PDA

View Full Version : Help with Zone Vl enlarger

dentkimterry
11-Nov-2016, 07:35
My local art institute was donated a complete Zone Vl enlarger with lens boards, timer/controller and some neg boards including one that kind of stretches a 4x5 negative? The whole thing was disassembled and in storage for years. It came with the installation manual and I have it put together and everything seems to work. Being it is a 5x7 enlarger it incouraged the photo dept chair to seek out a 5x7 neg carrier for it as the institute has nothing this large in their darkroom. I ended up finding one for them and they purchased it. In addition to the carrier it came with what appears to be some kind of lens cone. I find no mention of this is any literature that came with it and can not figure out its use. The bolt pattern doesn't match a lens board or anything else I can find on the enlarger. I have included a couple pics of it.

RichardRitter
11-Nov-2016, 08:01
It is an extension, adapter lens board for 180mm and \or 210mm lenses when using the 8 x 10 head

neil poulsen
11-Nov-2016, 08:09
Is there one vertical post, or are there two vertical posts that support the lens stage?

Be aware that there are two versions of this enlarger, and the best way to tell them apart is by the number of vertical posts that support the lens stage. If one post, then you have the Type I enlarger. If two posts, then you have the larger, Type II enlarger.

If you're shopping for parts, you don't want to purchase negative carriers for the wrong version. To give you an idea, the long dimension of negative carriers for the Type II, Zone VI enlarger is 15 3/4 inches.

Don't lose track of, or sell the extension, unless you don't need it. It's extremely rare. I doubt that you would ever find another.

cowanw
11-Nov-2016, 09:05
How does that extension work? i.e. Which end connects to the enlarger and which to the lens flange?

dentkimterry
11-Nov-2016, 10:01
It is an extension, adapter lens board for 180mm and \or 210mm lenses when using the 8 x 10 head

So this isn't needed for the 5x7 head?

dentkimterry
11-Nov-2016, 10:03
Is there one vertical post, or are there two vertical posts that support the lens stage?

Be aware that there are two versions of this enlarger, and the best way to tell them apart is by the number of vertical posts that support the lens stage. If one post, then you have the Type I enlarger. If two posts, then you have the larger, Type II enlarger.

If you're shopping for parts, you don't want to purchase negative carriers for the wrong version. To give you an idea, the long dimension of negative carriers for the Type II, Zone VI enlarger is 15 3/4 inches.

Don't lose track of, or sell the extension, unless you don't need it. It's extremely rare. I doubt that you would ever find another.

I won't be seeing this enlarger until next Tuesday to check the type. You mean the type 1 and 2 use different lens boards?

dentkimterry
11-Nov-2016, 10:04
How does that extension work? i.e. Which end connects to the enlarger and which to the lens flange?

I can't see any way to connect it to this enlarger.

neil poulsen
11-Nov-2016, 11:05
I won't be seeing this enlarger until next Tuesday to check the type. You mean the type 1 and 2 use different lens boards?

Yes. The Type II lensboards were round and quite a bit larger, specifically to accommodate larger lenses for 8x10. By the way, that's another way to distinguish between Type I and II, Zone VI enlargers. Type I enlargers have oval lensboards w/no holes.

I just took a closer look at the extension. If this fits your enlarger, you have a Type I enlarger. The "oval" part fits right into the enlarger, after which you tighten two screws (on the enlarger) on either side of the mounted extension.

dentkimterry
11-Nov-2016, 11:13
Yes. The Type II lensboards were round and quite a bit larger, specifically to accommodate larger lenses for 8x10. By the way, that's another way to distinguish between Type I and II, Zone VI enlargers. Type I enlargers have oval lensboards w/no holes. Type II enlargers have larger, round lensboards with three holes in them.

I just took a closer look at the extension. If this fits your enlarger, you have a Type I enlarger. The "oval" part fits right into the enlarger, after which you tighten two screws (on the enlarger) on either side of the mounted extension.

Sounds like I have Type ll lens boards by your description. And the extension I have is for a type l. Are the negative carriers different between the two types?

neil poulsen
11-Nov-2016, 23:04
Sounds like I have Type ll lens boards by your description. And the extension I have is for a type l. Are the negative carriers different between the two types?

Yes, they are different sizes. The Type I enlarger is actually an oversized 4x5 enlarger and can't be used effectively for 5x7 film. The Type II enlarger designed by Calumet after they purchased Zone VI corrected this problem by increasing the size of the head, and thereby, also increased the size of the chassis. (Larger chassis, larger negative carrier.)

I used to have both enlargers and sold the Type I. So, I don't have a Type I negative carrier to measure. But, if the long dimension is smaller than 15 3/4" by an appreciable amount, it's a Type I negative carrier.

It might be of interest to know that I was able to take the lower half of a spare Type II negative carrier, have a properly positioned, 5"x5" square cut in it in it, and now can use that as an adapter to use Omega 4x5 D5 series negative carriers with my Type II Zone VI enlarger. When in use, the Type II, 5x7 head completely covers the Omega negative carrier. Type II glass negative carriers are impossible to find. (Too rare.) Using this adapter, I can use an Omega, 4x5 glass negative carrier on the Type II enlarger. (Omega D5, glass negative carriers are relatively easy to find.)

stawastawa
12-Nov-2016, 00:32
Sounds like you found negative carriers and solved the lens board question.
If you need more lens boards you can have them machined by the universities machine shop - there should be a thread around here that has more information about that. I went through a similar process for my University and can dig up information too if you need it.

`nicholas

dentkimterry
15-Nov-2016, 17:20
I have determined that this is a Type 2 enlarger and the accessory 5x7 neg carrier is type 1. I seems to work but is not very stable. A bigger issue I have discovered tonight is the plastic column track is damaged is several spots. Sections are virtually gone. It is very delicate in spots and looks as it would crumble very easily. Is there a replacement available for this? Something tells me there isn't. I can't believe they made the track out of plastic! It appears the head can just be shoved up and down the column but this isn't a very precise way to work.

Luis-F-S
15-Nov-2016, 18:29
I don't recall the track specifically, but build quality is why I sold mine and bought a Durst.

L

Keith Pitman
15-Nov-2016, 18:49
Contact Richard Ritter about the material to replace the focusing track. It would be helpful to post here whenyou ID the replacement product.

Payral
16-Nov-2016, 01:53
I asked same question to Richard Ritter and here is his answer:

Part is made by W. M.Berg www.berg.com
Part number is 24GCF-xx it is called a Flex-E-gear

dentkimterry
22-Nov-2016, 19:29
I asked same question to Richard Ritter and here is his answer:

Part is made by W. M.Berg www.berg.com
Part number is 24GCF-xx it is called a Flex-E-gear

I can't make out anything on that website. Looks like it's all electronic connections and such. Flex e gear in the search bar returned nothing.

Payral
23-Nov-2016, 01:20
http://www.wmberg.com/products/belts-and-chains