PDA

View Full Version : Wow, stunning

CedarMesaPhoto
10-Oct-2016, 22:30
After seeing the way you folks respond to people who ask questions about policy and such, I must say, just go ahead and delete my account....I won't be using it anymore. What a bunch of rude people. I am serious, delete me please.
Thanks

Mark Sawyer
10-Oct-2016, 23:55
Compared to the current presidential debates, I find the conflicts here quite civilized and sincere. Sorry we don't meet your expectations. 'Bye...

BrianShaw
11-Oct-2016, 05:09
I know exactly what you feel but encourage you to reconsider and take a different approach. Simply log in less and participate less. The current turmoil has brought out opinions of some folks who, albeit either talented an/or educated, come with profound and varied temperaments. Over time either things will settle out or not. But don't bite off your nose to spite your face.

Two23
11-Oct-2016, 06:24
After seeing the way you folks respond to people who ask questions about policy and such, I must say, just go ahead and delete my account....I won't be using it anymore. What a bunch of rude people. I am serious, delete me please.
Thanks

Quite a bit here is tongue in cheek. Bottom line is this probably is the best collection of knowledgeable, helpful people when it comes to LF and historical gear. It's a great resource.

Kent in SD

rdenney
11-Oct-2016, 06:34
Thanks

Would you care to be specific? Maybe we offended unintentionally.

Rick "wondering who 'you folks' are" Denney

Randy
11-Oct-2016, 16:04
There are some here that have a tendency to respond in a way that they wouldn't dare - in a face to face conversation. The world is made up of all kinds. I wish the OP hadn't of thrown all of us into the same basket, but I understand their frustration after being on the receiving end on more than one occasion myself.

jeroldharter
11-Oct-2016, 19:07
This forum is a great resource available nowhere else. you should reconsider.

stawastawa
11-Oct-2016, 20:30
I was hoping to find a stunning photograph in this thread.
Guess I'll look elsewhere.

jnanian
11-Oct-2016, 20:40
unfortunately there are cranky people everwhere in life, even on online forums ( fora ? ) .
its too bad you didn't look beyond the cranky and see the photography.
there is really more photogaphy than cranky here, even though lately
there is more cranky ( inclusing your post ).

RSalles
12-Oct-2016, 00:20
Sorry to see you going away. I have subscribed to your Youtube photo channel and really enjoy the way you drove it. I think you're a person with real interest in help people, share your experience and love photography, as I do.
For the subject in question, I just ignore it, staying away from it like a plague.
I'm happy to have a real life too, that counter-balances a bit the net/forum interaction,

Best,

Renato

Halford
12-Oct-2016, 00:29
I would also suggest sticking around. Think of this as a microcosm of life. There are a bunch of people brought together by an interest in common -- but otherwise they are incredibly diverse. And sometimes that diversity of temperament and attitude means there will be incidents of people rubbing each other the wrong way. And there are a few people with the unenviable (and unpaid, and thankless) task of trying to keep it all on the rails and pointed in a more or less constructive direction (if you'll excuse the abysmal metaphor salad). And sometimes you won't like the way they do that job, but such is life.

Of course there have been a few incidents where collisions of values have been particularly distressing (and I'll admit, one or two that have left me saddened), but hey, have you seen the news lately? That's the world in a nutshell, there's no getting away from it.

What it does not do is take away from the immense richness of knowledge- and experience-sharing about the reason we are here.
For the most part I find it helpful to just pay no attention to threads that get fighty, and when something does distress me, to remember that the forum doesn't actually owe me anything. It's just people.

So to nick a quote from Douglas Adams: 'Share and Enjoy' :)

DennisD
12-Oct-2016, 06:01
From the response comments in this thread, it's very clear there are many members who care about the forum and the benefits it offers.

It's true there are threads which become contentious and situations where people are over-reactive. But you might experience that anywhere, not just on this forum !

Best advice is to back away from those conversations.

There's far more to be lost (than gained) by your leaving.

John Layton
12-Oct-2016, 07:10
I think this is a great forum...and find the variety of opinions/viewpoints/perspectives to be generally valuable. However...thinking out loud here, I sometimes wonder if the occasional bouts of incivility might be moderated somewhat were all of us required to use our actual, full names as our user-names.

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 08:56
Well, they don't seem to have deleted me, so I guess I will stay around unless they do. Thanks for the nice comments. What irked me so much the other night were not comments in the main threads, it was comments in this feedback section. It is a real shame when you see several of the big proponents of large format photography leaving because they don't feel welcome (not me, other people).

bob carnie
12-Oct-2016, 09:16
I remember the days of Fred Picker notes and anxiously waiting each month, Now we have Forums where we all can be insulted or praised within seconds of posting, I prefer these forums as I learn new tricks each week by many members contributions here.

Sometimes a thick skin is helpful here as our communications can be misread.

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 09:20
Thanks Bob, but communications like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out," and "Maybe this forum isn't for you" are not hard to understand.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 09:23
And I guess a better question would be why are comments like those still in place when a simple question about bellows extension or coverage on a for sale item are deemed unfit?

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 09:31
But, there are no good answers for that, so I will just avoid the feedback section from now on.

bob carnie
12-Oct-2016, 09:47
Yea those examples are pretty clear. I wish my ex wife had said that .

Thanks Bob, but communications like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out," and "Maybe this forum isn't for you" are not hard to understand.

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2016, 10:06
And I guess a better question would be why are comments like those still in place when a simple question about bellows extension or coverage on a for sale item are deemed unfit?

There are moderation inconsistencies as well as forum vision/intent inconsistencies... hence the current discussions and turmoil. But such is life (as someone said earlier).

But the comments directed specifically at you were rude, uncalled for, and should not have been tolerated.

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 10:12
They were not directed at me, someone else.

Jerry Bodine
12-Oct-2016, 10:13
Welcome back to the fold, Cedar. You won't regret it. There's so much helpful info to be gained from the membership, and we are (in general) eager to provide any help we can, as we ALL benefit to some degree. BTW, would you like to give us some more info about yourself, e.g., are you a newbie _ aka "noob" - so we know your level of experience in LF? It'd be helpful for us to know, so we'd better understand how to phrase our responses. Also, there's a benefit I've found here that's seldom proclaimed: One can learn to use civil language carefully so as not to misunderstood (I've messed that up a time or two and learned from it).

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2016, 10:52

Oh, sorry. I should have done my fact checking before writing that. No matter, they were rude, uncalled for, and should not have been tolerated (in my opinion... which really doesn't count for much).

Dan Fromm
12-Oct-2016, 14:28
In post # 16 in this thread, CedarMesaPhoto said

communications like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out," and "Maybe this forum isn't for you" are not hard to understand.

Clarification came in post # 21

The offensive text quoted was posted in response to continued rants. Not nice but there was more than ample provocation.

In post # 17, CMP added

Not so much deemed unfit responses are not allowed in FS threads. The rationale, as I understand it, it to eliminate bumping.

There are ways around the prohibition. If you have a question, ask the seller via PM. If the seller wants others to see the question and answer, it is allowed to post them in the FS thread. Or start an thread on the main board, as I did this morning. See http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?134011-dubious-coverage-claim-in-for-sale-listing

CMP, I think you’re over-reacting.

CedarMesaPhoto
12-Oct-2016, 14:32
Well probably.....