PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cutter - Appropriate size for matts up to 22x26 ?

Ken Lee
24-Sep-2016, 13:41
I plan to cut matts for prints up to 16x20, not on an industrial scale but as needed. The matts would go up to roughly 22x26 but I also need to make them at a variety of non-standard sizes for a project.

I see a lot of Logan matt cutters on the auction site: would a 32 inch be the appropriate size ? Would a 40 inch unit be better, easier, wiser ?

Is the appropriate size related to the size of typical matt board ? Is that 32x40 ?

(I'm clueless: up to now I've paid a gallery to make matts)

Many thanks !

Keith Pitman
24-Sep-2016, 13:57
I mount 16x20s on 22x28 mat boards. I use a Logan Compact Mat Cutter that I bought about 20 years ago for $90. Meets my needs fine. Looks like it would handle mat boards up to 29". By the way, cutting mats is easy once you done a few (and ruined a few).

faberryman
24-Sep-2016, 14:31
The main issue is the width of the boarders. The smaller Logan's go up to 4 inches, the larger ones go up to 5.5 inches.

Peter Gomena
24-Sep-2016, 14:58
If you buy mat board in standard 32x40" sheets, you want the 40" cutter. Logan cutters include a straight blade holder for cutting down larger sheets, and the sheets won't fit the 30" model.

jp
24-Sep-2016, 15:20
I've got the 450 intermediate (and I recommend it) and it appears the "450-1" is a newer better version worth looking into.

Ken Lee
24-Sep-2016, 16:31
Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies !

Jim Becia
24-Sep-2016, 18:31
I plan to cut matts for prints up to 16x20, not on an industrial scale but as needed. The matts would go up to roughly 22x26 but I also need to make them at a variety of non-standard sizes for a project.

I see a lot of Logan matt cutters on the auction site: would a 32 inch be the appropriate size ? Would a 40 inch unit be better, easier, wiser ?

Is the appropriate size related to the size of typical matt board ? Is that 32x40 ?

(I'm clueless: up to now I've paid a gallery to make matts)

Many thanks !

Ken,

As someone who has cut thousands of mats over the past 25 years, I recommend the 40 inch cutter. If you can get your hands on a reasonably priced Fletcher 2200, get it. It is one that is precise and will last a lifetime. I've had my 60 inch
Fletcher for over 25 years and it is still working perfectly.

neil poulsen
24-Sep-2016, 20:22
If you buy mat board in standard 32x40" sheets, you want the 40" cutter. Logan cutters include a straight blade holder for cutting down larger sheets, and the sheets won't fit the 30" model.

Definitely. I rarely cut mattes above 16x20. I have a 40" and wouldn't want anything smaller.

As another recommendation, consider a matte-board cutter with the perpendicular metal guide. I find that the be very helpful.

Willie
25-Sep-2016, 06:04
http://www.pictureframingequipment.com/Classified%20Page.htm

Take a look at what is on the used market. Fletcher as well as C&H are way above Logan though the latest Logan models since they bought Chronomat are much better than anything they previously made.

A good used professional model will pay for itself in ease of use for decades.

nbagno
25-Sep-2016, 06:32
I found a fletcher 2100 on eBay a few years ago for super cheap. Parts are still available... Thing will last a long long time. Needs a big table space, I stand mine on end when finished. Nice to get the production stops with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk