PDA

View Full Version : Tripod & Carry-On

Peter Lewin
21-Nov-2016, 15:02
Will be visiting Austin TX around Christmas to spend 4 days with my daughter. While taking either my digital, Leica RF, or Rolleiflex is the easiest and most sensible option, my real love is my Canham 4x5, so what would be most fun would be the 4x5 plus my iPhone. For visits this short I have always flown with a carry-on bag and a small backpack. I can strip the 4x5 necessities down from my full Backpacker rig to fit a smaller bag, except for my Gitzo CF tripod, which won't fit inside either piece of luggage. I could make a rigid case for the tripod and check it, but that is getting expensive and increases the "hassle factor." Has anyone travelled with a tripod and carry-on only? Suggestions?

David Lobato
21-Nov-2016, 15:19
Early this year I saw a photographer with a medium sized carry on tripod. He had it in a soft case slung over his shoulder. I saw the Manfrotto label, asked him "Tripod?", and he nodded yes. You should check with your airline on their policies.

8 years ago I checked my heavy Gitzo 320 Studex in a Calumet soft case. I wrapped it with duct tape to bind the cloth case and made it easier to handle. It arrived in baggage just fine. Unfortunately the duct tape sticky glue remains all over the soft case.

I don't know if Austin has any places that would rent one?

Bob Salomon
21-Nov-2016, 15:43
TSA regulations ban carrying on any club like objects. That not only includes baseball bats but also things like mono pods and tripods. You best check with your airline. And if your departure airport TSA allow it Austin could disallow it. Why not avoid problems and just ship it to your destination and back. Then you avoid any possible last minute surprises.

Ari
21-Nov-2016, 16:04
Definitely check with the airline about bring a tripod on board.
I've used a number of travel-friendly FLM tripods, all 4-section, for LF work; the last one was a CP26-S4S, or CP-Compact.
The soon-to-be-released CP-Travel is even more compact, you can fit 3-4 of them in a carry-on, and more importantly, the CP-Travel passed my own tests with a Toyo monorail.
Just a suggestion.

faberryman
21-Nov-2016, 16:22
I just went to a large format workshop. Had my camera bag, computer bag, and tripod in its carry case with me on the plane. Nobody said a word from security to steward(ess).

Drew Wiley
21-Nov-2016, 16:57
So Bob, why do people routinely carry on their golf club bags? Yeah, they leave them in the front of the plane and not overhead. But they're even termed "clubs".
I've seen huge tripods and lightstands similarly taken aboard, collapsed. I've never faced the alleged dilemma myself, because my CF Gitzo neatly collapses into my regulation carry-on. Never an eyebrow raised from TSA. The only time I flew with a big wooden tripod, I did check it in at baggage. The only time I've ever
flown in and out of Texas, at Dallas, the airport security was so lax and inattentive that I was more afraid of getting on an unsafe flight.

Bob Salomon
21-Nov-2016, 17:02
So Bob, why do people routinely carry on their golf club bags? Yeah, they leave them in the front of the plane and not overhead. But they're even termed "clubs".
I've seen huge tripods and lightstands similarly taken aboard, collapsed. I've never faced the alleged dilemma myself, because my CF Gitzo neatly collapses into my regulation carry-on. Never an eyebrow raised from TSA. The only time I flew with a big wooden tripod, I did check it in at baggage. The only time I've ever
flown in and out of Texas, at Dallas, the airport security was so lax and inattentive that I was more afraid of getting on an unsafe flight.

Depends completely on the TSA agent that you get. But having been the distributor of Giottos, Linhof and Berlebach tripods I have had more then one tripod confiscated.

seabee1999
21-Nov-2016, 18:07
FWIW, I'd suggest getting another tripod solely for the purpose of travel. Personally I have three tripods, one general purpose tripod (Manfrotto 3021) for my 35mm, digital and MF gear, a larger one (Benro) for the LF gear and telephoto lenses, and a hiking/travel one for packing in the luggage (Manfrotto 3001). The smaller tripod does well with the smaller and medium formats.

R/
Dave

bill2424
21-Nov-2016, 18:10
I have carried my tripod on every flight I've ever taken and never been questioned about it. I don't have it in a bag and its not a small tripod. I've flown a lot in the states but also went to Japan, France and Italy in the last 2 years. I also carry my 4x5 and a backpack of film on the same flights.

jp
21-Nov-2016, 18:50
I'd suggest shipping it ahead (with film) rather than fly with it. if you have connecting flights, it's quite possible checked baggage won't make the connections exactly like you.

Leszek Vogt
21-Nov-2016, 20:09
Peter, you might be doing this chicken all wrong :>). I usually fly 2-3 times per year and I use a sizable (non-rip-nylon duffle). My Feisol tripod fits (w/o head) perfectly inside + other items, such as clothes, accessories, bla bla. Sure, I insulate it with various items and it goes below....and I bring the backpack inside the plane.

Yes, the TSA thing is all over the map....and I learned my lesson, since the tripod could be utilized as a "weapon" (in some folks view). Ha, what's worse is, that TSA may allow you to take it aboard, but object to it on the way back from Austin.

Les

Peter De Smidt
21-Nov-2016, 20:18
I just flew from Milwaukee to Dallas and back for a judo tournament, and I go to a number of tournaments around the country (and Canada) every year. I video my girls's matches. To do that I carry on a small bag with my camera gear, and I carry a Gitzo 1227. I pack the head in someone else's carry on. I put the tripod in the overhead bin. I've never had anyone question me about this, and I've done it for years.

jeroldharter
21-Nov-2016, 20:19
Go to a UPS store, have them box the tripod, ship it with a roll of packing tape inside, and save the box for re-shipping home.

Vaughn
22-Nov-2016, 00:37
Tripod
&
Carry
On

Would make a nice T-shirt...

stawastawa
22-Nov-2016, 01:08
I fly with my tripod severl times a year. It has spikes, but never a problem at security. Portland, New York, Boston, Burlington, Chicago, Denver.
I have had two carry on bags plus tripod and been fine.
My tripod is in a soft case which has an orange end. I have twice been asked if it is a gun. Silly people. But I appreciate "see something say something" policies.

~nicholas

howardpan
22-Nov-2016, 02:07
Well, I'm surprised to hear of all the incidences where people have been able to bring their tripods on to a flight. I had a small hexagonal wrench less than the size of my pinky almost confiscated at the Taipei airport last year. I made sure to have my tripods go in my checked luggage each time afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Pitman
22-Nov-2016, 03:37
There are some restrictions.

Drew Wiley
22-Nov-2016, 11:50
That figures. No wonder airline cabins always smell so stale !

LabRat
22-Nov-2016, 12:46
+1 with the duffle bag tripod transport... I carry an old Tiltall in a heavy canvas army surplus duffle with my clothes around it for padding and nobody cares about it in there when checked in to cargo below... ;-)

Steve K

mike rosenlof
23-Nov-2016, 07:11
Definitely nobody is going to care if you check it.

Last time I checked (2-3 months ago) the TSA web site said tripods are allowed. But. Agents at the security checkpoint have a lot of leeway to refuse to allow objects. And your airline can refuse it also. I put mine in checked luggage. I keep a tripod at my parents' house since I visit there fairly often. Actually, I keep a 4x5 camera at my parents' house. All I need to take there is film and a lens.

Drew Wiley
28-Nov-2016, 12:06
Checking it in is easy. The hard part is that you might never see it again! I've checked in big klunker wooden tripods in their own independent carry bag. Not the
kind of thing that sell on the street. But I wouldn't ever want a sexy modern-looking tripod inside a suitcase, any more than I'd put a camera in one. Too much
risk. Have already had enough problems with baggage handler pilferage and loss.

seezee
28-Nov-2016, 13:50
If you want to construct a cheap & rigid shipping tube, get some schedule 40 PVC pipe from the hardware store & put locking caps on the ends. Then ship or check it.

Drew Wiley
28-Nov-2016, 14:33
I use a big tube of PVC drainage pipe and endcaps for my big tripods in my truck. Doesn't look as tempting to smash n' grab as a cordura bag with a photo logo on it. Also keep me from getting stabbed with the spiked feet if I'm sleeping back there.

R.K
28-Nov-2016, 21:37
Tripods to carry on no problem. I just did it last Saturday from NY city to Costa Rica. I had a backpack with camera and tripod in the separate tripod carry bag.

Jim Andrada
3-Dec-2016, 18:05
Never had a problem carrying a tripod on dozens of flights. Maybe if I didn't also have a 4 x 5 Technika in my bag it would look strange, but with 35+ pounds of camera gear I think they'd be surprised if I didn't have a tripod.

DG 3313
4-Dec-2016, 17:57
My wife and I went to the Dallas area for Thanksgiving and I took my Gitzo 1228 on the plane. I packed my back pack full of 4x5 gear and it fit in the overhead without a hitch. A guy on the plane told me he should have taken his tripod when he saw mine.

Steven Tribe
8-Dec-2016, 02:53
Can't speak about the Americas, but tripods are definitely not allowed in the cabin in Europe. This has been in force for a very long time. Another item specifically mentioned are nail scissors!

chassis
11-Dec-2016, 17:37
If you want to construct a cheap & rigid shipping tube, get some schedule 40 PVC pipe from the hardware store & put locking caps on the ends. Then ship or check it.

I have used PVC pipe with threaded end caps to check fishing equipment on aircraft. It would work well for a tripod.