PDA

View Full Version : Female tripod holder

Milonian
30-Oct-2016, 02:24
I have a Lancaster Instantograph but it has no way of securing it to a (modern) tripod. The base was in 5 pieces (now restored)and this I think was caused by someone attaching an alternative part (from a 1930s aircraft - I found the specs online) using three small screws. I suspect no pilot holes were drilled - no pun intended! - and this caused the mahogany to split.
Fast forward - I know you can get 3/8 to 1/4 reducers easily online. Is this what is used? I've tried looking at my Century Grand but it's hard to tell because of the leather covering. I would think just letting an adapter into the base would not be stable and some sort of fixing plate would be necessary.
Any info appreciated - or directions to thread etc. My searching skills must be woeful as I can't find anything.

Willie
30-Oct-2016, 06:46
And here I thought you were getting an assistant like Edward Weston had?

Milonian
30-Oct-2016, 07:29

I should be so lucky!

pjd
30-Oct-2016, 07:57
The adapters work fine for me with plate cameras up to 13x18, but the base having previously split into five pieces doesn't sound promising. Most of the plate cameras I've got have metal bodies, too. A photo of what you've got might help generate some suggestions.

Kirk Gittings
30-Oct-2016, 07:58

:) me too!

Jac@stafford.net
30-Oct-2016, 08:38
Within this group is a very recent discussion regarding making a new add-on plate for the camera. If you don't find it with a search let us know.

IanG
30-Oct-2016, 11:19
The original fitting would have been 1/4, I used the one off my scrap Instograph parts camera when I built a MF field camera early September.

A reducer would be fine it's a light camera.

Ian

plaubel
30-Oct-2016, 13:22
Within this group is a very recent discussion regarding making a new add-on plate for the camera. If you don't find it with a search let us know.

Jac, did you mean my horseshoe technique?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?129558-Pacemaker-wobbling-tripod-mount&p=1322431#post1322431

Ritchie

Milonian
31-Oct-2016, 12:11
The combination of replies here - all very welcome and appreciated - has led me to think I might try either a completely new base (that was always Plan B) or I may try to strengthen what's there with perhaps an interior mahogany plate. For either of these I'll probably try a reducer as they have been given the "thumbs up".
Many thanks to all.

Jac@stafford.net
31-Oct-2016, 12:33
Jac, did you mean my horseshoe technique?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?129558-Pacemaker-wobbling-tripod-mount&p=1322431#post1322431

Ritchie

That would work, Ritchie!

RJ-
31-Oct-2016, 17:43
The combination of replies here - all very welcome and appreciated - has led me to think I might try either a completely new base (that was always Plan B) or I may try to strengthen what's there with perhaps an interior mahogany plate. For either of these I'll probably try a reducer as they have been given the "thumbs up".
Many thanks to all.

Hi there,

That's very possible: of the three wooden 19th century plate cameras I've adapted, three of them have dedicated modern plates in order to use standard tripod heads. One is a triple arm bracket (custom made from mahogany) to anchor between the raised metal brackets - it is removable in order to allow the lens assembly to be retained.

Another iteration uses a circular sawn metal disc to replace the spinning tripod plate with a 3/8th inch drilled hole using a female screw adapter. It is functional although not very pleasing to look at. The third version I assembled using metal work spares - a 50mm circular disc with a pre-threaded 1/4inch whitworth screw mount.

If you follow the lines of a purist, the wooden tripod holder types have a disc bracket glued in the under surface of the tripod head. 1/4 inch whitworth female threads (approximately 40mm long) are available and easy to bolt through the wood disc in order to form a foundation to mount any standard Manfrotto ball head for convenience should you wish to do away with the purist approach, or to mount a flat board like the Gandolfi style wooden tripods which are large enough to support the complete base of the plate camera.

I'm sure I had photographic examples in the ancient Wholeplate pages which I succeeded in locking myself out of by forgetting the password for 6 years .....!

Good luck!

RJ

IanG
1-Nov-2016, 04:11
Many thanks to all.

I have a base spare :D I might be able to re-fit the tripod mount as I have two spares as well . . . . . . . .

Ian

IanG
1-Nov-2016, 07:02
I have a base spare :D I might be able to re-fit the tripod mount as I have two spares as well . . . . . . . .

Ian

Turns out I didn't use the tripod mount, I'd taken one from another old quarter plate base board. I can also tell you why yours had been changed - it's not the usual 1/4" tripod mount on the QP Instagraph it's much smaller more like 1/8".

Ian

Milonian
6-Nov-2016, 00:19
Thanks RJ and IanG for further comments.

Jerry Bodine
6-Nov-2016, 11:43
... an assistant like Edward Weston had?

That was a female BIpod.

Fr. Mark
28-Dec-2016, 14:03
I'm not familiar with the camera we are discussing but I made a custom fit plywood tray for a 1/2 plate camera to sit in tightly and the tray has the bushing or adapter to the modern 1/4-20 tripod screw. I lined the tray with red felt. Due to the sides on the tray the camera can be used at pretty severe departures from level, though I never really use it that way. The sides on the tray have cut outs so the focusing knobs can be easily used etc.

Fr. Mark
28-Dec-2016, 14:05
PS I might be persuaded to believe Weston's female assistant may have held/carried the tripod...when she wasn't the model on the sand dunes.

jp
28-Dec-2016, 14:57
Some of Weston's females taught him some photography too.

is an option if you want a big plate with both 1/4 and 3/8 threaded holes and it might be big enough to span multiple pieces of wood if the camera frame is too fragile for a single point of connection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1-4-3-8-Tripod-BasePlate-Mount-Cheese-Plate-fr-DSLR-RIG-Camera-BMCC-/331140076732

Luis-F-S
28-Dec-2016, 15:57

++++1!!!!!!

Bruce Watson
28-Dec-2016, 16:57
"Female tripod holder"...

I thought I was going to have one. Had almost talked my wife into carrying the tripod when we went hiking up the mountains. But in the end she refused. But hey, at least she was willing to A) carry our lunches and some extra water, and B) go at all. Though she usually carried a book to read while she waited for me to make a photograph or two with my 5x4 rig. There are some snaps (somewhere) of her sunning herself on rocks reading paperbacks; I remember a particularly nice one from Joshua Tree I used to call "Lady in the Rocks" from over near Barker's Dam for any of you who've been there.

So yes, I firmly support the idea of "female tripod holders" even if I've never met one.

Milonian
28-Dec-2016, 23:59
Thanks to all for replies, especially the ones about female assistants. Much more entertaining!
I've decided it's not going near a tripod as the base really isn't strong enough as things stand. The offer of a new base is appreciated but that would mean only the box and front standard were original. It wouldn't be a refurb; it would be a renewal (the back was missing when I got it and I was very pleased to source one on this site).
I think I'll advertise for a female assistant - maybe in WTB here! ;)

premortho
19-Jan-2017, 10:33
My grand-daughter is only four, but she says she wants to be my tripod helper when she gets to be "a big girl". She thinks a big girl is about six or so.

Drew Bedo
25-Jan-2017, 05:54
Haven't read all the thread: Can't hold back the stupid remark though.

Didn't Ansel Adams actually have a female tripod-holder?