PDA

View Full Version : Did Saunders make a 20x24 VT V Track Model?

dodphotography
5-Nov-2016, 11:19
Hey everyone,

In my initial research I've only seen reference to 11x14 and 16x20 VT V-Track model easels. I'm trying to find old catalogs and such and figured I'd reach out here and see if anyone can confirm that.

Thanks all.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Goldstein
5-Nov-2016, 12:40
The 4-pager I have that describes all the available Saunders easels lists only the 11x14 and 16x20 V-Track models.

dodphotography
5-Nov-2016, 12:40
The 4-pager I have that describes all the available Saunders easels lists only the 11x14 and 16x20 V-Track models.

That's what I thought as well. Thanks for confirming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob carnie
5-Nov-2016, 12:53
Too bad I would love a 20 x24 version

Robert Opheim
6-Nov-2016, 18:03
Saunders did make larger 4-blade easels. I have on that will easily handle 20x24 and a size larger if not using the slots.

Luis-F-S
6-Nov-2016, 18:31
But not V Track

Robert Opheim
6-Nov-2016, 20:26
Yes the one I have I think is the "Universal"

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2016, 09:16
Your question: Nope. But the original pro universal easel was better built anyway. I have several of them.

bob carnie
7-Nov-2016, 10:14
I have the saunders 20 x24 easels and they are nowhere as nice as the Vtrack

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2016, 10:34
I could build a masking easel ten times better than either of them, and just might have to because of the size I need. Done it before; can do it again. But everything costs money.

bob carnie
7-Nov-2016, 11:00
I could build a masking easel ten times better than either of them, and just might have to because of the size I need. Done it before; can do it again. But everything costs money.

Ok how much? I will order a 30 x40 and a 20 x24 easel for me if you can keep it in line.

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2016, 11:50
Well, I just can't realistically put up the cash myself yet. I'm right at the start of an expensive house remodel. But making two 30x40's really isn't much harder than making one. Precision linear bearing devices of course. I'd have to look at my notes on materials. My current 30x40 masking system is on a massive vac easel and the adjustable blades are pin registered to a perimeter, so the whole device is way too heavy to transfer onto my Durst L184 easel, and frankly, a bit slow to use. The big additive enlarger gives wonderful color but is a bit temperamental due to all the unusual electronics. So I need to Durst as a more predictable backup color machine. I might get lucky and stumble onto a programmable linear stepper system; but finding those in matched sets and the capability of true right angle linearity takes some patience. It's not like just positioning a stop. You need some backbone behind it. Of course, used CNC systems are common and can hypothetically be cannibalized. But I've got no shop time or space available at the moment. I'll be happy if I even get a chance to sneak
into the darkroom a few times over the holidays. Once they hold my public hanging (retirement party) in the middle of Dec, they'll probably just pay me off and
send me home for the rest of the year, as the custom is around here. But my tile guy it itchy to get started. I'll do the finish carpentry, paint work etc, things not so likely to stir up my finger tendonitis. We've got piles of travertine laying all over the living room floor right now!

ic-racer
7-Nov-2016, 11:59
My Saunders Clutch Drive 20x24 is pretty rock solid and smooth. Hard to imagine anything much better.

agregov
7-Nov-2016, 12:00
My 11x14 VTrack is easily my favorite easel. I've worked on 16x20 VTracks and they're nice, but heavy buggers. And they take up the same amount of enlarger baseboard as a 20x24 easel. If you use an enlarger with a smaller baseboard (like a Saunders 4500), you can't print 16x20 efficiently. The 16x20 VTrack butts up against the 4500 enlarger column. I'd guess there are no issues with baseboard fit with the Omega D series, but I'll leave others to comment. IMO, I find a standard Saunders 16x20 easel a bit more conducive to a smaller home darkroom setup (lighter, fits easier under smaller enlarger setups). For 20x24, I've recently started using a Beseler 20x24 easel. Not quite as nice as Saunders VTracks. But the easel does have a spring mechanism that allows it to stay open on its own. I prefer it to the Saunders 20x24 easel. It is heavier than the Saunders (a minus). But I believe they still are available new.

bob carnie
7-Nov-2016, 12:07
My Saunders Clutch Drive 20x24 is pretty rock solid and smooth. Hard to imagine anything much better.

This one looks pretty much brand new condition, mine have seen the wars ,with lots of moves over the years... I wish mine looked like this, I have to tape the blades into square position everytime I use it if my masking is important.

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2016, 12:33
Works fine in 20x24; but 30x40 or 40x60 is a whole different league in terms of the stress put on the system and trying to keep it square. Plus someone might need to use it in vertical orientation and not just flat on a table.

mbuonocore
8-Nov-2016, 09:10
I wish Saunders made Vtrack easels in 20x24 - it's quite baffling that they didn't back in the heyday. I guess it would be massive, but so what. You can't compare them to anything else in the Saunders range, no way.

Kienzle in Germany does make big easels to spec. They look lovely, and at one point I wanted a 30x40, but the low Canadian dollar kept me from pulling the trigger. They might be worth looking at if you have the resources.

ic-racer
8-Nov-2016, 09:44
This one looks pretty much brand new condition
It was a little restoration project of mine. Since these are so well made and expensive, the work was worth it.

bob carnie
8-Nov-2016, 09:52
It was a little restoration project of mine. Since these are so well made and expensive, the work was worth it.

I wish I could send mine to you , what a great job you did.

Luis-F-S
8-Nov-2016, 10:39
I wish I could send mine to you , what a great job you did.

Yup, I wish IC would do work for many of us! Sooner or later, he's go to run out of his own projects and maybe could help with some of ours! L