PDA

View Full Version : Vintage racing on film

ScottPhotoCo
8-Nov-2016, 12:39
Hello all. I wasn't sure where to put this as it covers a lot of different categories so I thought I'd try here. Mods, feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

This series was shot on 4x5, 6x6 and *gasp* 35mm (it was raining quite heavily throughout the day so 35 was my only option on hand for the really wet times). Shot on a mix of Tri-X and Foma 200 films processed in XTOL 1:1. Toned in post. 4x5 = Graflex Auto Graphic. 6x6 = Rolleiflex 2.8f. 35mm is a mix of Nikon F, Nikon F4s and a resale shop $5 Canon waterproof camera.

http://www.scottphoto.co/blog/2016/11/3/the-world-needs-more-gentlemen

bob carnie
8-Nov-2016, 13:01
Hi Tim

Did you meet Bryan Helm at this event?, I believe he was recording the same timeline, I may be wrong but really cool photo's.

ScottPhotoCo
8-Nov-2016, 13:02
Hi Tim

Did you meet Bryan Helm at this event?, I believe he was recording the same timeline, I may be wrong but really cool photo's.

Bob,

I met a ton of people. Horrible with names. I may have. :confused:

jp
8-Nov-2016, 13:06
Fun!
This happens on the east coast too, but too far away from me to conveniently visit.

bob carnie
8-Nov-2016, 13:08
Bryan is very much into photographing motorcycle culture, he is a great guy to boot , works out of New York but has strong links to your neck of the woods.

DrTang
8-Nov-2016, 13:29
this was shot on 5x7 glass plate

https://flic.kr/p/c95aWQ

ScottPhotoCo
8-Nov-2016, 13:43
this was shot on 5x7 glass plate

https://flic.kr/p/c95aWQ

Super cool. I love this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabee1999
8-Nov-2016, 17:56
Once again, I have to say I love this set of images. They are very well done and tell a very good story.

R/
Dave

RSalles
8-Nov-2016, 20:12
That's great! Enjoyed the pics, the project, the mood.

Cheers,

Renato

Tin Can
8-Nov-2016, 20:29
Great stuff. Love it.

Liked the tow truck...:)

Ron (Netherlands)
9-Nov-2016, 11:55
Lovely project! Great pictures!

Tin Can
9-Nov-2016, 17:59
Yes, lovely. Old men celebrate survival. Many of my friends can not.

Watch this vintage film set to a minor key song. https://youtu.be/tizwFMo85Ms

Then read a Sterling Moss' book about pre-seat belts open car racing. He crashed and would bend the steering wheel into a pretzel while choosing the best moment to eject from the tumbling car.

I have crashed, big time.

Mark Sampson
9-Nov-2016, 18:59
Nice work, well done sir. Not the vintage racing that I'm used to... but lots of fun I'm sure!

JeRuFo
10-Nov-2016, 07:15
Awesome stuff, Tim. Really caught the mood well and the style is totally in spirit of the event.

What kind of lenses do you use on your graflex? Most of them have a Heliar look. I've seen some car shots from you before and I love the look of them. Ofcourse most of it is down to the way you shoot, but your lenses render nicely too.

JMB
10-Nov-2016, 12:30
Awesome! Absolutely awesome! Lord. I was out there for the first time ever a few months back and drove my VW Bus all around the beach --and man I was in heaven --certainly as close as I'll ever get. Cool.

ScottPhotoCo
10-Nov-2016, 12:33
Thanks all for the kind words. My biggest goal for this event was to try to find a way to share just how cool it was to be there. The feel of it, in photographs anyway. Even in the rain this event was special.

ScottPhotoCo
10-Nov-2016, 12:37
Awesome stuff, Tim. Really caught the mood well and the style is totally in spirit of the event.

What kind of lenses do you use on your graflex? Most of them have a Heliar look. I've seen some car shots from you before and I love the look of them. Of course most of it is down to the way you shoot, but your lenses render nicely too.

The Graflex has the original B&L 4x5 Tessar 1c mounted. I love this set-up. The Rollei has the 2.8 Planar and the Nikon I have no idea what the lens formula is but its a 50mm 1.4 from the 60's era.

Winger
10-Nov-2016, 17:39
Those are great, Scott! There's a wonderful feel to them.

I also wandered around your other projects while I was there and I loved the "light" group.. Great shots in there, too.

Pali K
11-Nov-2016, 05:42
Really enjoyed these Scott. Wonderfully captured and shown.

Pali

hoffy
16-Nov-2016, 02:33
These are awesome and right up my alley! I really like what you are doing!