PDA

View Full Version : "Like" feature as possible response?

Peter Lewin
16-Nov-2016, 09:42
Couldn't find if this has already been asked: would it be possible to add a "thumbs up" "like" feature similar to that in Facebook? I'm thinking in particular of the image and question forums. Currently, if I see an image I really like, and the photographer has said he or she is open to comments, I can post a response saying how much I enjoy the photographer's work. Frequently, if someone else has already complimented the image, we post a "+1." My thought is that rather than clutter up the threads with additional posts, it would be more efficient if there was a "thumbs up" icon to simply click on that, so that the image would have a "liked" count (again, like FB) rather than a bunch of posts. This would also be relevant to questions, where if someone has already posted an answer we agree with, we could reinforce that response with a "thumbs up."

RSalles
16-Nov-2016, 09:56
I would like that. Sometimes I like an image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why...

Cheers,

Renato

Kirk Gittings
16-Nov-2016, 10:01
We looked into it some years ago. I would love that too. If I remember correctly, the guy that manages the software was concerned about future updates-in that it was an independent add on and might not keep up with the software updates of the base software.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Nov-2016, 10:03
Couldn't find if this has already been asked: would it be possible to add a "thumbs up" "like" feature similar to that in Facebook?

👍

Ralph Barker
16-Nov-2016, 12:41
As far as I can tell, there is still no equivalent of a "like button" (or other emoticons similar to those on FaceBook) available in the standard vBulletin software options that doesn't require a responsive post.

There was a "thanks" hack that was circulated some years back, but the original developer disappeared from the vBulletin scene. Subsequent support for the hack seems sketchy. It doesn't appear that it was a direct equivalent of the FB like button, though.

John Kasaian
18-Nov-2016, 07:38
I think that taking the time to post a "thanks" is time well spent because it takes an element of consideration and is more personal. Hitting a "like" button or emoticon makes the it less personal and more digital. My 2-cents anyway.

Willie
18-Nov-2016, 07:44
Seems foolish. If you want to comment, do so. Maybe taking time to actually think about a response will help clarify your thought process and result in more positive feedback for the photographer.

Kirk Gittings
18-Nov-2016, 08:40
Seems foolish. If you want to comment, do so. Maybe taking time to actually think about a response will help clarify your thought process and result in more positive feedback for the photographer.

Expediente. The time I have to spend here is very limited. I will always write a comment if the situation deserves it AND I have time.

Oren Grad
18-Nov-2016, 09:08
Those who have more to say and the time to say it would still be welcome to add full posts. Having this function would provide another option, is all.

We do appreciate the suggestion and we're taking a fresh look at the options for implementing such a function within our version of vBulletin to see whether it can be done at a reasonable cost and without materially affecting our maintenance burden.

goamules
18-Nov-2016, 09:35
I'm on another forum that has the Like feature. It works well to let people acknowledge that they agree, without having to write just that. It also gives a somewhat democratic tally as to whether something you write is off base, or on target. For example, if you write a post, and you get 4-5 likes, it is interesting. If you get NO likes, also interesting. Makes ya think, and all.....

It might also reduce the people quoting a large post with lots of photos, just to say "great shots!", bringing the same photos back up in the thread, over and over, and over....

Peter Lewin
19-Nov-2016, 09:52
It might also reduce the people quoting a large post with lots of photos, just to say "great shots!", bringing the same photos back up in the thread, over and over, and over....
Since I started this thread ... Garrett, you hit it on the head! Full posts with commentary or critique are great, a repeat of the picture with the one word "lovely," not so much. But if I agree that a picture is "lovely" I'm kind of stuck.

Oren Grad
19-Nov-2016, 10:08

Garrett, Peter - thanks, that's a very good point. I'm thinking especially of the impact on those members who don't have a fast web connection.

koraks
23-Nov-2016, 11:38
I'm on another forum that has the Like feature.
Me too. It doesn't seem to do much there, although some people perhaps actually take note of the number of likes. Doesn't seem to hurt, doesn't seem to add much value either.

goamules
30-Nov-2016, 13:23
See my rationale above. For people that don't look at it, it doesn't add value to them. Like any data.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Nov-2016, 15:58
👍
See my rationale above. For people that don't look at it, it doesn't add value to them. Like any data.

Sirius Glass
1-Dec-2016, 16:49
I finished junior high school over half a century ago. I do not need nor do I want to be involved in beauty poster contests. If one needs such attention, I recommend that they cover all the walls in the place where they live with floor to ceiling mirrors so that they can admire themselves as much as they like. Adding "likes" makes me want to BARF!!! :sick:

goamules
2-Dec-2016, 05:42
Again, it's a way to quickly note that you've read a certain post, without commentary that is sometimes Superfluous. It's not a popularity contest, it's a brevity feature. Think of it as a "Roger" statement on military radio, or an "agree".

For example, your type of reply is what we'd be trying to reduce, as well as the excessive one word "great!" or "I like it!" posts that take up 3 inches of screen at a minimum (about a whole screen if they are quoting an image to say that). Instead, if someone likes a photo or post, at the bottom of THAT POST it ads a simple marker. Simple, and no smoke, mirrors, or barf required.

Wayne
2-Dec-2016, 07:41
I'm on another forum that has the Like feature. It works well to let people acknowledge that they agree, without having to write just that. It also gives a somewhat democratic tally as to whether something you write is off base, or on target. For example, if you write a post, and you get 4-5 likes, it is interesting. If you get NO likes, also interesting. Makes ya think, and all.....

Why should anyone care how many people like what they write? Is it what they wanted to say or not? That's the only important thing.

sanking
2-Dec-2016, 19:09
I agree. Why should the Facebook mentality be grafted onto the LF Forum?

Barf! Barf! Barf! Let the LF Forum be the LF Forum.

Sandy

I finished junior high school over half a century ago. I do not need nor do I want to be involved in beauty poster contests. If one needs such attention, I recommend that they cover all the walls in the place where they live with floor to ceiling mirrors so that they can admire themselves as much as they like. Adding "likes" makes me want to BARF!!! :sick:

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 08:19
I don't think you guys "get" it.
It's simply a more streamlined way of writing +1 or that you enjoyed a photo, without writing out a longer reply. It has nothing to do with attention-seeking. Sheesh, let's dial back the Luddite-ism. If it were implemented, you don't have to use it.

faberryman
3-Dec-2016, 08:41
Luddite-ism? Disagreeing that a "Like" feature would be beneficial is being a Luddite?

If a Like button is implemented, I'd like to see an Unlike button implemented as well, for those times I disagree with someone's position, but don't have the time for a detailed response.

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2016, 08:50
We are currently testing a vBulletin "mod" distributed by DragonByte that adds a post-level thanks/like/dislike function. The "pro" version allows the addition of other buttons, as well.

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 08:50
Luddite-ism? Disagreeing that a "Like" feature would be beneficial is being a Luddite?

Opposing change / new technology for the sake of keeping things stagnant is, yes. Comparing the feature to being all about attention-seeking, Facebook mentality is a strawman fallacy and IMO indicative of the prevailing age on this forum.

We are currently testing a vBulletin "mod" distributed by DragonByte that adds a post-level thanks/like/dislike function. The "pro" version allows the addition of other buttons, as well.

Neat, should be interesting.

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2016, 09:02
FWIW, I own property in the desert where I am mining for Luddite. So far, I haven't found any, but the fact that I'm using a pick and shovel may speak for itself. ;)

DennisD
3-Dec-2016, 09:48

I LIKE this idea !

The whole idea is that a LIKE option is time saving, screen space saving and encourages interactivity.

It's always interesting and worthwhile to know others' reactions and this offers an option to do so in a concise fashion. If someone wants to say more, they can still do that, too.

I believe it's best to offer something thoughtful when commenting about images posted. Sometimes time does not permit a detailed comment or others have already made a point similar to mine. In such cases, a Like button is a good option.

I appreciate Peter Lewin's start of this thread and his suggestion. It's unfortunate that, in the interest of making his suggestion clear, using Facebook as an example turned a few people off.

Have no fear that this forum will ever become like Facebook ! However, I believe it's a great idea to encourage expression of opinion (whether via a "like" button or a posted comment) especially with regard to images and comments posted by forum members.

Vaughn
3-Dec-2016, 10:38
I am not thrilled with the idea, but will probably use such a feature and take note of the data created. In a way, it is used on APUG in their galleries -- by the number of views an image gets. Actually it makes it quite interesting to see which type of images get viewed the most (especially since people view images based on a small thumb print). The average number of views for female nudes is 5 times that of average images. Machines and dogs also seem to get higher than average views...maybe twice the average.

If it will keep people from reposting someones image over and over again just to say they like it, it will be a very positive thing.

Would a Changite be the opposite of a Luddite? (someone who promotes change just for the sake of change)

Wayne
3-Dec-2016, 12:40
Opposing change / new technology for the sake of keeping things stagnant is, yes. Comparing the feature to being all about attention-seeking, Facebook mentality is a strawman fallacy and IMO indicative of the prevailing age on this forum.

Neat, should be interesting.

I use the Like feature on some other forums but it adds very little. You can predict who will like your posts and who won't. I'll bet 80% of my likes come from the same 20% of the people, and I know the likes I give out go to primarily the same 20%. I can predict right now that relatively few people here will "like" my posts, but when I come to the forum I will see the smart popular people with smart popular opinions and all the "likes" they accumulate and they will all see how dumb and unloved I am. :) If you think this doesn't set up a sort of popularity-clique mentality you're overdue for an eye exam.

How about this: a "like" function that only the person being liked can see? If the Like really functions as its proponents say it does (which it doesn't), this would satisfy both them and most of the people who don't want a Like funcation. You can like someone's post and nobody else will know it except them. Nobody will know how popular other people's opinions are and nobody will be be reminded of it every day, and nobody with unpopular opinions will have that fact verified and advertised every time they post.

faberryman
3-Dec-2016, 13:15

So opposing a Dislike button would also be Luddite?

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 16:57
popularity-clique mentality

I don't agree with you at all. And that comes from a guy often on the unpopular opinions side here I think. But really what does it matter? Personally, I mostly like the idea of a quick and easy Like button for images. Sometimes I don't want to comment or have anything specific to say, I just enjoyed a photo. I also sometimes don't want to comment on the same person's stuff 4-5 times in a row if they post multiple images in multiple threads, etc.

So opposing a Dislike button would also be Luddite?

What are you even trying to get at?

Wayne
3-Dec-2016, 16:59
I would like that. Sometimes I like an image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why...

Cheers,

Renato

If you feel the need to express it you could say "I like that image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why". That's a more meaningful and thought-provoking comment than a mere Like would give.

Peter Lewin
3-Dec-2016, 17:18
If you feel the need to express it you could say "I like that image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why". That's a more meaningful and thought-provoking comment than a mere Like would give.
Let's go to a "picture is worth a 1000 words." Look at the November 2016 Portrait sub-forum, pages 4 through 6. There were two portraits that I really liked and wanted to let the photographer know, but without reposting the picture, or using a post to simply say "I like this a lot." Look at the posts from Robin-SUN and Pali K (both of which I would have "liked") and see how many times the images were re-posted, and the comments given. They were the images and re-posts I had in mind when I started this thread. So I for one would appreciate and use a button.

faberryman
3-Dec-2016, 17:23
What are you even trying to get at?
You said that opposing a Like button was Luddite, and reflected the age of APUG posters. I asked a simple question. Would opposing a Dislike button also be Luddite?

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 17:30
Well first of all, wrong forum. Secondly, being smarmy doesn't help anything. I didn't oppose a dislike button, so again what are you trying to get at, that I only want a Like button? I don't care if they implement both. I see more uses for a Like button though, specifically in reference to images as Peter has summarized above. Though if you feel like going and disliking images, have at it.

faberryman
3-Dec-2016, 17:40
I think the point is you dismissed the opinions of those who were not in favor of a Like button using the pejorative term Luddite, and further implied that they were objecting to the Like button because they were old. There are perfectly valid reasons for objecting to a Like button that have nothing to do with age or technophobia. The proposed Like button is not limited to images, but covers other posts as well. If we had a Dislike button, I could have just Disliked your statement, and you in turn could have Disliked mine, and each gone about our business without unnecessary back and forth.

Are you sure you know what smarmy means? It means ingratiating and wheedling in a way that is perceived as insincere or excessive. For example, a Like button might be used in a smarmy manner.

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 17:42
Sure, you are absolutely correct. And therefore...aren't you just proving that a like/dislike button could be nice?

That being said, the negativity of a dislike button I think is more controversial and debatable truly. Facebook does not have a dislike button so as to keep negativity to a minimum.

And if you've got some valid reasons that you'd like to share, feel free to add them. I don't think you've actually added any kind of reasoning to oppose or agree.

faberryman
3-Dec-2016, 17:49
Sure, you are absolutely correct. And therefore...aren't you just proving that a like/dislike button could be nice?

I am not proving anything; I am offering a point of view.

Corran
3-Dec-2016, 17:49
As is everyone else.

goamules
4-Dec-2016, 06:12
Here is my "unpopularity" take on it. A lot of the more active members here have a lot of posts that are non photo related diatribes about things like....well...this new idea. Or bears in the wilderness, or how to defend yourself when shooting LF at night, in Compton, while wearing a Confederate Flag. These people live for the debate, but since politics is disallowed, they want to criticize any new idea. They know better than to criticize the work, technique, or equipment of photographers very often. So they spend thousands of hours debating the forum itself, and whether moderation is too much, if the font sizes are too large, or if a Like button is needed. Be assured that ANY new idea will be slammed by these types of people, who generally take it to a personal level their first or second post. In a nutshell, they don't debate the idea like an educated adult, they cry, moan, and attack the person, like little cyber bullies in their parent's basements.

I only check into the LF forum occasionally anymore, because of all that. And because I'd rather DO something other than WRITE about what someone ELSE is about to do. The moderators here are good, and the members that want a better forum are good. The photographers are good. It's not too hard to figure out the goal of some that just come on to write a criticism and start an argument.

SIMPLE FIX: Call it a "concur" button. That shifts the feedback to the content, instead of the author.

To those worried about the popular kids, note that the way forums use a "Like" is not to create that. You don't "accrue likes" and wear them like medals on a uniform. I've never seen a count of how many likes a person has. You "like" a post, picture, or thought. It's about the idea/work, not the person. I seldom notice who the writer even is, a lot of us use handles or pseudonyms. And in polite society until the recent anonymity of the internet, you compliment a photographer in a gallery if you like their work. If you don't, you politely say nothing, and leave. What the nay-sayers are trying to do here, is stop people from having the ability to quickly "shake the person's hand" or "nod and smile."

Robert Brazile
4-Dec-2016, 06:48
I would click on a like button if it existed now for Garrett's last post, but will simply say that the last paragraph speaks for me as well.

Robert

DennisD
4-Dec-2016, 07:49
I would click on a like button if it existed now for Garrett's last post, but will simply say that the last paragraph speaks for me as well.

Robert

Thank you, Robert. My feelings exactly.

Thank you, Garrett, well stated - especially last paragraph.

Dennis

Ralph Barker
4-Dec-2016, 09:16
Part of the issue here is that not everyone understands, or takes advantage of the features of the forum software.

At the top of each thread is the following header:

If you click on "Display" different thread display modes can be selected:

Although the system default is the Linear view, Threaded or Hybrid displays are options. In the threaded view, only a hierarchical view of the thread is displayed (along with the first post in the thread), showing who responded to whom, depending on whether the person responding clicked on "Reply" or "Reply with Quote" under the post to which they are responding, or clicked "Reply to Thread". Clicking on an item in that display will show that post.

In the "Hybrid" display mode, the hierarchical view is displayed, along with all posts in a linear mode:

Thus, quoting the post to which one is responding (and, thus, displaying the image again) isn't really necessary - IF the original poster switches to Threaded or Hybrid mode to see who responded to their post. But, in the Linear view, it gets very confusing.