PDA

View Full Version : Neg-a-flat mystery

Jac@stafford.net
25-Sep-2016, 15:24
So I got a Neg-a-flat 4x5 carrier properly modified for my Omega enlarger.

Of course (or not), my 4x5 negatives do not stretch, clip-in flat as I expected. The negative looks like mid-ocean long wave.

Is it me? Or is the device simply lacking?

Net wisdom is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jac

Randy Moe
25-Sep-2016, 17:04
Every person here will say you must use glass.

Mine works for me, is all I will say.

Peter Gomena
25-Sep-2016, 17:48
Mine worked fine, but I didn't like how the little grabbers scratched the emulsion and base of the film and abandoned it.

John Olsen
25-Sep-2016, 18:44
My Neg-a flat works very well, and has for 30 years. Maybe yours is damaged? Do the grabber bars on each side come down smoothly and symmetrically? Sorry to hear yours is not working for you.

Graham Patterson
25-Sep-2016, 19:25
You put the film in with the lever at mid-point. There are two moving metal plates on each side and the film goes between them. So you close it enough to get the lower one horizontal, then the negative goes in, and then it closes fully and the upper plate grabs the film.

The lower plate actually lifts the film when you open it all the way.

Paul Ewins
25-Sep-2016, 20:01
I used one successfully when I had my Beseler 45, but it was a bit fiddly until you got the knack of it. I rather suspect that these were meant for the thinner pack film.

Greg Y
25-Sep-2016, 20:42
Mine, bought used here, works like a charm, on a Beseler 45mXT

EdSawyer
26-Sep-2016, 06:11
I am with Peter - I had one, didn't like how it worked, sold it. Got an anti-newton glass carrier instead.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Sep-2016, 06:17
I am with Peter - I had one, didn't like how it worked, sold it. Got an anti-newton glass carrier instead.

I'm going to look for just that, Ed.

Kirk Gittings
26-Sep-2016, 09:04
Back inthe day, I shot a ton of Tri-x Film packs. These use a thin film base and tend to droop and also move with the heat of a long exposure. I use a Neg-a-flat when printing these. Yes it leaves marks that are outside the image area. I do not care about the marks as the NaF does eliminate the sagging and negative popping on long exposures. A very useful tool. In this dusty environment I live in, I try to avoid glass carriers that add surfaces to collect dust. I owned one but sold it.

Drew Wiley
26-Sep-2016, 09:27
I'm one of those folks who religiously believes in quality glass carriers, with glass on both sides. I'm very skeptical of alternate methods being capable of maintaining true negative flatness, so will leave it at that.

bob carnie
26-Sep-2016, 09:54
As Kirk points out his region can be a killer for dust, I am lucky enough to have 7 months of good humidity , and for the rest I pump the room.
I also like glass carriers as I do a lot of split filter work where I use 3 filters all the time and I want to make sure nothing moves.

One underrated aspect of small and medium format printing is one needs to brace the top of the enlargement so there is no column sway.

Drew Wiley
26-Sep-2016, 10:17
I'd rather invest in a serious air cleaner than a Nega-Flat. But clay playa dust does kinda come with the territory in the Southwest, and it sure can get into things!

John Olsen
26-Sep-2016, 17:08
You put the film in with the lever at mid-point. There are two moving metal plates on each side and the film goes between them. So you close it enough to get the lower one horizontal, then the negative goes in, and then it closes fully and the upper plate grabs the film.

The lower plate actually lifts the film when you open it all the way.
Do you have a photo of yours? This sounds different from mine.

Graham Patterson
27-Sep-2016, 10:33
I will see what I can do.

Graham Patterson
1-Oct-2016, 10:41
It seemed easier to put the images on a web page, but I can copy them here is people prefer. http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/negaflat.html. One of the pair of flaps on each side grips the negative, and the upper one acts as the pulling element. As the carrier is half-closed the grips come into contact with the film. When the lever is fully closed the upper flaps come down and pull everything outward.

There are springs in each corner that even out the tension. If the negative goes in emulsion down, the gripping is done on the back.

John Olsen
1-Oct-2016, 13:30
It seemed easier to put the images on a web page, but I can copy them here is people prefer. http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/negaflat.html. One of the pair of flaps on each side grips the negative, and the upper one acts as the pulling element. As the carrier is half-closed the grips come into contact with the film. When the lever is fully closed the upper flaps come down and pull everything outward.

There are springs in each corner that even out the tension. If the negative goes in emulsion down, the gripping is done on the back.

Yes, thanks Graham for posting the image. Yours is the same as mine. I just hadn't understood the description you posted earlier. The quoted description here makes sense (maybe I'm being obtuse today). Anyway, I prefer the Negaflat to my antinewton ring holder (but I'm also happy that other people feel differently - I'm not trying to start an argument here).

Graham Patterson
2-Oct-2016, 11:21
I think my first description was off slightly. I have dropped a negative in with the unit at the mid-point and wondered why it wasn't level! I like mine.