PDA

View Full Version : ideas where to look for a 2nd hand 8x10 enlarger(no ebay links..thx)..in Europe

zsolt
6-Oct-2016, 00:32
would Anyone have suggestions where to look for a used 8x10 enlarger?could use some ideas here..or could you tell your story how you found yours to give me-us an idea?:)not ebay-or auction sites..
im located in Barcelona,but i can pay for shipping..anyone has some ideas where would be possible to find one?graphic arts places?
if you have one that you would give away-sell for a small price,Please contact me,and we can talk it over!
Thanks Everyone!
zsolt

Ted R
6-Oct-2016, 09:26
There is a dealer in the UK for used enlargers www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk they don't seem to show a 8x10 now however it may be useful to contact them and ask. My experience with the website is that it does not work with Internet Explorer however it does work with Google Chrome.

Tin Can
6-Oct-2016, 09:55
Join as many forums that are EU specific and bleat. Meaning keep asking and talking about what you want.

Sooner or later you will have it.

IanG
6-Oct-2016, 10:16
10x8 enlargers are becoming much harder to find. I bought my De Vere 5108 on ebay about 12 years ago and at that time there would be 30-40 5x4 and maybe 2 or 3 10x8 De Vere's listed whenever I looked, Now they are rarely listed there's no 5x4's but a 5108 UK and a 10x10 in Canada, this usually means they sell easily, £950 is reasonable now for a 5108 but $55,000 means the one in Toronto is going to be hard to sell. I'm sure Bob Carnie had similar enlarger maybe slightly larger.

Almost all sellers will want you to collect and dismantle it yourself, I had to hire a van to pick up mine. The cost and time taken todismantle, package and then ship a 10x8 enlarger will put most sellers off.

Ian

Luis-F-S
6-Oct-2016, 11:02
I found mine in the US through Craigslist. Not sure if there is such a website in España. I would look in such and as you said, graphic arts and old photo processing labs. As Ian said, they are getting harder to find. There's one in the US with a complete darkroom for around $3k, I'm frankly surprised it hasn't sold. Good Luck. L

Nicolasllasera
6-Oct-2016, 11:03
If you are in Barcelona join Formatomedio.eu and granformato.eu. maybe someone has one. I have one ans Im in Bilbao, but not for sale. Another friend has one in Girona but dont think he wants to sell. In madrid I know of 4 of them but in use at the moment. Let me know if you need help here, i moderate both forums.

zsolt
6-Oct-2016, 11:39
Thanks for the ideas everyone!and specially thanks Randy for the encouraging!
i know,noticed that they are more rare nowadays..and the ones i found cost as much as my house:)
but hope dies last!specially mine;)

zs.

zsolt
6-Oct-2016, 11:39
Nicolasllasera Thanks!
Pm-ed you!

Carl J
6-Oct-2016, 13:24
I found mine in the US through Craigslist. Not sure if there is such a website in España. I would look in such and as you said, graphic arts and old photo processing labs. As Ian said, they are getting harder to find. There's one in the US with a complete darkroom for around $3k, I'm frankly surprised it hasn't sold. Good Luck. L

I think the $3k one is spoken for (although, unfortunately, not by me).

plaubel
6-Oct-2016, 13:49
Maybe two or three month ago, one guy offered a Durst 8x10 in our german LF forum, working best, and recently overhauled from Mr. Kienzle, if my memory is ok.
I don't know, if it has been sold, but I don't think so.
It's a 3000 Euro thing, but worth every cent what I have seen.
This guy has a very good reputation here, so if you are really interested, feel free to ask for further steps...

Ritchie

Oren Grad
6-Oct-2016, 14:20
Folks, if you want to talk about specific items offered by identified private sellers, rather than general advice and resources, please take the discussion to PM. zsolt, if you'd like to solicit such offers, please post in the WTB section. Thanks!

ic-racer
6-Oct-2016, 16:12
I found mine by reading this very forum. Turns out the enlarger was in a building I passed and still pass every day on the way to work.

This is how the enlarger looked when I went to see it for the first time:

This is how it looks now:

Luis-F-S
7-Oct-2016, 05:29
Hey IC your enlarger's sideways!

MartinP
7-Oct-2016, 08:44
Talking of sideways enlargers . . . A substitute enlarger, that may even be more practical for many home-darkrooms, would be to make an illumination source (maybe a lightpad, as mentioned before in LFP) and a neg-holder to temporarily convert an 8x10 camera in to a horizontal enlarger. Such products used to exist commercially. The tricky bit would be alignment, but various cheap-ish laser alignment device should make that simple. Magnetic noticeboards are easily available for use as a paper-easel, up on a convenient wall. Such a project would probably be simpler than designing, or refurbishing, a huge vertical enlarger where such machines are not common.

ic-racer
7-Oct-2016, 15:49
Hey IC your enlarger's sideways!
I actually have made only a few horizontal projection prints. But I kept the enlarger sideways like that for a few months with a weight on the bellows to straighten the sagging. It actually worked. With the enlarger vertical, as I normally use it, there is only a hint of curve.

Martin Aislabie
16-Oct-2016, 09:39
Have you tried Oddyssey - http://www.odyssey-sales.co.uk/refurbished.htm

They took over DeVere enlargers when the original company went to the wall

Martin