PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix chipped paint inside film holders?

williaty
20-Oct-2016, 14:08
Some of the film holders I've been given and (to my massive annoyance) bought have chipped or otherwise damaged black paint on the flat area inside the holder where the film rests. What's the best way to re-blacken this area?

Jac@stafford.net
20-Oct-2016, 15:06
I have never had a film holder with paint anywhere.
Throw them away.

RJ-
20-Oct-2016, 15:16
Hi,

If you are referring to wooden (older) holders, any flat black hobby enamel paint can used. This kind of touch up finish does not flake or create dusty paint particles within the holder.

Plate and bookform holders often come with over a century of marks and scratches. You can completely respray them if the damage is significant enough to cause internal refraction issues between the film and the holder. Even if they are cracked, they can be restored although can be a challenge to do so.

The modern plastic brands of film holders are perhaps what most photographers use and these do not rely on painted finish. Modern holders avail of more high tech materials like carbon fibre of ABS plastics and do not mark or leach the flat black finish.

Kind regards
RJ

Drew Wiley
20-Oct-2016, 15:21
It can take months for a true enamel paint to fully outgas. Just be aware of this. It can mess with your film.

Michael E
20-Oct-2016, 15:24
I have never had a film holder with paint anywhere.
Throw them away.

Send them to me instead. I have lots of film holders with black paint inside.

RJ-
20-Oct-2016, 15:25
"It can take months for a true enamel paint to fully outgas. Just be aware of this. It can mess with your film."

That is so true. It could explain why so many images are full of hot air.

LabRat
20-Oct-2016, 15:35
As long as no more paint is chipping (that can leave debris inside that will end up on the film), not an issue for use, as film has the AH backing so light will not reflect much through the film while exposing...

If it bothers you, dab up the bare spots with a black Sharpie, and let it fully dry for a few hours before use...

Steve K

Drew Wiley
20-Oct-2016, 16:04
Words of wisdom. Sharpie pen.

scm
20-Oct-2016, 16:33
Birchwood Casey Touch-Up Paint Pen (https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Super-Black%E2%84%A2-Touch-Up-Pen.aspx)

Liquid Artist
20-Oct-2016, 21:19
I use a Sharpie, and have never had a problem.
I usually can't even see the repair.

williaty
20-Oct-2016, 21:25
So it sounds like the universal consensus is that the film doesn't care and if it bothers me I should just dot it black with a marker.

Leigh
20-Oct-2016, 21:30
Another vote for the Sharpie.

They cover a world of defects.

- Leigh

Doremus Scudder
21-Oct-2016, 00:53
I've used a Sharpie too for small chips. For larger areas (and a neater job) I've had good luck with Rustoleum brand flat black spray paint. Mask off the frame and sides and just spray the entire film septum with a light coat.

However, both of these fixes are mostly, if not completely, cosmetic. Film has an anti-halation backing that is pretty efficient. I doubt that you would ever get noticeable reflections from light passing through the film, hitting a bare spot and then re-exposing the film through the back. You could just leave the holders as they are.

Best,

Doremus