PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff gone from eBay?

Willie
27-Oct-2016, 12:30
The Deardorff company has been selling parts and pieces on eBay for some time. They are missing there now. For awhile there have been no parts from the company at all.

Is the company out of business completely?

I know with eBay if you ordered, paid and the product was not delivered you as a vendor would be cut off. Hope that is not what happened as the eBay route was an excellent way to get a lot of the smaller pieces and parts without having the hassle of trying to deal with the company directly.

Anyone know if Deardorff is still in business?

bloodhoundbob
27-Oct-2016, 13:08
The Deardorff company has been selling parts and pieces on eBay for some time. They are missing there now. For awhile there have been no parts from the company at all.

Is the company out of business completely?

I know with eBay if you ordered, paid and the product was not delivered you as a vendor would be cut off. Hope that is not what happened as the eBay route was an excellent way to get a lot of the smaller pieces and parts without having the hassle of trying to deal with the company directly.

Anyone know if Deardorff is still in business?

Willie: I met with Cochran's attorney in small claims court Tuesday. Although he would not come out and say it, I am guessing he is no longer in business, if my reading between the lines is correct.

Luis-F-S
27-Oct-2016, 14:07
Mixed feelings. I know a lot of people had a lot of issues with him, but it was very convenient to buy parts through Ebay, since at least the funds were safe if the order was not shipped.

bloodhoundbob
27-Oct-2016, 14:17
I will say, that having seen his parts inventory, that only a fraction of it has been sold on eBay. I have no idea what he plans to do with his inventory, as I did not get a chance to speak with him. I would love to have some of the original blueprints, etc., that I saw.Very cool stuff!

LabRat
27-Oct-2016, 18:45
Maybe he will sell the business???

Steve K

Willie
27-Oct-2016, 18:55

Steve K

I've got $82 and a 74 Saab Sonnet. Wonder if that puts me at the head of the line?

bloodhoundbob
27-Oct-2016, 19:13

Steve K

Steve: When I met with him a year ago, he was more than willing to listen to serious offers, but it's obvious to me that such an offer hasn't been made. It's sad to think that this might be the end of the line for Deardorff cameras (except for the haters, of course).

Bob Salomon
28-Oct-2016, 06:16

Steve K

If he has declared bankruptcy the trustee would sell off the assets. At that point the debtor has no choice, but he could offer the largest bid at the auction and win all the assets back without further debt.

djdister
28-Oct-2016, 06:59
Steve: When I met with him a year ago, he was more than willing to listen to serious offers, but it's obvious to me that such an offer hasn't been made. It's sad to think that this might be the end of the line for Deardorff cameras (except for the haters, of course).

The true Deardorff line ended when they sold everything to Mr. Cochran, in my opinion.

Taija71A
28-Oct-2016, 07:09
The true Deardorff line ended when they sold everything to Mr. Cochran, in my opinion.

+1. Agreed in full.

bloodhoundbob
28-Oct-2016, 07:58
If he has declared bankruptcy the trustee would sell off the assets. At that point the debtor has no choice, but he could offer the largest bid at the auction and win all the assets back without further debt.

Bob, I'm not sure if he has declared bankruptcy, as the conversation with his attorney was limited to resolving the issue of the money that he owes me. One of my thoughts before I went to court was that he might have done so and that I would be unable to collect. At any rate, we did work out an agreement for me to be paid, which the judge ratified.

Tim Meisburger
28-Oct-2016, 22:51
I would bid on the business if it were up for sale. I need something to do in retirement....

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2016, 08:18
Bob, I'm not sure if he has declared bankruptcy, as the conversation with his attorney was limited to resolving the issue of the money that he owes me. One of my thoughts before I went to court was that he might have done so and that I would be unable to collect. At any rate, we did work out an agreement for me to be paid, which the judge ratified.
If he had declared bankruptcy then he probably could not have been taken to small claims court as you have an unsecured debt with him.

bloodhoundbob
29-Oct-2016, 09:08
If he had declared bankruptcy then he probably could not have been taken to small claims court as you have an unsecured debt with him.

That was my thinking, as well. All I know is that he has a ton of inventory that I hope does not go to waste.

pierre506
29-Oct-2016, 16:52
I would bid on the business if it were up for sale. I need something to do in retirement....
Barry asked too much about selling Deardorff 3 years ago. He said that he won't run the business and wanted to make the Deardorff cameras quietly.

Pity about Deardorff & Barry, as a fellow said: a mixed feeling~

通过我的 VIE-AL10 上的 Tapatalk发言

Mark Sampson
29-Oct-2016, 19:18
I haven't followed this story very closely. But could it be a case like, say, Ron Wisner, where the new owner of Deardorff was a good camera builder and a terrible businessman? The complaints I've read here seem to mirror the customer-service problems people reported having with Wisner before he closed up his business and went sailing.

bloodhoundbob
14-Nov-2016, 20:42
I spoke to Barry Cochran briefly tonight about his possibly selling the business. Anyone who is seriously interested please contact me by PM.

Bob

BarryS
14-Nov-2016, 20:55
Would be nice to see someone buy the stock and continue to sell parts. Buying the business usually means assuming all debts and obligations, right? That seems crazy in this situation.

Whit
21-Dec-2016, 23:01
Hi Bob,
I met Jack in very early '80's at the factory when I was constructing cameras on my own.
I'd be interested in taking up the baton...
Whit

neil poulsen
22-Dec-2016, 00:59
I'm pleased that I was able to get three upgrades for my camera: the top lensboard strip; the bottom lensboard latch mechanism; front swing update. One was nip and tuck, as I had to open a case. But, I missed out on getting a base plate. (Shucks.)

Pete Oakley
22-Dec-2016, 07:11
I know that Cochran owes Custom Bellows a lot of money.
Pete.

bloodhoundbob
22-Dec-2016, 09:08
Barry isn't communicating with me these days, no doubt due to my court action with him. I know others have talked to him about obtaining the business from him. The only advice I can give at this point is to contact him at his cell number and take it from there.

neil poulsen
22-Dec-2016, 23:11
While I had an extended, but ultimately successful struggle getting delivery on my most recent purchase, I view my overall interaction w/Barry as positive. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to update my camera as I did.

In addition to the camera parts, I purchased from Barry a complete, mint sheet of Deardorff stamps issued by the Post Office, plus a commemorative stamped, postmarked, first day of issue envelope. Kind of neat.

David Lindquist
24-Dec-2016, 09:05
While I had an extended, but ultimately successful struggle getting delivery on my most recent purchase, I view my overall interaction w/Barry as positive. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to update my camera as I did.

In addition to the camera parts, I purchased from Barry a complete, mint sheet of Deardorff stamps issued by the Post Office, plus a commemorative stamped, postmarked, first day of issue envelope. Kind of neat.

At the risk of causing some thread drift here, getting those stamps is pretty nifty, especially the first day of issue. Themed "Photography USA", this stamp was issued in 1978. I have a recollection of reading, in a photography magazine no less, a complaint that the stamp showed an "antique camera." Not only was the camera shown still being made in the USA, the lens on it, a gold rim Dagor, was also made in USA, albeit earlier than 1978.

David

Oren Grad
24-Dec-2016, 09:23
At the risk of causing some thread drift here, getting those stamps is pretty nifty, especially the first day of issue. Themed "Photography USA", this stamp was issued in 1978. I have a recollection of reading, in a photography magazine no less, a complaint that the stamp showed an "antique camera." Not only was the camera shown still being made in the USA, the lens on it, a gold rim Dagor, was also made in USA, albeit earlier than 1978.

Both the stamp and first day covers are widely available inexpensively from dealers in US stamps. It's Scott #1758, for anyone who wants to search for it.

neil poulsen
24-Dec-2016, 18:05
At the risk of causing some thread drift here, getting those stamps is pretty nifty, especially the first day of issue. . .

I sure agree. It was designed in the USA, widely sold in the USA, and widely used in the USA. I think of it as the classic, American camera.