg

morecfm
2-Dec-2016, 11:32
Alan, I'm originally from St. Louis. Is there a photo store up there that has any interesting film stuff besides the little bit at Creve Coeur Camera. I like Schiller's for preowned digital equipment. I'm usually up there a couple times a year.

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2016, 12:39
Alan, I'm originally from St. Louis. Is there a photo store up there that has any interesting film stuff besides the little bit at Creve Coeur Camera. I like Schiller's for preowned digital equipment. I'm usually up there a couple times a year.

Unfortunately, no.

I live in Brentwood so Schiller's is 5 minutes away from me. They are like Creve Coeur Camera and only have a little bit of new darkroom stuff (8x10 paper, chemicals, trays, tongs, etc.) and a bit of used gear. They had some used Hasselblads but I didn't see any the last time I was there. Just a few used 35mm cameras and used dslr's. They do sell 35mm and medium format roll film but no sheet film. No real film camera stores any longer in St. Louis. I really miss City Photo Stockhouse down by the Brewery and their large stock of used film gear!

There is a camera show put on at a local hotel a couple times a year. I went once and have been trying to go back. The last one just happened but I had caught a virus after I picked my grandson up from school. He caught it too. Mostly 35mm cameras for sale with a little medium format gear. One seller had a few large format lenses but nothing interesting. I did get a good deal on a Leitz Tiltall tripod.

Bob Salomon
2-Dec-2016, 13:55
Unfortunately, no.

I live in Brentwood so Schiller's is 5 minutes away from me. They are like Creve Coeur Camera and only have a little bit of new darkroom stuff (8x10 paper, chemicals, trays, tongs, etc.) and a bit of used gear. They had some used Hasselblads but I didn't see any the last time I was there. Just a few used 35mm cameras and used dslr's. They do sell 35mm and medium format roll film but no sheet film. No real film camera stores any longer in St. Louis. I really miss City Photo Stockhouse down by the Brewery and their large stock of used film gear!

There is a camera show put on at a local hotel a couple times a year. I went once and have been trying to go back. The last one just happened but I had caught a virus after I picked my grandson up from school. He caught it too. Mostly 35mm cameras for sale with a little medium format gear. One seller had a few large format lenses but nothing interesting. I did get a good deal on a Leitz Tiltall tripod.

Is OJ still there?

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2016, 14:23
Is OJ still there?

Yes. I just called them to make sure. The salesman said he had no large format cameras or lenses. For medium format he does have some Mamiya and Bronica 645 equipment.

morecfm
3-Dec-2016, 21:13
Atlanta, about 2 hours from here, has Wings Camera which has changing inventory of many interesting items.

There's a guy in Montgomery, AL, that also deals with vintage gear. I got some medium format stuff from him.

morecfm
3-Dec-2016, 21:16
Unfortunately, no.

I live in Brentwood so Schiller's is 5 minutes away from me.

Got to get a burger at Trainwreck across the street when I stop off at Schillers

bloodhoundbob
3-Dec-2016, 21:42
Yes. I just called them to make sure. The salesman said he had no large format cameras or lenses. For medium format he does have some Mamiya and Bronica 645 equipment.

Alan: Any good sources for processing 120 in St Louis these days? When I had my studio in Edwardsville, I sent my MF film to Meisel and Lisle Ramsey did my sheet film processing. I imagine they, as well as St Louis Photo, Jefferson Camera, et al, are just memories these days.

John Kasaian
4-Dec-2016, 08:25
Welcome aboard!

Alan Gales
4-Dec-2016, 16:19
Got to get a burger at Trainwreck across the street when I stop off at Schillers

Get you a Bison burger. They are known for them and have a big fiberglass Bison in the parking lot on a trailer.

I used to go to the Trainwreck when they were just a small local bar and George the owner used to tend bar. You would see guys in there in their work clothes and boots. It sure has changed. The food is good though!

Alan Gales
4-Dec-2016, 16:43
Alan: Any good sources for processing 120 in St Louis these days? When I had my studio in Edwardsville, I sent my MF film to Meisel and Lisle Ramsey did my sheet film processing. I imagine they, as well as St Louis Photo, Jefferson Camera, et al, are just memories these days.

I get my 120 film and 35mm slide film for my Stereo Realist developed at Schillers which is 5 minutes away. They don't handle sheet film though. I know Allied did develop 35mm, 120, and sheet film. They are still around. I haven't shot any 4x5 color in a while and I develop my 8x10 b&w myself.

Andrew O'Neill
5-Dec-2016, 14:21
Welcome to the forum, morecfm!

Alan Gales
6-Dec-2016, 14:51
I know Allied did develop 35mm, 120, and sheet film. They are still around.

Update: I just ran across something saying that Allied is quitting developing film this year. I checked their website and see no film developing mentioned and there is no longer a price list for developing.

bloodhoundbob
6-Dec-2016, 21:27
Update: I just ran across something saying that Allied is quitting developing film this year. I checked their website and see no film developing mentioned and there is no longer a price list for developing.

Thanks for the update, Alan.

morecfm
13-Dec-2016, 20:36
Couldn't resist this beast from my trip to Atlanta this weekend. Sold some stuff then this followed me home.

morecfm
7-Dec-2017, 19:04

kent in SD
Well I guess I'm heading in that direction! Saw a lens I wanted that was attached to a 5x7 B&J Grover in Michigan when I was there on business.

Decisions, decisions...get a few film holders and film or sell the camera w/o lens to get some of my outlay back?

AJ Edmondson
7-Dec-2017, 20:58
Welcome... I am in Yatesville (near Thomaston) and glad to hear that there is someone else in the neighborhood.
Joel

morecfm
19-Feb-2018, 11:16

kent in SD

I'm a little ahead of schedule. 8x10 coming soon.

LabRat
19-Feb-2018, 17:32
I'm a little ahead of schedule. 8x10 coming soon.

Then you better stay away from the "enablers" here, or you will own a camera as large as a doghouse (that you will be in)... ;-)

Steve K